VegetablesFreezing

Freezing Winter Squash

Can I freeze acorn or winter squash?

By TEE5792 from Stanley, VA

I think the best way is to:

1) Split in half length wise or in pieces if too big, like Hubbard.

2) Roast on a sprayed pan at 375 degrees till soft, about an hour.

3) Let cool a bit, or longer, and scoop out seeds, saving them for your dogs (later).

4) Peel squash or scoop out flesh, again saving skin and other leftovers.

5) Puree in processor, put in freezer bags, pressing bags flat for easier stacking in freezer.

6)Puree the rest and feed to dogs- they LOVE it like candy. They also like just pieces of the roasted skin.

Now you have squash ready to use in soups, mixing with sweet potatoes or in appetizers or pie. Three cheers for winter squash!

Yes, squash can be frozen & prepared ahead. However, you can store the 'hard squashes' (acorn, butternut, etc) whole, in a cool place, or even on top of your counter if your kitchen doesn't get too hot & you have the space. I have an extra cabinet that is away from my stove and appliances. I line the shelf with an old, clean towel & store my butternut & acorn squashes in there. They last for months & months. The butternut squash I baked just last night had been in my cabinet for about 5 months & tasted just as good as the others I bought & prepared in the 1st couple of weeks. My mother stores hers in a box under her bed! Fresh butternut squash with butter, Cinnamon & sugar, salt & pepper; baked in the oven until done. YUM!

I freeze squash every year for later in winter and also green tomatoes, you can us them in casseroles or fried, but not much else. You wash them pat them dry and then slice them how thick you want and put in freezer bags. How this helps. Works for me.