How to Save on Your Pets Shots

Pet shots and meds are very expensive, especially when you have to cut back due to job loss, etc.

I was surprised to discover that my local Rural King sold vaccines and pet meds, that you could administer, for a tiny fraction of the cost at a vets! If you do not have a local Rural King, then see if you have any farm suppliers or co-ops that offer the same animal supplies.

In addition, I understand that some veterinarians offer low income pet shots and certain treatments. Check with your local shelter as they probably know of just such a vet.

Let's keep our 'kids' healthy and happy, even in a bad economy. :)

By Gooby from Straughn, IN

My town has an annual rabies clinic. You can bring your cat or dog to the local Grange hall and get your pet vaccinated for $10. We brought my cat there for her shot. It took 10 minutes to fill out the paperwork and have her vaccinated.

If you're certain you're competent to give your own vaccines, this is a great tip; I'm not the queasy type, but no doc, either.

Our gal can get a three-year rabies shot in our state; in the long run, that's more economical than the yearly vaccine for us. Also another poster mentioned $55 for the annual shot; I'd say, shop around for more bang for your buck.

Out vet charges about $65 for an annual that includes the rabies vaccination, bortadella, blood workup and fecal exam ( to ensure the dog doesn't have heartworm).

The thing of it is: we can get the blinders on by thinking that as long as the rabies shot and the license tags are done for the year. The dog is good to go. The fact is that a lot more can be going on under the surface year to year that you can't see.

Case in point: we had a rescue a few years back who looked healthy and had a history of the previous owner keeping up on the rabies shots--but not much else. By the time we had him three months, we were hit with the fact he had heartworm and cancer that had already spread to various vital organs.

What I'm getting at is that an annual once-over not just the rabies shot is crucial in finding any possible conditions as early as you can before irreversible damage is done. Frugality goes out the window then as you're trying to save a precious pet.

Dog Worried About Getting Vaccine Shot
Saving Money on Pet Vaccinations
Pets HealthMarch 31, 2010
family photos
Making a Photo Calendar
Helping Kids Get Shots
Helping Kids Get Shots
Jello Shots
Jello Shots Recipes
Dog at Vet
Spaying or Neutering Your Pets