MiscellaneousCleaning

Making Coated Eyeglass Lenses Last Longer

I just bought a pair of $250.00 reading and computer bifocals with coated lenses. The clerk said that if I cleaned them with the proper cloth and solution, they'd last 1 year. ONE YEAR! Suggestions for making the coating on the lenses last longer? Thanks!

Holly from Richardson, TX

With proper care they should last a lot longer than a year. However, I can tell you from experience that the coating is very easily scratched. It's so delicate that you should never use something like a kleenex or paper towel on it. Cotton fabric is okay--in fact, I wash my lenses with my hands using soap and hot water, then dry them with a clean towel and have no scratches--this time <g>.

Anonymous

Ditto to what ChloeA said! Tissues and paper towels are biproducts of trees and abrasive. I even have a pair of coated glasses that are four years old and not a single scratch from using cotton cloth. Most of the time I only use water and no soap.

You should get a special cloth from your doctor. They work wonderfully.

I agree with getting the right cloth, microfibre is good. But also, RAINex, used on car windshields, keeps the fog factor down, and a little goes a long way in protecting the lenses. by the way, is this my neice Holly, that has three beautiful little girls? :)

One thing I learned from working for an eye dr. was to be sure to rinse the lenses first, wash with mild soap and water, then dry gently with a lint free cloth. The rinsing is the most important part as it removes any particles that would scratch the finish during the soaping or drying.

My eyeglasses used to get scratched all the time and I couldn't figure out why. When I cleaned them I would use glass cleaner and a towel. I was told by my eye dr. that glass cleaner is too harsh and it removes the coating that is on the lenses and to use t-shirt material to clean with. In the meantime I bought a glasses cleaning kit from Walmart. Perfect! The solution is diluted but still cleans the lenses and it comes with a special cleaning cloth. I haven't had any scratches on my lenses for 2 years.