Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

My cat threw up on my light beige rug--a nylon blend. I cleaned it up and coated area with shaving cream. Later on when I tried to clean more thoroughly, the stain would not come out. It is orange and very evident. I tried a rug cleaner, baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, oxiclean - I seem to be making it worse instead of cleaning it up. Any suggestions on how I can get it removed?

Thanks,
Monica from Northeast, PA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Larry Habdas08/09/2008

Pour large amount of baking soda on vomit; leave for 2 hours or longer. Pick up with paper towels or vacuum. Another good product: club soda. Saturate the stain, after first picking up the vomit/particles, then BLOT. Both of these work better than any commercial product we've tried.

By (Guest Post)07/11/2008

I had this problem with my Siamese and had tried every kind of food out there. Then Iams came out with their sensitive stomach formula (in the pink bag). Since switching to that, my Belle has not thrown up at all, previously she threw up about 5 times a week. It is more expensive but worth every penny in my book! Robbyn in Wisconsin

By Lori (Guest Post)07/09/2008

Two words - SPOT SHOT

I swear by it and have been using it for years for cat vomit.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)07/02/2008

I also have a cat who spits up hairballs on my carpet. I really like Woolite carpet cleaner for that purpose. I was able to get a free sample of the little rather ball shaped applicator and found it indispensible. Because they cannot be replenished with carpet cleaner, I bought a spray bottle of cleaner and used up applicator together. (You will know what I'm talking about once you see the applicator. It has a scrubber.)

I would not use anything foamy to clean carpet. Foam attracts dirt and you have to keep recleaning that area.

Also, I would not use peroxide as it will take the dye out of the carpet.

Good luck

By Beth [25]06/30/2008

I have had good luck with Resolve spot carpet cleaner for pets.

By Anonymous [848]06/26/2008

If you try peroxide, test it in a corner first because peroxide is a color lifting/color depositing agent ...

By JAN (Guest Post)06/25/2008

A friend told me about peroxide. I use it for all stains in the carpet, even blood. Get the solid stuff up first, pat the wet spot with a dry paper towel, and use peroxide. It will even work if not taken care of immediately. Inexpensive too.

By Anonymous [848]06/25/2008

Have had several kitty rescues and at one time five at the same time ... The best idea below is professional cleaning (to get rid of chemical residue and stains) and then thereafter I suggest (creepy as it sounds) to leave until the throw up dries and then vacuum ... The chances of stains are so small at that point because no rubbing damp stuff in to the carpet ... If a bit of stain still remains in the carpet after that then use white vinegar to scrub what might remain ... Personally I've found zero stains if patient for the drying process ... As a reminder, place a paper towel or dry rag over the spot as a reminder to not put pressure/step on it til dry ...

By Darlene (Guest Post)06/25/2008

Hi Monica I live in Fairview Pa. The best stuff that you can get you should be able to buy at Wegman's if you make it into Erie. I do not know but your grocery store might carry it. It is called Spot Shot. It comes in a orange & blue can.Y ou spray it on your carpet and generally the first time it works. As they say on the can you can watch as it works. And it really works! We even use it on laundry stains that you can not get out with anything else. Good Luck I think you will be happy with it. I love it. Darlene

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

We have carpet stains due to one of our cats throwing up. I have tried nearly every "home remedy" and product on the market, to no avail. The stains appear to go away, but come back within a few days. I would like to avoid replacing expensive Berber carpeting!

Steph from Eastern Iowa

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

I know you said you tried everything, but have you tried Nature's Miracle, or Simple Solution? I have had really good luck with it when my kids threw up and dog pooped on the carpet. You can usually get it at a pet store. I hope that helps.(12/30/2005)

By raette

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

What you use is not as important as what you said about the spot coming back in a few days. In the industry we call this re-soiling. You basically have left a residue in the carpet causing new dirt to "stick" to the area. Rinse with plenty of clear water and vac out with a shop vac or a carpet extractor. You may have to repeat this clear rinse method a few times to get all the residue out. Adding some white vinegar will help if you don't mind the smell. (12/30/2005)

By Ann29

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

You are probably going to have to hire a professional carpet cleaning company to come and clean the spot for you if you have any hope of removing it permanently. (12/30/2005)

By Robin

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

I try to get the cat spit up ASAP. I pick it up in paper toweling. I try to lift it up rather than rub.. which results in grinding it into the nap of the carpeting. Then, I get a rag which I have wet with cold water. I dont use any soap or detergent. I wet the area with the cold water and mop it up with a dry rag. I usually only need to do this once, but if you cant get it all out the first time, you may need to repeat this step. Don't use a foam carpet cleaner because it will attract dirt from your shoes and the mark will show again. Hope this works for you... (12/31/2005)

By Carol

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

Ohhh, the dreaded cat vomit. My cats eat just dry food. Some of the brands leave worse stains. You can watch which ones are less trouble to clean up. By the way, we are happy to find the vomit dried up. It seems less staining and MUCH less disgusting to clean up. (12/31/2005)

By Iris.

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

I use Oxy cleaner like you add to laundry. It is enzymatic and breaks up organic materials. I put it in a squirt bottle with water and squirt it on. Leave it sit for a few minutes and then wipe out with a wet cloth. Doesn't always take it completely out but usually does especially if you get it quickly. (01/01/2006)

By TC in MO

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

Have you tried Folex or Awesome? I have had good luck with both. (01/04/2006)

By suzi_homemaker01

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

I use Stain Control from the makers of Odoban. I buy mine from Sam's Club, but I expect it is available elsewhere.

First I lift up the solid stuff with damp paper towels. Then I spray the stain lightly with Stain Control and leave it soak in. After a couple of minutes I wipe the stain with more clean wet paper towels, then repeat if necessary. It always works for me. (01/05/2006)

By sestanley

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

My older cat is ALWAYS throwing up on my carpeting. I feed her a "treat" every night of Friskies Salmon Dinner canned cat food and it is so smelly and impossible to get out of my carpeting. The one product that I have found that works is called "Spot Shot" made by WD-40 Company. I have tried "Resolve" carpet cleaner and a few others and they don't work at all. Try Spot Shot-It really works! Good luck on your stain to my fellow cat lovers! (07/11/2006)

By Linda from Milwaukee

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

My cat was vomiting frequently and I thought it had a sensitive stomach. Turns out that he has intestinal lymphoma. The prognosis is not good, they gave him 7-10 months to live. Please take your cat to the vet if it throws up frequently. I feel just awful for not doing something sooner, maybe they could have done more from him. (11/03/2007)

By Robin

RE: Cat Throw-Up on Carpet

I have had my bulimic cat, Lacey for 19 years. I have tried every cat food on the market. She still throws up. ANY food with the color orange seems to be the worst to clean. I have off white carpet. I have tried countless things over the years. AWESOME seems to work the best. I have noticed if the vomit dries, it is easier to come up. Spray with AWESOME, then I use a home shampooer I purchased primarily because of my cat. (05/03/2008)

By Maureen