Removing Soap Scum from Ceramic Tile

Soap film can be difficult to remove from bathroom and kitchen tiles. This guide is about removing soap scum from ceramic tile.

Ceramic Tile
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a rental house with really bad soap scum build up on the interior ceramic walls. What are your recommendations on the best, most efficient way to make these ceramic tile walls sparking clean again?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make up a spray bottle with half water and half white vinegar, spray on a small section to test letting the solution sit for 5-10 minutes then scrubbing and rinsing (you'll be amazed:). Once the test area proves the method to you, do the entire area. Works a treat at my house, my grown daughter's, and my grown son's as well! You may have to use a scrubbie and several applications to get it all clean but it's safe (no dangerous fumes, and doesn't 'eat' the tiles or grout) and really does work to remove not only soap scum but stained grouting, and mould too!

Read More Answers...

We have used Easy Off Fume Free over cleaner (for cold ovens, no heat required) to clean years of soap scum and hard water build up off showers and tubs, both fiberglass and tile. Spray it on, leave it a couple hours and then power wash off or scrub with sponge. It comes off easily and leaves bright shine.

By Kathy from Corpus Christi, TX

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have recently moved to a house that was built in the 40's and it has black ceramic tile in the shower and bath. They are lovely, but the ones in the shower have either hard water stains or soap scum. I have already used kaboom and a few other products with no effect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gracias!
    Jen Vin from Managua, Nicaragua

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use rubbing alcohol, its the best. When clean, coat the tiles with some spray furniture polish.

Read More Answers...

My bathroom consists of ceramic tiles on all the walls. Due to years of use of hard water with soap and detergents the tiles are dull with a coating that is hard to remove even after scrubbing. How can I get them back to their original shiny ceramic surface?

Can anyone suggest a solution to my problem by using materials that are available in an Indian market. I shall be thankful to them who can solve my problem.

By Manjunath P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CLR is poison. Just check the label. You have to wear gloves while using that stuff! I'd go with just plain vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, let it soak in, spray again, wait for half an hour, then scrub with a stiff brush (plastic or natural bristles). You may need to re-apply several times, but it does do wonders. Once it's cleaned, keep a spray bottle of vinegar in the shower. Spray the shower tiles once your shower is done. You"ll never need to scrub again! Good luck!

Read More Answers...

How do I clean scum off of bathroom subway tile?

Marlene from Upper Jay, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used low odor oven cleaner. It worked great. ~Janette~

Read More Answers...
    Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 26, 2013
    Hand washing shower wall
    Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
    cleaning a tub
    Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
    Washing Machine
    Cleaning Soap Scum Out of a Washing Machine
    Cleaning Dirty Tile
    Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 7:57:02 AM on 10.0.2.170 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.