Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Donate Clothing and Toiletries to Women's Shelters

This is a tip if you're into coupons, rebates, store good deals, buying in bulk, and have yard or garage sales. If you have items left over such as clothing, toiletries, makeup, etc., donate them to your local abused women's shelter. They're all trying to get their life back on track without their abusive husbands. Your donations will truly make a difference. Makeup really helps them starting to feel better about themselves. This might be something that you might consider and take it off your taxes as a donation. Make yourself feel better as well as some other ladies.

By

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Amy (Guest Post)01/02/2009

Where can I donate baby clothes and bottles to in Orange County, CA? amsy AT hotmail.com

By Ann S. (Guest Post)11/21/2008

Please tell me how someone can donate cloths and personal items to a women's shelter. Thanks
Ann 011 465 8745

By Nikki [2]06/05/2008

These are just suggestions for finding women's shelters in another town, such as where your friends live....Try local churches, they may have contact information for such shelters. Another place to possibly find information may be the local DHS or DCS office in that area. They may even want to check with the local Police Dept. I know the actual local of some shelters are a secret, such as the one near where I live to keep the women safer and harder for the abusive man to find them; but I am sure one of those places should be able to point you in the right direction. You may also check with the shelter that you take your donations to, they may have the contact information for shelters in other cites/towns. Hope this information helps.

By jodi (Guest Post)06/02/2008

We found one close to our town an thats the only place we will take our stuff..we were taking everything to the goodwill stores an when they wanted to pick through everything that was it. They never said a simple thank you or anything. we also noticed they charge alot any more for things that were donated to them in the first place. When we took our things to the womans shelter they even came out to the car an help us take everything inside an kept thanking us for the things we brought. Never did they say they did not want anything or it has to be any certain size. Yes it does make you feel so good to know that you are helping others no matter what the item is. We wil never take our things to any other place but the shelters. Now my question is how do you find the shelters in other towns as I have friends that would also like to take there things to the shelters as they have had it with the goodwill stores also.

By Nikki [2]06/02/2008

Having been in that situation myself when I was younger, I donate a lot of things to the local domestic violence shelter. Sometimes they are even looking for children's toys and books, craft kits. Contact your local shelter and ask what they are in need of or what they accept and don't accept. More times then not, these women, and sometimes children, get out only with the clothes on their backs and nothing else.

I know the shelter near where I live also asks for donations of old cell phones. They hand them out to women so they have a way to call 911 without that line of communication being cut and they are small so they are easily hidden in a safe place. Many times such cell phones have become literally a lifesaver for women in these situations.

It always does my heart good when I drop off donations to the shelter..not only because I once lived in their shoes, but also because I know that no matter how small or meanial we think a donation may be, it means the world to these women. You never know, that "small" donation that you make may grow to become a much larger one. The woman that recieved it may "pay it forward" and help someone else in need, and so on.

By Pat (Guest Post)06/02/2008

I wanted to donate a large bag of motel sized shampoo, soap, etc. to a shelter. I was told they only wanted full sized. I donated them to a local camp.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.