Game Rules: 7 Hand Rummy

Every time my family gets together for Thanksgiving or Christmas, we all look forward to AFTER the meal. It is at this time we play 7 Hand Rummy, a card game that has been a part of these holidays for us since before I was born. This game has made these family events meaningful. Everyone gets to munch, talk, and have a good time together.

Here Is How You Play:

Seven Hand Rummy is best played with 4 decks of cards (with Jokers) for up to 8 players. If you have more players, add a deck. For 10 or more players, add another deck and so on.

The object of the game is to get rid of all your cards and accumulate as few points as possible. Points are acquired for any cards held in the hand when someone goes out. 5 points for card 2 through 7, 10 points for card 8 through the King, 15 points for an Ace (which can be played as a one or a top card above a king) and 20 points for jokers.

Deal out 11 cards to each player. Put a stack to draw from in the center and when everyone is ready, turn one card over to start the discard pile.

The player to the left of the dealer goes first and can either take the discard or take the card off the top of the stack. If someone else wants the card on the discard they can say , "I want it". If the person who's turn it is does NOT want the discard, they say so and the first person that said , "I want it" gets to take the card AND a penalty card from the stack. It is not acceptable for someone to say, "I want it" for a card already under a discard. Play continues around to the left as each person tries to acquire the appropriate hand.

Hands To Be Acquired:

1st Hand: 2 sets (333, 555, JJJ, etc.)

2nd Hand: 1 set and 1 run (333, 555, JJJ AND 4 5 6 of Hearts, 9 10 Jack of Spades, etc.)

3rd Hand: 2 runs (note: it is acceptable for someone to take a run and split it to make two runs i.e. 3 4 5 of Hearts and 6 7 8 of Hearts)

4th Hand: 2 sets and 1 run

5th Hand: 2 runs and 1 set

6th Hand: 3 sets pat (3 sets with NO discard)

7th Hand: 3 runs pat (3 runs with no discard)

Optional 8th Hand: One run pat - an accumulation of 1 suit from Ace to Jack or 4 to Ace (note - with this hand you can only say "I want it" ONE time, because you can not have a discard. You can not have an Ace on each end of your run.)

As the needed hand is acquired, the goal for the hand is placed down in front of the player on their turn. After they have laid their cards down, they may play any cards in their hand on other players cards. So if a player across the table had put down a set of 5's and a run of clubs 5 6 Joker 8 and I had a 5 or a club that would fit their run, I would toss them across the table. If I gave the player the 7 of clubs to replace the Joker I may put that Joker anywhere else on the table. I CAN NOT put the Joker in my hand.

At any time a player discards a card that would play on the table they call out RUMMY! After pointing out where the card would have played they get to discard any card from there hand. The "rummy" card remains on the discard pile.

If the discard pile gets too big, you can take a couple cards off the top and set the lower part of the discard pile aside (just don't forget they were already in play and put them back out as part of the stack).

If at any time the stack gets low, you may take the remaining stack and place it on some of the cards that were shuffled and put on the side to replenish the stack. Note the original stack goes on top of the new stack. If the stack gets depleted and there are no cards left over from shuffling, take the discards that were put on the side and shuffle them to restore the stack.

A discard is not required for someone to go out, their last card can be played on another player.

Notes For Helping First Time Players:

By suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

We enjoy many different card games, but have never played this one. The next time we have time to play, this is what we'll be playing. I think we'll enjoy it just as much as Monopoly Cards or Canasta.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Pookarina

Sounds something like Uno.

Thank you for the info. I have always wanted to play some card games, but don't know any.

Do you have anymore?

It is also known as PHASE 10, you can purchase it at Walmart or Rite Aid. It comes with cards, there is also a dice version and score cards.

This is almost like a game I learned several years ago, except the hand of the sets,we are allowed to have discards. The last hand, no discards. The points are,2to 9-5 points;10 to K-10 points;Ace-20 points; Red Joker-25 points;and Black Joker 50 points. The card game is called Liverpool, or Oh S**t. The reason that it is called Oh S**t, is because that is what you hear mostly when someone ahead of you either"buys" the card you want, or goes out before you can get down.

It is a very fun game,when you get the hang of it. I love playing it, just don't usually have enough people wants to play it. Weezy

Comment

7 Hand Rummy Rules
7 Hand Rummy Rules
Entertainment Games Card GamesFebruary 24, 2011
wood and rope ring toss game
Ring Toss Game Ideas
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
Family playing games.
Posting House Rules
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 10:22:16 AM on 10.0.2.94 in 902 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.