Cleaning Stained Tupperware

Category Dishes
Certain foods, such as tomato based sauces, can stain your Tupperware. This is a guide about cleaning stained Tupperware.

If you get spaghetti stains in your tupperware, you can avoid this by spraying the dish with cooking spray. Also setting your stained dishes in the sun will work as well. No more nasty stains.

I put iced tea in a white Tupperware container. I can't get the stain out with regular washing (I do not have a dishwasher). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Doris from Parma, OH

Answers

Best Answer

Tea and coffee stains on hard surfaces like mugs and teapots come off using baking soda like a cleanser. It's worth trying on your Tupperware. It won't leave a taste like bleach would, and it doesn't scratch like commercial cleansers.

Dip a damp sponge or cloth in dry baking soda and scrub away! If it is surface staining it should come right off. If it is deeper you may have to soak it as others have suggested.

Anonymous
Best Answer

When I sold Tupper, they gave us this recipe and instructions to hand out to all who came to the party.

Cleaning Tupperware

1 cup bleach
½ cup vinegar

soak in a sinkful of water for at least half a day. Overnight is best. Then rinse and set it out in the sunshine for at least a day. Let the sun get to the inside of the piece. It should come out like new.

I wonder if anyone has some good ideas for removing stains on Tupperware? Some of my tumblers got stained, probably from sitting in dirty dishwater too long. I hope there is something I can do besides pitching them.

Thanks.
Debbie from IL

Answers:

Stained Tupperware

I'm a guest to the forums, but remembered visiting back when I had purchased some stained Tupperware in a thrift store. It had a heavy yellow stain that I thought would come out and it was cheap so I bought it. I got home and cleaned it and it never came out that way, so next I tried the leave it in the hot sun for a few days trick and it still did not come out. Eventually I did get the stain out purely as an accident.

Since it had not come out the previous ways, I had delegated it to the container I used when making sourdough starter. I set it outside in the sun to keep warm and after about a few days I had a nice starter to make bread with. I put that starter into a glass jar and put it into the fridge. When I cleaned my poor stained Tupperware pitcher, the stain was gone. yay! I guess the little guys liked eating the stain away. Also got a nice loaf of bread.

If as a last ditch resort you want to try this, just Google for any sourdough starter recipe and give it a go. Remember to feed your starter each day. It can take anywhere from 3-7 days to get it foaming right. Even if you kill your starter, your Tupperware should in theory be clean right? I have not tried this on my other stained pieces, but all I know is I made one starter and my pitcher was bleached nice and clean. (05/12/2006)

By Barbara in Vegas

Stained Tupperware

I buy the liquid dishwasher detergent (generic will work). Make a very strong mix with water and fill the stained plastic. Let it set overnight in the sink. By the next morning, the stains should be gone. (07/16/2006)

By mckaysatt

Stained Tupperware

Using "Spray and Wash" on them for a short time works wonders. Someone told me about that hint a couple of years ago. It works really well, also cuts grease and the sticky texture you get after long use. I have some that are 30 years old and I am still using them. Try that way and see how you like the results.

(07/18/2006)

By Dee

Stained Tupperware

I've recently tried the sun method and to my astonishment it works. (07/18/2006)

By Beth

Stained Tupperware

I would recommend Clorox CleanUp, my answer for many cleaning problems. It's fairly inexpensive and works great. (07/19/2006)

By Claudia-MD

Stained Tupperware

Tupperware has a lifetime guarantee so if you can't get the stains out, you can try contacting a dealer and get them swapped. I had the same problem and they replaced the bowl with no hassle even though it was over 10 years old. (I live in Denmark, but I assume the lifetime guarantee is worldwide) (07/21/2006)

By feemayl

How do you clean stained plastic (aka Tupperware) containers? They were once clear but now are beige or were a particular color and now have a tinge to that color.

Hook Family from USA

Answers:

Sun Bleached

I have heard that you can put your stained Tupperware bowls out in the sun and the sun bleaches them. A girl at my church says this is what her grandmother does and it works. It's worth a try and it's free. (01/26/2006)

By luv2craft

Baking Soda

A paste of baking soda and water works really well. I usually mix the soda and water and let the containers sit over night but if there are any cracks in the plastic they go on to other non-food uses. I'm a bit paranoid about the chemicals in the plastic leaching into food. I love the Pyrex glass storage containers and only have a few Tupperware containers floating around! (01/26/2006)

By Madelynnsmama

The Sun

I've had good luck with clear Tupperware that's been stained by spaghetti sauce. I just put them out on the driveway in the sun on a clear, hot Texas day. The sun did, indeed, "bleach" the stain right out! (01/27/2006)

By Barb

Bleach

Bleach has worked, but also try rinsing with cold water and using a paper towel to wipe out immediately, if you are at work. It seems to work for me. (01/27/2006)

http://www.frugalforlife.com

By FFL

Tupperware is Guaranteed

Tupperware is guaranteed for life to be table worthy - your nearest Tupperware dealer should be able to replace them with the same or like item. (01/28/2006)

By gumbysue

Preventing Stained Tupperware

A tip for the future, spray Tupperware with PAM before putting tomato based foods in it. You shouldn't have the problem again. (02/01/2006)

By Luvyabye