Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Free Computer Training for Senior Citizens

New technology can sometimes make an older person feel left behind. However, there are opportunities for getting free training to help you keep up with the latest computer hardware and software. This guide offers some suggestions for finding free computer training for senior citizens.

February 21, 2012 Flag

My part time job wants me to get more computer training in both Word Perfect and Excel. They also want me to get letter formatting training. I'm a deaf older lady that has a little over 2 years to work before I can go off SSDI and collect social security. Where can I find free or inexpensive computer software training?

By Ella P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If you are a senior, you should go to a local community college and ask them about a program like that. A lot of community colleges give computer classes to seniors

Best Answer

You might check your city's recreation centers. They offer classes in numerous things, usually. Check the library also.

Best Answer

I don't know if Microsoft still does this, but when I needed to add to my skills on their software, I went to their website and used several basic free training modules. I learned a lot about Excel especially that I am still using today.

I'd start on their website for whatever free training they have.

Best Answer

My county waives credit fees for senior citizens to attend the local community college. Try yours.

Only social security can tell you if you qualify for benefits. So why not ask them.

A good place to get a bit of training is actually some of the temporary job placement agencies. You can request to be tested and let them know that you'd like to brush up on your skills. They have programs where you sit down at the computer, take the test and learn new skills in all areas of Microsoft Office. I believe frugalsunnie also had a great idea. I didn't know there were modules online - it may be the same as what the temporary agencies use. It would be good to check both.

Try the internet. You can find anything on the internet. Step by step training in anything your heart desires.

There is a wonderful tutorial called lynda.com but it is for the hearing world.

You will find oodles of free tutorials at this link including Word, Excel, Photshop and even eBay basics just look on the left of the page for a full list. What's great about these is you can learn at your own pace. I used a few of their tutorials when I was a newbie and am so glad I did :-)

http://www.edum  -net-basics.html

August 3, 2011 Flag

I am a senior citizen and have a deep interest in participating in various types of computer based training opportunities. I need this training to be offered free of cost by some social institute whether government or NGO. Does anyone have a suggestion where I can look?

By CK Mehta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A good place to start is your senior centers if you have them where you live.

Another option is a willing teenager. I was an early senior when I really started learning.

Good luck and enjoy, Keeper

Best Answer

Many states offer free college courses for senior citizens. I've enclosed a link to a site that lists information for senior education for each state:

http://www.seni  ioreducation.htm

I was in my late forties when I took a two year secretarial course, but any job I had after that didn't allow me to do anything other than data entry, which is basically typing.

Back when I took that secretarial course, computers didn't even have a mouse, and the programs were a lot different, too. I got my first computer about 12 years ago and that was one that I got at a pawn shop. However, what I know now on a computer is what I have taught myself. I am now 71 years old, and am fairly computer literate, all self taught.

I have a girlfriend who just got her first computer last winter, and she hasn't had any up to date training either, and every once in awhile she will call me up and say "guess what I just figured out how to do."

If you have any grand children they cna probably help you out, too. The only time I ask my grandchildren for help is if I have a problem with various of the more modern computer things. For basic computing, you should be able to teach yourself.

A lot of community colleges have those types of programs. You should find your nearest community college and ask around about it.

Try your local library.

There is a site I use all the time and I am 70. She's called the Computer Lady. Check her out at eboston@gwi.net. Or Goggle "Computer Lady". Her name is Elizabeth Boston and she puts it in terms that are easy to understand. Sign up with her to get her lessons. She has really helped me.

Check with your local library. I know our library has computer classes in various subjects. There is a senior class that has yearly fee and other computer classes that are free to anyone, including the seniors. they have computers that you use so it is a hands on experience. But check with your local library is my suggestion. Good luck.

You can ge3t an online course for Word Perfect here http://www.webm  ingcourses.shtml

Excel is on one of these two sites:

http://www.ozgr  /basic-index.htm

http://www.comp  aining/excel.htm

All three of these sites are free.

March 25, 2010 Flag

Can someone help me find a free site for senior citizens that can help me to learn how to do more things on my computer?
Thank you.

By Carole from Utica, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have two websites for you to check out. Not knowing what you REALLY want to learn about computers these two sites should give you a few options. http://www.about.com/compute/

http://www.findtutorials.com/ I couldn't get this last one to come up but it could be my connection, it's flaky at best :)

I don't know about sites on net but great sources for

learning about computers are free classes at some libraries, some community colleges, and senior centers.

The Computer Lady has a wonderful site. Sign up and you will receive a newsletter and you can look in the archives for all sorts of question and answers. I hope this helps you. http://www.asktcl.com/

You will 'LOVE' this site! It has several completely detailed tutorials and you can save the full PDF's to your documents for future reference and/or to print out! I've learned oodles for free from here!

http://www.edumax.com/

I know that my senior center has free time for anyone to come in and learn more about using the computer, check yours, maybe it does too!

A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens
Better Living Self ImprovementMarch 3, 2017
Seniors Luncheon
Seniors' Luncheon Ideas
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Senior Woman eating lunch after shopping
Saving Money as a Senior Citizen
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 10:26:16 AM on 10.0.2.108 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.