Browsing: Substitutions for Wine in Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Substitutions for Wine in Recipes

Although many recipes call for wine, substitutions can easily be made without affecting the flavor of the finished dish. This is a guide about substitutions for wine in recipes.

A woman pouring wine into a pan.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 23, 2011 Flag

Wine can be too expensive to include in your cooking budget. Or you might just not want to use it. Well, that's no problem, because there are good, healthy substitutes for it. Cranberry juice is an excellent substitute for red wine, just choose the kind with as little sugar added as possible.

To substitute for white wine, I like apple juice, but white grape juice can be used. In dishes where the wine is not the dominant flavor, I really can't see any difference in the results. Using the juice is healthy, for you, and for your budget.

Source: I don't remember which cook book it was in, but cranberry juice was suggested as a good substitute for red wine. I started using apple juice on a hunch that it would be just as good a substitute.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

May 3, 2016 Flag

I'm making an Italian pot roast, and it calls for dry red wine. Is there anything I can sub for that?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used beef broth.

September 21, 2006 Flag

What is a good non-alcoholic substitute for red wine or white wine in recipes?

Sabrina from Golden, CO

Actually its a myth that alcohol will evaporate when cooking, in fact its been shown that some and even all of te alcohol will remain depending on the methods used

I have used cherry juice as a substitute for red wine. I buy the baby food size jars, just right for most recipes.

To all of you who think there is some alcohol remaining after cooking - bravo! But, you are in the minority, because the rest of the world thinks the opposite, as I've learned over the past several years. My unfortunate situation is that about 5 years ago I developed an allergy to alcohol. It started with wine, and gradually went to the hard stuff.

I had also assumed that the alcohol would cook out, and it took several tries to realize that the persistent lump in my throat was coming from the food I had cooked with wine. In addition, I can't have red wine, white wine, or balsamic vinegar, and at any restaurant, all the good salad dressings are made with one of those vinegars.

I have to be very careful when eating out; some places there is up to 50% of the menu (or more) than I cannot eat. And I have to go through the mantra each and ever time - I tell the waiter I can't have anything cooked in alcohol, etc, and they always come back with "Oh, the alcohol cooks out." And I have to insist, and tell them that in my case, it does not matter.

So, I've finally decided to search for substitutes, because nowadays so many recipes call for alcohol and related products. I usually just avoid them, and keep looking for some recipe that does not call for alcohol. But now that I have some ideas, I won't have to skip over all of those otherwise great sounding recipes! I'm even wondering if I can use extracts as a substitution in a recipe that calls for, say, 2 tbs of Khaluha, Rum, etc. I know that extracts contain alcohol, but I've not had a problem when I've used them in cooking.

Any and all ideas welcome!

Having taken meds that prohibit alcohol I have found that using soft drinks as a substitute for wine in marinades is an excellent alternative. Cherry Dr Pepper, Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, ginger ale, 7-up, etc all provide very different flavor profiles in the same way wines do and using diet sodas diminishes sugar content.

Read More Answers...

September 4, 2010 Flag

What can I substitute for white wine in a recipe for cooking chicken?

By Marty from Oklahoma City, OK

Apple juice or Cider Brandy extract,which is just flavoring.

I make linguine that calls for a small amount of white wine, I just use chicken broth.

I frecuently use a bit of beer (cerveza) (canned) or malta (without alcohol), Sometimes I prepare an onion/bit of beer/spices and a little of soy sauce.

I either use apple juice or cider or white grape juice.

Read More Answers...

March 19, 2013 Flag

This guide is about substituting sherry in a recipe. Wine and liqueur can be expensive to keep in the pantry for cooking.

a woman cooking with sherry

May 20, 2012 Flag

I have tried many things but cranberry juice works the best as a wine substitute. It has just the right amount of tartness and sweetness to taste very similar to wine. And where color matters it is perfect.

Source: My experience.

By Lilac from Springfield, MA

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsSeptember 22, 2011
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Woman Looking For Substitute Foods in the Fridge
Substituting Foods in Recipes
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 1:39:03 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.