If you are using a cleaning agent (called White King or Demostos as used in Australia) containing a chlorine base (chemical name Sodium Hypochlorite), use white vinegar on your hands and the smell will disappear.
By Spoilground from Portarlington, Australia
Editor's Note: Sodium Hypocholorite is also commonly known as bleach.
A quart of Hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and a little dish soap for wetting agent will remove skunk odor. For this to have any chance here would take a huge amount of peroxide; it would need to soak as long as possibe. Best option would be a medical ozone machine. Fill capped tank with ozone gas and soak. Easiest would be to replace the tank.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
How do I get rid of chlorine bleach smell from my basement? It is coming up into my house and we can't breath, I used too much to get rid of mildew!
Burdeno from Ohio
It should evaporate in 3 days as the bleach naturally decomposes and loses it's disinfecting power (02/09/2006)
By Debbie in SC
It sounds dangerous to me. Chlorine is very strong and if it is making you sick, make sure you do the best you can to air out the basement and the house. If there are windows down there, leave them open for a few days.
If it is too bad, you may have to go somewhere else for a day or two.
I would try using vinegar to neutralize the smell. It is pretty good at doing things like that.
Sincerely, Karen in IN
Editor's Note: Although vinegar is good for getting rid of smells, it makes a toxic gas when mixed with bleach. (02/12/2006)
Bleach and vinegar are on opposite ends of the pH scale. Here, I neutralize the bleach odor with white vinegar. Since the Editor noted toxic gas resulting from mixing bleach and vinegar, I'd recommend opening all the windows and doors. Place a fan, facing outward, at a window to draw out the fumes.
You might also try spraying the area with Febreze. I got the kind made for taking strong odors out of laundry. You can dilute it for other applications. Diluted laundry Febreze in a spray bottle works on all kinds of odors and was first used while house-training a puppy w/a short memory. (03/06/2006)
I've just used Mr. Muscle glass cleaner which contains vinegar to mask a chlorine smell. The vinegar on its own can be as bad a smell as the bleach. (02/29/2008)
By Mildew hunter
I put way too much bleach in our crawl space, what do I do? (07/22/2008)
I would place a fan pulling the air out of the crawl space. I would also use window fans in the house, one at one in pulling air out and one at the other blowing air in and close all other windows, that continuously replaces the air in the house. Then when the odor subsides I would put straight vinegar in a sprayer and spray the crawl space (put a wet rag over your face and work fast), and stay out of the house that day or as long as it takes to dry, leaving the fans on. Once it drys it should be ok. Always use vinegar on molds and mildew because bleach makes it grow back in a toxic form. A couple of bags of charcoal or clay cat litter will also help absorb the odor and toxic fumes. Make sure you get all the pets and people out of that house for now! (07/23/2008)