Stained Tupperware

I put iced tea in a white Tupperware container. I can't get the stain out with regular washing (I do not have a dishwasher). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By doris gordon from Parma, OH

Best Answer

Tea and coffee stains on hard surfaces like mugs and teapots come off using baking soda like a cleanser. It's worth trying on your Tupperware. It won't leave a taste like bleach would, and it doesn't scratch like commercial cleansers.
Dip a damp sponge or cloth in dry baking soda and scrub away! If it is surface staining it should come right off. If it is deeper you may have to soak it as others have suggested.

Anonymous

I use the oil from my fingers to remove coffee and tea stains BEFORE I wash them, not sure why but it works!

Anonymous
Best Answer

When I sold Tupper, they gave us this recipe and instructions to hand out to all who came to the party.

Cleaning Tupperware

1 cup bleach
½ cup vinegar

soak in a sinkful of water for at least half a day. Overnight is best. Then rinse and set it out in the sunshine for at least a day. Let the sun get to the inside of the piece. It should come out like new.

I've sold Tupperware for 30+ years and I have NEVER been told to mix bleach and Vinegar. They do however suggest putting lemon juice in them and setting in sunlight for several hours

NEVER MIX BLEACH WITH VINEGAR! It produces a toxic fume- chlorine gas. It can seriously harm you.

NEVER mix bleach and vinegar together. It creates harmful fumes much like bleach and ammonia!

Fill up the container with hot soapy water and add a splash of bleach. Let it sit 10 minutes and that should do the trick.

I don't know if you used the bleach trick - but without a dishwasher - you better soak that container for a really long time in plain water after using bleach. If any soap comes in contact with it it will cause a chemical reaction.

If any food is tored in it, it will taste like bleach. Tupperware is not made to be washed in bleach.
I would try soaking it in baking soda and really hot water. If it is still stained, I would try really hot water with lots of white vinegar. Those are both safe for you and your family.

Tea is used to stain fabric, but should never do any harm to a non-porous substance. If you can't clean it, call your local Tupperware dealer and get a replacement. They come with a lifetime guarantee.

Fill with hot water, put 1/4 cup regular household bleach in, set for an hour should be good.