Is there a cooking oil that is better for us?

I heard you can substitute apple sauce for oil but is there an oil that is better for us? I am a diabetic and so is my father, I like to make him pumpkin bread but it calls for 1 cup of oil. I use Splenda for the sugar.

Can you help me?

Kat from Fishers, Indiana

You can use applesauce. You can buy applesauce that is sweetened with Splenda instead of sugar.

Kat, you can use applesauce for half the amount of oil and the best oil to use is canola. There is also a fairly new oil on the market 'Enova' that advertises less fat stored in the body. I have only used it a couple of times in baking, but it worked to my satisfaction. Hope this helps. jsham

Extra virgin olive oil (from the first pressing) is a healthy oil. It doesn't fry because it has a low burn point, but it's the one you want to use in salad dressings. I use it for baking and no one has ever noticed. There are other less flavorful olive oils, but they contain fewer beneficial ingredients.

It is healthier to use canola oil than regular vegetable oil. If you have a Walmart with the grocery section near you, this is the cheapest place to find canola oil. It is the same price as their regular vegetable oil.

Wet breads, pumpkin, banana etc. are PERFECT bread to subsitute applesauce (all) for oil. You can buy in the store, unsweetened applesauce, the ones with Splenda aren't necessary when you'll have the sweet of the Splenda and pumpkin. Also, I've heard that you can use Flaxseed Meal (ground flaxseed), try Bob's Red Mill or something like that, the popular bagged "natural food" section aisle. That would be a great addition (even if you didn't substitute for oil). I am a RNY patient, so I have to be careful with my sugar and oil, I've made many a bread with applesauce and splenda, especially the wet ones, they are great!

P.S. You can also try Enova oil, supposedly our body absorbs less of it, it's expensive, but for health, it's worth it!

I often use cooked, mashed pumpkin in place of oil, so I can't figure out why your recipe calls for a whole cup. I agree with the others that applesauce is a great replacement, too. These work for quick breads, but not for cookies or pie crust, of course.

I am also a Diabetic and I use Canola Oil but as of yesterday,I started using Vegetable oil,because the Canola oil smells to high heaven when it gets really hot ,like for deep frying.I have Asthma really bad and the smell chokes me and I can't breathe,the Vegetable oil doesn't bother me.I use splenda in almost everything .whoever said that Canola oil is better for you than regular Vegetable oil ,should read the contents on a bottle of each.they're BOTH THE SAME

Extra virgin olive oil is what we use. It is a little more costly but healthier. When baking use applesauce makes it taste better too. Happy holidays

I have never heard of pumpkin bread is it the same as banana bread just substitue mashed pumpkin?

Please reply to gerrardsj @yahoo.ca

thanks

It all depends on what you mean by a 'better' oil. All oils have the same calories, but they do affect our health (i.e. cholesterol levels etc.) in different ways. Olive oil and Canola are two good choices (regular vegetable oil may not have the same levels of unsaturated fats - the healthier fats). If you're looking to reduce calories though, then you need to substitute the oil with something else.

I've always been wary of Canola Oil.... here is a link of information, and a comment of rebuttal... guess by whom???

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

Bottle of olive oil with olives and leaves in the foreground.
Cooking Oil Tips
Food and Recipes Food Tips Healthy EatingDecember 19, 2006
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
🎄