Browsing: Removing Soap Scum from Ceramic Tile

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Soap Scum from Ceramic Tile

Soap film can be difficult to remove from bathroom and kitchen tiles. This guide is about removing soap scum from ceramic tile.

Ceramic Tile
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 12, 2016 Flag

I have a rental house with really bad soap scum build up on the interior ceramic walls. What are your recommendations on the best, most efficient way to make these ceramic tile walls sparking clean again?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ask for cleaning acid in the nearest stationary shop. And clean the walls with it. Use hand claw while cleaning using acid.bcoz it may cause itching

Make up a spray bottle with half water and half white vinegar, spray on a small section to test letting the solution sit for 5-10 minutes then scrubbing and rinsing (you'll be amazed:). Once the test area proves the method to you, do the entire area. Works a treat at my house, my grown daughter's, and my grown son's as well! You may have to use a scrubbie and several applications to get it all clean but it's safe (no dangerous fumes, and doesn't 'eat' the tiles or grout) and really does work to remove not only soap scum but stained grouting, and mould too!

November 9, 2009 Flag

We have used Easy Off Fume Free over cleaner (for cold ovens, no heat required) to clean years of soap scum and hard water build up off showers and tubs, both fiberglass and tile. Spray it on, leave it a couple hours and then power wash off or scrub with sponge. It comes off easily and leaves bright shine.

By Kathy from Corpus Christi, TX

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 20, 2006 Flag

I have recently moved to a house that was built in the 40's and it has black ceramic tile in the shower and bath. They are lovely, but the ones in the shower have either hard water stains or soap scum. I have already used kaboom and a few other products with no effect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gracias!
    Jen Vin from Managua, Nicaragua

For me, a one-sided razor blade is the best. You get them in the paint department and they can be inserted in a handle that is specially made for them. Just scrape the scum off and let it fall on a towel on the floor. When you are done, launder the towel and rinse down the tiles. This requires alot less brute strength.

I'd try a product like CLR that is made especially for the hard job of removing mineral deposits. Whatever product you decide to use, let the cleaner do the work. Put it on and let it set for about one half hour. Then rinse off.

Frankly, I think I'd try a brand name of Windex. Ammonia usually is good for soap scum.

Try Restore 4

www.restore4.com

Use full strength.

-------------------

Or, go to a janitorial supply company and get something commercial strength.

Use rubbing alcohol, its the best. When clean, coat the tiles with some spray furniture polish.

Read More Answers...

June 29, 2011 Flag

My bathroom consists of ceramic tiles on all the walls. Due to years of use of hard water with soap and detergents the tiles are dull with a coating that is hard to remove even after scrubbing. How can I get them back to their original shiny ceramic surface?

Can anyone suggest a solution to my problem by using materials that are available in an Indian market. I shall be thankful to them who can solve my problem.

By Manjunath P.

Hi, I have no idea what would be available in an Indian market, but what I would use here in Canada is full strength vinegar to start. I would spray it on, and let it soak, then just rinse it off. If that is not working, I would switch to a product with a stronger acid. Here in Canada, the product I would use is called CLR, but it is just a stronger acid. You would surely have something the same available, muratic acid is what the ingredient is called; it may be a common name for hydrochloric acid. If this is hard water lime scale build up, an acid will remove it without much scrubbing as it will dissolve it.

CLR is poison. Just check the label. You have to wear gloves while using that stuff! I'd go with just plain vinegar. Put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, let it soak in, spray again, wait for half an hour, then scrub with a stiff brush (plastic or natural bristles). You may need to re-apply several times, but it does do wonders. Once it's cleaned, keep a spray bottle of vinegar in the shower. Spray the shower tiles once your shower is done. You"ll never need to scrub again! Good luck!

February 24, 2009 Flag

How do I clean scum off of bathroom subway tile?

Marlene from Upper Jay, NY

Without a doubt, I recommend Scrub Free. Get it at any large chain grocery store. Makes cleaning soap scum a breeze, even the built up kind. May take a few applications for the very built up stuff, but it is well worth a try.

I used low odor oven cleaner. It worked great. ~Janette~

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 26, 2013
    Hand washing shower wall
    Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
    cleaning a tub
    Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
    Washing Machine
    Cleaning Soap Scum Out of a Washing Machine
    Cleaning Dirty Tile
    Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:21:49 AM on 10.0.0.69 in 770 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.