How Do I Make Poultry Dressing?

For what seems forever I have been making stuffing for chickens and turkeys. This year however I'd like to try making dressing.

The problem is, I'm not sure how to go about this, which spices to use, how much/if any liquid I should use, what to bake it in, and for how long, etc.

Thanks for sharing your collective knowledge with me.

By Maureen from Canada

This is my Chicken and Dressing recipe

1 regular size pkg. Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing

1 small chicken, boiled, boned, and pulled apart into pieces (save the broth)

2 1/2 cups chicken broth

1 stick butter (1/2 cup)

1 can Cream Chicken Soup (10 3/4 ounces)

Mix soup with butter and broth. Heat until butter is melted and mixture is blended well. Add stuffing and mix together. Add chicken to mixture and pour into baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until browned on top.

I prepare the chicken the day before and put the broth in a separate container. The next day, I skim the chicken fat off and discard it before heating the broth.

I have always understood that stuffing or dressing is the same thing. It is stuffing when it's inside a bird, dressing when it's baked separately in a dish in the oven.

Dressing and stuffing are identical. Just a different word for the same thing.

If you bake your stuffing (dressing) after you put it in a baking dish, brush the top with melted butter. Do not over cook but let the top get a little crisp.

When I make dressing this is what I do:

1 package of seasoned croutons for stuffing in large bow, Heat about 1 quart of chicken stock, and pour over cubes, cover and let steam though to soften. Meanwhile, Brown about 1/2 pound of pork sausage with sage, set that aside. In same pan saute about a cup on chopped onion, and a cup on chopped celery. Mix veg and sausage with softened bread cubes, taste for seasoning, I usually add a little more sage and poultry seasoning. Put in casserole, cover and bake about 45 mins.

When I do this with a turkey, I cook the turkey neck in pressure sauce pan, and cut the meat up to add to the dressing, along with the liquid.

If you are short of oven space, put this all in crock pot for about 4 hours.

The true difference between the use of calling it stuffing or dressing is regional. Remember the song that goes: You say either and I say either, You say neither and I say neither. Either, either Neither, neither, Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto. Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off. ;-)

In any event, I actually prefer using non-seasoned stuffing/dressing mix/croutons but if I am having company who likes it spicy I'll use the spiced. This is my recipe whether stuffing the turkey or chicken or baking it:

Basic poultry stuffing/dressing

1 large celery stalk, coarsely chopped

1/2 yellow onion, coarsely chopped

2 tbsp butter, softened

1 1/4 cups chicken broth

Dash of pepper

8 oz. dry seasoned stuffing

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Sauté the onion and celery in a skillet until just barely tender, meanwhile, heat the broth and pepper in a large pan.

Add celery and onion to the broth and cook over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes.

Remove from heat, add the stuffing, mix slightly and spoon the mixture in to an 8 x 8 baking dish. Cover and bake until thoroughly heated, about 20 to 25 minutes.

Google dressing recipes and take from each one what you like and forumlate what works for you and your families taste. I always buy day old bread and let it "dry out" a few days before preparing my dressing. I season it while it is still fresh and spread it on a counter with a tented cover of foil. When making dressing I make sure that I use more broth then I would if stuffing a bird because it seems to dry out more when baked outside the turkey.

Thanks for all the feedback on my request for recipies for turkey dressing. I knew what the ingredients were, but didn't know the method to make the stuffing. I also picked up a few new ideas to slightly change up the dressings. Someone suggested dried cranberries. I tried it and it brightened/added different flavour/texture the dressing.

Thanks again everyone.

Food and Recipes Recipes PoultryNovember 30, 2010
Potato Salad Dressing
Potato Salad Dressing Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Frozen poultry meat
Freezing Poultry