Shower Cleaning Tips

We moved into an older home nearly two years ago. The shower floor was probably never cleaned. It doesn't seem like porcelain. It's not black, but I can tell the difference between a nice floor and a crappy looking one. I've tried everything from bleach to everything that money will buy to restore whiteness to this shower floor. Help!

By Diane from Boise, ID

Have you tried a magic eraser? Sometimes they can do wonders! However, if the floor is just not looking well even though very clean, consider painting something on it; or putting bath mats down to cover part of it. A cute design might work just fine!

I keep CLR in a spray bottle. My husband is a machinist and he comes home with an oily substance all over him. I just hose the tub and shower down with the CLR and use a back brush to scrub it. I bought the back brush for cleaning because it has a long handle and I can scrub without having to bend too much. The bristles are softer and won't damage surfaces. A back brush is also good to dust wicker furniture. It will clean between the strips without damaging the paint.

Since you have tried everything, try spraying a small patch with Eazy off oven cleaner. You would be surprised at what you can get clean with it.

I have four sons that work on cars all the time. I take their coveralls and soak in oven cleaner before throwing in the washing machine and it amazes me every time.

Bar Keeper's Friend and a scrub brush works like a dream