Substitutions for Wine in Recipes

Although many recipes call for wine, substitutions can easily be made without affecting the flavor of the finished dish. This is a guide about substitutions for wine in recipes.

A woman pouring wine into a pan.
Filter Sort

Question: Non-alcoholic Substitute for Wine in Recipes

What is a good non-alcoholic substitute for red wine or white wine in recipes?

Sabrina from Golden, CO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By bobbib 1 Flag

Having taken meds that prohibit alcohol I have found that using soft drinks as a substitute for wine in marinades is an excellent alternative. Cherry Dr Pepper, Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, ginger ale, 7-up, etc all provide very different flavor profiles in the same way wines do and using diet sodas diminishes sugar content.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Substitutes for Wine in Recipes

By Free2B 217 350

Wine can be too expensive to include in your cooking budget. Or you might just not want to use it. Well, that's no problem, because there are good, healthy substitutes for it. Cranberry juice is an excellent substitute for red wine, just choose the kind with as little sugar added as possible.

To substitute for white wine, I like apple juice, but white grape juice can be used. In dishes where the wine is not the dominant flavor, I really can't see any difference in the results. Using the juice is healthy, for you, and for your budget.

Source: I don't remember which cook book it was in, but cranberry juice was suggested as a good substitute for red wine. I started using apple juice on a hunch that it would be just as good a substitute.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Substituting Cranberry Juice for Wine

By Lilac 20 1,329

I have tried many things but cranberry juice works the best as a wine substitute. It has just the right amount of tartness and sweetness to taste very similar to wine. And where color matters it is perfect.

Source: My experience.

By Lilac from Springfield, MA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substitute for White Wine in a Chicken Recipe

By marty 1 1

What can I substitute for white wine in a recipe for cooking chicken?

By Marty from Oklahoma City, OK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By linda 203 1 Flag

I either use apple juice or cider or white grape juice.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Sherry Substitute

By bunny 1

I am making creamy shrimp and fettuccine and need a substitute for dry sherry.

By bunny from AR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Coreen Hart 78 376 Flag

I usually use chicken broth if I don't have the right wine on hand.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substitute for Rose Wine

What can I use for a substitute?

By Bobbie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substitute for Sherry in Asian Salad Dressing

Can I use dry vermouth instead of dry sherry in a salad dressing for an Asian salad?

By Willa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsSeptember 22, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Small Bowl of Imitation Bacon
Substitutions For Bacon
Woman Looking For Substitute Foods in the Fridge
Substituting Foods in Recipes
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:28:38 PM on 10.0.2.28 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings