Free Computer Training for Senior Citizens

I am a senior citizen and have a deep interest in participating in various types of computer based training opportunities. I need this training to be offered free of cost by some social institute whether government or NGO. Does anyone have a suggestion where I can look?

By CK Mehta

A good place to start is your senior centers if you have them where you live.

Another option is a willing teenager.I was an early senior when I really started learning.

Good luck and enjoy, Keeper

Many states offer free college courses for senior citizens. I've enclosed a link to a site that lists information for senior education for each state:

http://www.seniorresource.com/senioreducation.htm

I was in my late forties when I took a two year secretarial course, but any job I had after that didn't allow me to do anything other than data entry, which is basically typing.

Back when I took that secretarial course, computers didn't even have a mouse, and the programs were a lot different, too. I got my first computer about 12 years ago and that was one that I got at a pawn shop. However, what I know now on a computer is what I have taught myself. I am now 71 years old, and am fairly computer literate, all self taught.

I have a girlfriend who just got her first computer last winter, and she hasn't had any up to date training either, and every once in awhile she will call me up and say "guess what I just figured out how to do."

If you have any grand children they cna probably help you out, too. The only time I ask my grandchildren for help is if I have a problem with various of the more modern computer things. For basic computing, you should be able to teach yourself.

A lot of community colleges have those types of programs. You should find your nearest community college and ask around about it.

Try your local library.

There is a site I use all the time and I am 70. She's called the Computer Lady. Check her out at eboston@gwi.net. Or Goggle "Computer Lady". Her name is Elizabeth Boston and she puts it in terms that are easy to understand. Sign up with her to get her lessons. She has really helped me.

Check with your local library. I know our library has computer classes in various subjects. There is a senior class that has yearly fee and other computer classes that are free to anyone, including the seniors. they have computers that you use so it is a hands on experience. But check with your local library is my suggestion. Good luck.

You can ge3t an online course for Word Perfect here http://www.webmarketingezine.com/freetrainingcourses.shtml

Excel is on one of these two sites:

http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/free-training/basic-index.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/training/excel.htm

All three of these sites are free.

February 21, 2012 Flag

My part time job wants me to get more computer training in both Word Perfect and Excel. They also want me to get letter formatting training. I'm a deaf older lady that has a little over 2 years to work before I can go off SSDI and collect social security. Where can I find free or inexpensive computer software training?

By Ella P.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are a senior, you should go to a local community college and ask them about a program like that. A lot of community colleges give computer classes to seniors

Only social security can tell you if you qualify for benefits. So why not ask them.

You might check your city's recreation centers. They offer classes in numerous things, usually. Check the library also.

I don't know if Microsoft still does this, but when I needed to add to my skills on their software, I went to their website and used several basic free training modules. I learned a lot about Excel especially that I am still using today.

I'd start on their website for whatever free training they have.

A good place to get a bit of training is actually some of the temporary job placement agencies. You can request to be tested and let them know that you'd like to brush up on your skills. They have programs where you sit down at the computer, take the test and learn new skills in all areas of Microsoft Office. I believe frugalsunnie also had a great idea. I didn't know there were modules online - it may be the same as what the temporary agencies use. It would be good to check both.

Here is a link to the online training: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/CH010369478.aspx

If you place your cursor over the "support" tab, there is a drop-down list for other areas of Office - such as Excel, Outlook or Powerpoint, etc. Hope this helps and good luck.

If you need help with programs other than office, you might try that program's website for help and support also.

Try the internet. You can find anything on the internet. Step by step training in anything your heart desires.

My county waives credit fees for senior citizens to attend the local community college. Try yours.

There is a wonderful tutorial called lynda.com but it is for the hearing world. I googled "computer training for the deaf" and got this wonderful list, which addresses your situation a bit further down the page.

I hope this helps.

PBP

http://www.ask.com/web?q=computer+t ... +the+deaf&qsrc=2991&gct=serp

You will find oodles of free tutorials at this link including Word, Excel, Photshop and even eBay basics just look on the left of the page for a full list. What's great about these is you can learn at your own pace. I used a few of their tutorials when I was a newbie and am so glad I did :-)

http://www.edumax.com/vb-net-basics.html

A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens
Better Living Senior LivingAugust 3, 2011
Seniors Luncheon
Seniors' Luncheon Ideas
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Senior Woman eating lunch after shopping
Saving Money as a Senior Citizen
🎉
🎄