Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Substitutions for Wine in Recipes

Although many recipes call for wine, substitutions can easily be made without affecting the flavor of the finished dish. This is a guide about substitutions for wine in recipes.

September 23, 2011 Flag

Wine can be too expensive to include in your cooking budget. Or you might just not want to use it. Well, that's no problem, because there are good, healthy substitutes for it. Cranberry juice is an excellent substitute for red wine, just choose the kind with as little sugar added as possible.

To substitute for white wine, I like apple juice, but white grape juice can be used. In dishes where the wine is not the dominant flavor, I really can't see any difference in the results. Using the juice is healthy, for you, and for your budget.

Source: I don't remember which cook book it was in, but cranberry juice was suggested as a good substitute for red wine. I started using apple juice on a hunch that it would be just as good a substitute.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also once read that chicken stock was a good substitute for the wine called for in the recipe but when I saw a recipe that called for wine and chicken stock in the same recipe well, then that went right out the window. Now, your suggestions, that makes sense. I can't see myself going out to buy a bottle of wine just to use maybe 1/2 a cup tops for a recipe. Then how long do I have with the rest of the bottle of wine until I cook with it again since I don't drink wine?

I always hear chefs say "make sure you cook with a wine you would drink". Well that is even tougher, since I don't like wine! So, I would just like to say many, many thanks for your most helpful post.

May 20, 2012 Flag

I have tried many things but cranberry juice works the best as a wine substitute. It has just the right amount of tartness and sweetness to taste very similar to wine. And where color matters it is perfect.

Source: My experience.

By Lilac from Springfield, MA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

a woman cooking with sherry

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about substituting sherry in a recipe. Wine and liqueur can be expensive to keep in the pantry for cooking.

May 3, 2016 Flag

I'm making an Italian pot roast, and it calls for dry red wine. Is there anything I can sub for that?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used beef broth.

September 21, 2006 Flag

What is a good non-alcoholic substitute for red wine or white wine in recipes?

Sabrina from Golden, CO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Regarding how much alcohol, if any, remains in a dish after cooking: there are several variables to consider. How much alcohol was added, how long and how hot it was cooked, was it cooked in an open or covered pot, etc. I suspect a tiny amount will remain, regardless. The reason I think so is the note on non-alcoholic beer which states, "Contains less than 0.5% alcohol by vol.". To the best of my knowledge the way it's made is they brew beer, then remove the alcohol and carbonation, then pump the carbonation back into it. I presume they've found it impossible to remove all the alcohol, and the Feds decided if it had half a percent or more of alcohol it would be taxed as beer.

One word of encouragement here: I've been cooking with various spirits for years, almost never using water except to make stock. I had developed a killer hot dog chili recipe that involved heating beer and mixing it in with the broken-up ground beef. A dear friend of mine has a church friend who is dying of cancer, and who happens to love hot dogs. She wanted to take him a few so she called and asked if I had any chili. I did and told her she was welcome to it, but then she asked if it had any beer in it; turned out her friend couldn't have any alcohol at all because of some medication he was taking. So I decided to make a small batch using water instead of beer, and another small batch uxing my regular 'with beer' recipe at the same time, to be sure the only difference between them was the beer. My friend had been trying to convince me to leave the beer out, and I intended to prove to her that it needed to be there.

It didn't work out that way, though. When the two batches were done enough for a 'taste test', I tried both and discovered that, heck, I couldn't tell the difference! Now my chili no longer gets beer.

One other note though, if you have to avoid even trace amounts of alcohol please be aware that it can be found in all sorts of unsuspected places. Pure Vanilla extract contains quite a bit, as do many other extracts. Some salad dressings contain enough to be a problem. In short, pay very close attention to everything you eat or drink just to be safe.

i usually use either apple cider or juice or white grape juice.

Hey,

So my recipe calls for 1 cup of dry white wine- but it's for marinading lamb.

I saw the other suggestions, and they look great for chicken, fish or beef/pork, but I'm concerned that it will change the taste of the lamb.

I can't buy actual wine because my university prohibits alcohol. Any one have any suggestions? I might be able to buy wine-grapes juice (hope that makes sense) but it's kinda expensive. Lamb is a huge splurge, and I can't really afford too much more expense.

THANKS,

Cinna

PS I put a picture of the recipe here. :)

Actually its a myth that alcohol will evaporate when cooking, in fact its been shown that some and even all of te alcohol will remain depending on the methods used

I have used cherry juice as a substitute for red wine. I buy the baby food size jars, just right for most recipes.

To all of you who think there is some alcohol remaining after cooking - bravo! But, you are in the minority, because the rest of the world thinks the opposite, as I've learned over the past several years. My unfortunate situation is that about 5 years ago I developed an allergy to alcohol. It started with wine, and gradually went to the hard stuff.

I had also assumed that the alcohol would cook out, and it took several tries to realize that the persistent lump in my throat was coming from the food I had cooked with wine. In addition, I can't have red wine, white wine, or balsamic vinegar, and at any restaurant, all the good salad dressings are made with one of those vinegars.

I have to be very careful when eating out; some places there is up to 50% of the menu (or more) than I cannot eat. And I have to go through the mantra each and ever time - I tell the waiter I can't have anything cooked in alcohol, etc, and they always come back with "Oh, the alcohol cooks out." And I have to insist, and tell them that in my case, it does not matter.

So, I've finally decided to search for substitutes, because nowadays so many recipes call for alcohol and related products. I usually just avoid them, and keep looking for some recipe that does not call for alcohol. But now that I have some ideas, I won't have to skip over all of those otherwise great sounding recipes! I'm even wondering if I can use extracts as a substitution in a recipe that calls for, say, 2 tbs of Khaluha, Rum, etc. I know that extracts contain alcohol, but I've not had a problem when I've used them in cooking.

Any and all ideas welcome!

September 4, 2010 Flag

What can I substitute for white wine in a recipe for cooking chicken?

By Marty from Oklahoma City, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Apple juice can be used as a substitute for wine in recipes.

Apple juice or Cider Brandy extract,which is just flavoring.

I make linguine that calls for a small amount of white wine, I just use chicken broth.

I frecuently use a bit of beer (cerveza) (canned) or malta (without alcohol), Sometimes I prepare an onion/bit of beer/spices and a little of soy sauce.

I either use apple juice or cider or white grape juice.

December 14, 2014 Flag

What can I use for a substitute?

By Bobbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Woman Looking For Substitute Foods in the Fridge
Substituting Foods in Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsSeptember 22, 2011
Honey Substitute for Corn Syrup
Substitutes For Corn Syrup
a woman cooking with sherry
Substituting Sherry in a Recipe
Substituting Half and Half for Milk in Recipes
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 8:44:36 PM on 10.0.0.26 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.