Cleaning Your Teeth With Baking Soda

Baking soda can do an amazing job at both cleaning and whitening your teeth. It is also an inexpensive alternative to more expensive teeth whitening treatments. This is a guide about cleaning your teeth with baking soda.

February 18, 2005 Flag

Cut down on dentist teeth cleaning costs. Clean your teeth with Baking Soda. Works really well with a rotary toothbrush.

Go gently at the gumline as baking soda is abrasive.

I just used it again a couple of days ago and there is no longer any tartar build up!

I only do this at most 3 times a year. I have only had to have my teeth cleaned by a dentist once ever!

By Theresa

It hurt when I cleaned my teeth with baking soda, my gums even started to bleed, how do i stop THIS?

BRANDON

Editor's Note: It sounds like you are brushing too hard. Also bleeding gums can be a sign of gum disease.

I heard you can make toothpaste with green tea which contains a lot of fluoride. Put a few tea bags in a pot and let it soak for like 20 minutes as opposed to one minute if you going to drink it . Then mix it which a bit of baking soda and something else maybe. Sorry, I've never actually done it, I just read it in a book about green tea. One idea, i don't know truly how effective it is but if you make some super concentrated green tea and just rinse your mouth with it, that could be quite good for you teeth.

Baking soda is NOT abrasive, especially if you wait a minute before actually brushing. Sodium bicarbonate is an ionic compound that fully breaks down to individual carbonate molecules and sodium atoms in sufficient water. There may be some osmotic drying of surface tissue, but this will be insignificant with adequate rinsing.

I've been using it about two months and I can't imagine going back to toothpaste. My mouth has never felt cleaner and a recurring problem I had with my rear upper gums has completely disappeared. I think my teeth are whiter, too, but that may be wishful. Nevertheless, I think it's wonderful.

"okay will someone please tell me if cleaning your teeth with baking soda is safe if I only do it about three times a year?"

YES! I'll tell you! Fluoride is already in your water, and did anyone tell you Fluoride is a damage to your health, because it was originally used as a herbicide and rat poisoning. There is Arsenic in it and many other nasties, I'll leave that up to everyone to do there research as to why our authorities put it in our water??? What's worse is you drink this all day everyday and then you brush your teeth with it, no wonder people had improvements when getting off Tooth Paste, it also has Aspartame in it to sweeten it, that is also a dangerous chemical!

So, when looking at Baking Soda and Toothpaste which is doing you more damage? Don't forget chemicals in your mouth go straight to your brain! So Baking Soda is very healthy and as you can see from others comments, have shown improvements straight away after getting off toothpaste.

I've been using tooth brush dipped in baking soda box for about 7 yrs now. I found out about this when my girlfriend had perfectly white teeth and was a regular smoker. She said she had been using this method most of her life and her grandmother taught her. She and her grandmother are both Korean. I can tell you my teeth never have aches or pains. My dentist never find cavities and my teeth are very clean and are definitly whiter. My dentist also warned me before I started doing this that flouride was causing a lot of my tooth aches and pains. I brush with the baking soda every night then use mouth wash. :)

Wow this is awesome thanks a lot! I love it.

I've heard a lot of people say this technique is good but does it matter what age I am? I'm 15 and I hate my teeth and am desperately looking for a way to whiten them. I'm scared to try this in case it ruins my teeth or gums. Will it, and how often can I do it?

I am in my sixties and have been using baking soda since I was a child. When we ran out of toothpaste, we automatically used baking soda. Later, I started using it all the time. At my age I have perfect teeth, extremely white. Still have cleanings every six months, which takes less than twenty minutes. The hygenist basically polishes them as she says my teeth are always very clean. It is cheap and also leaves your mouth feeling clean. Great for your breath also!

September 7, 2012 Flag

Will half of a teaspoon of water and baking soda work for your teeth? Will it wear off the enamel on your teeth?

By Veanna

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use Arm and Hammer toothpaste that has the baking soda included in the product. I don't know what the side effects are if you used too much baking soda but you could call Arm and Hammer at 1-800-786-5135 or e-mail them at www.myordcare.com and see if they can answer your question.

Some times I add some baking soda to the toothpaste but haven't had any problems.

You can make a paste of baking soda and water and dip your toothbrush into it and brush your teeth. Baking soda is not abrasive enough to remove enamel from your teeth. It is fine to use at every brushing.

What works even better is just dampening your brush and dipping it into some loose baking soda in palm of your hand. You may find it a little gritty at first, but persevere and you will see results. This would be instead of your tooth paste.

If you wanted a rinse for your teeth and mouth, baking soda dissolved in very warm water and use as a rinse and gargle works good too. This is infinitely less expensive and does a great job especially over time but it will only remove so much staining.

You will be fine. I swish with a tiny bit of peroxide (main ingredient in whitening strips and paste) and dip my brush in baking soda afterwards. GREAT results.

Health & Beauty Beauty Body Teeth and MouthOctober 20, 2011
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Up close photo of the front of a baking soda box
Saving Money on Baking Soda
Flipper Teeth
Buying Flipper Teeth Kits
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
🎉
🎄