Concerns With Sweet Gum Tree

I have what I believe is a sweet gum tree in the front yard. It is July and all of the leaves have turned red.

I know this is normal for the fall, but as I said it is July. There is noticeable moss on the bark and a light green flaking moss (?) on most of the branches and it appears to be missing spots of bark on many of the branches.
While taking the pictures I also noticed a lot of ant activity and some small holes around the trunk. Is this tree dying? Is there anything I can do? I have included a few pictures. One photo is the tree turning red, one is a look at one of the branches and the last is a closeup of the "mildew" or moss?

Thanks for the input!

By Ryan

Answers

We finally got rid of the sweet gum tree in our yard. I think it was about 30 years old and such a pain in the. My husband hated it from day one (we've been in the house 2 years now) and finally paid to have it cut down. It was a beautiful shade tree but the sweet gum balls and leaves were just too much! I hope you can save your tree if you want to, but I can't imagine wanting to. Google sweet gum tree and see what people say about this particular pain!

Problems With A Sweet Gum Tree
Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthJuly 9, 2011
Uses for Sweet Gum Balls
Uses for Sweet Gum Balls
Sweet Gum Balls
Buying Sweet Gum Balls
Gum Drops
Gum Drop Cookie Recipes
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
🎄