Pot of Gold Irish Supper

Most folks celebrate St. Patrick's Day with a traditional Corn beef and Cabbage meal. Even on sale, Corned Beef can be very expensive if you are feeding a lot of people. Also Corned Beef can be tricky to cook if you are a first time cook.

These two great recipes can replace a costly corned beef and cabbage supper for your St. Patrick's Day Dinner, or maybe you are just tired of corned beef and cabbage. This is a hearty soup with sandwich idea that may become a hit with your family. Home made soup always tastes better and is less costly than canned but you could really make this fast by using a good canned soup and just heating it up. Also the soup can be made in a crock pot. Just remember to add the milk and butter last and to let the soup cool a little so you don't curdle the milk.

Pot of Gold Potato Soup

• 3 lbs. of Yukon Gold Potatoes Peeled and chopped
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 3 carrots chopped
  • 3 stalks of celery chopped
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • Enough water in Dutch oven to cover

In small fry or sauté pan, sauté the onions and carrots and celery until the onions are translucent. Put the potatoes in the pan with enough water to cover. Add onions and carrots and celery. This is a great slow cooker on the stove so turn your heat down to low and let it simmer all day. I like a thick smooth soup so I let mine go all day but if you prefer a chunky soup cook for 2 hours. Add milk and butter and serve.

Luck of the Irish Sandwich

• 2 pieces of Rye bread light or dark, your preference
  • 1 package of deli corn beef or pastrami
  • 2 pieces of sliced deli Swiss cheese
  • 1 small container of Coleslaw

Heat your corned beef or pastrami in the microwave until warm. Put corn beef or pastrami on the bread layer on your Swiss cheese and Coleslaw. Serve with your Pot of Gold Potato soup for a filling dinner.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to You and Yours from Me and Mine!

pot of candy gold coins

About The Author: Debra Frick is a mother of 5 and a grandmother to 8 grandsons and one granddaughter. She is a published author and poetress. Recycling and saving money are her passions. She also loves crocheting and cooking. She is also a pet rescue volunteer and has many pets of her own.

Yum! Both recipes sound great. I have bought the corned beef at the deli before but instead I have used sour dough bread and grilled the sandwich using swiss cheese. Sometimes adding brown mustard too. Really good. Thanks for the idea, because my husband does not like cabbage and I wanted to find something else for my St Patricks Day dinner.

St. Patrick's Day Recipes, Corned Beef
St. Patrick's Day Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes InternationalMarch 12, 2009
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
A shiny pile of gold chains, rings and other jewelry
Cleaning Gold Jewelry
Cash for Gold
Selling Gold Jewelry For Cash