Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Your Teeth With Baking Soda

Baking soda can do an amazing job at both cleaning and whitening your teeth. It is also an inexpensive alternative to more expensive teeth whitening treatments. This is a guide about cleaning your teeth with baking soda.

February 18, 2005 Flag

Cut down on dentist teeth cleaning costs. Clean your teeth with Baking Soda. Works really well with a rotary toothbrush.

Go gently at the gumline as baking soda is abrasive.

I just used it again a couple of days ago and there is no longer any tartar build up!

I only do this at most 3 times a year. I have only had to have my teeth cleaned by a dentist once ever!

By Theresa

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am in my sixties and have been using baking soda since I was a child. When we ran out of toothpaste, we automatically used baking soda. Later, I started using it all the time. At my age I have perfect teeth, extremely white. Still have cleanings every six months, which takes less than twenty minutes. The hygenist basically polishes them as she says my teeth are always very clean. It is cheap and also leaves your mouth feeling clean. Great for your breath also!

February 27, 2009 Flag

Use baking soda daily to whiten your teeth. It tastes terrible at first, but you get used to it. Just wet your toothbrush and dip it into the baking soda and brush as usual, then follow-up brushing with regular toothpaste for fluoride, etc., and also the flavored toothpaste will get rid of the baking soda taste!

It works and I'm a coffee and a tea drinker, so my teeth were terribly yellow. Aside from professional whitening (which made my teeth very sensitive), nothing worked very well. I was spending a lot of money on various products, even with coupons.

I checked with my dentist and he also said I could make a paste with peroxide and baking soda which works well. I am going to continue with only the baking soda for now. He also recommended brushing with a little toothpaste after brushing with the baking soda/peroxide paste.

I find baking soda for a great price at the dollar store and also watch for it on sale at the drugstore when they offer their two for one sale. If you want to add peroxide to make a paste, the store brand is very inexpensive. It is great to have on hand to rinse cuts and sores. My grandchildren are always amazed to see it foam up when I rinse their cuts.

By Bobbie from Rockwall

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For jeena:

I would be completely surprised if baking soda would bother your sensitive teeth because it doesn't contain the chemicals nor any more grit than store bought toothpaste ... Try it for a day or two and be sure and let us know the outcome please :-) Oh, and drinking Green Tea (which is good for you) and tap water both contain fluoride ...

As for Arm and Hammer toothpaste ... It's a baking soda paste so I can't help but wonder why I would want to pay that price when you can mix the baking soda (made by Arm and Hammer) that's in your kitchen cabinet with a tad bit of water ??? Just a thought ;-)

September 7, 2012 Flag

Will half of a teaspoon of water and baking soda work for your teeth? Will it wear off the enamel on your teeth?

By Veanna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use Arm and Hammer toothpaste that has the baking soda included in the product. I don't know what the side effects are if you used too much baking soda but you could call Arm and Hammer at 1-800-786-5135 or e-mail them at www.myordcare.com and see if they can answer your question.

Some times I add some baking soda to the toothpaste but haven't had any problems.

You can make a paste of baking soda and water and dip your toothbrush into it and brush your teeth. Baking soda is not abrasive enough to remove enamel from your teeth. It is fine to use at every brushing.

What works even better is just dampening your brush and dipping it into some loose baking soda in palm of your hand. You may find it a little gritty at first, but persevere and you will see results. This would be instead of your tooth paste.

If you wanted a rinse for your teeth and mouth, baking soda dissolved in very warm water and use as a rinse and gargle works good too. This is infinitely less expensive and does a great job especially over time but it will only remove so much staining.

You will be fine. I swish with a tiny bit of peroxide (main ingredient in whitening strips and paste) and dip my brush in baking soda afterwards. GREAT results.

Box of Baking Soda on White Background
Household Uses For Baking Soda
Health & Beauty Beauty Body Teeth and MouthOctober 20, 2011
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Up close photo of the front of a baking soda box
Saving Money on Baking Soda
Flipper Teeth
Buying Flipper Teeth Kits
A bowl of baking soda.
Using Baking Soda as a Facial Scrub
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 10:18:11 AM on 10.0.1.182 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.