Building a Raised Vegetable Garden

I am trying to build a raised vegetable garden and I am looking for the materials that I need. Any suggestions?

By Jedev from Savannah, GA

My husband and father built one for me years ago. Used (I think) 1" X 12" boards, sunk some posts and used L-brackets to secure everything. At least, that's what I think they did. I don't even think about the construction anymore . . . I just use it!

Best of luck with your raised bed. Our clay soil is terrible, and it's nice to have good soil to work with so the plants can thrive!

Search for my garden. I have a picture there, kffrmw88, or email me at kffrmw88 AT I'll send the picture & info to you. I have a garden all the time, good luck.

I use blocks holes turned up.I plant onions,garlic, herbs and flowers in the holes.I have had gardens, with diff. woods. The block will last, almost forever.Besides you can replace one, easy and cheap. Alot of times you can get them free, just look around.

This is just a tip if you have multiple raised beds beside each other. I like to kneel between the beds and rest on the edge of the beds to weed them. Just make sure the beds are far enough apart to be able to kneel comfortably.

If you can get hold of old tires these stacked two or three on top of each other make great raised beds.

If you are using tires, plant flowers only. The contamination from the tires is horrific.

All I have is raised beds all over my yard. I can mix vegies and flowers or leave each to themselves. I use the ends of my metal clothes lines as who uses to the ends anyway. One end has a U shaped and the other rectangle. They are 8 foot planks from the local Menards lumber store UNTREATED or get the 'green' safely treated. Mine are 4 foot wide. Can reach from either side. You may need 1-2 planks high, depending on what you are doing.

I use squares here and there in the yard, a wrapped on around the house 20 inches high, 3 feet deep to the house foundation. So that is about 40 feet long.

I plant similar vegies together or look in a plant book which ones are best next to each other. I also do not give them the row separation like the packets say. My rows in my peas, beans, lettuce, spinach are 6 inches apart. I run fencing wire up between the rows and train the vegies to follow. Makes for almost NO weeding. The fence is about 3 feet tall.

I turn over all beds where vegies go every year spring and fall. The fall lets the leaves 'rot' and the spring gets peat, sand, a couple bags of new dirt to each one and sheep manure. That component doesn't get TOO HOT for then, other types of manure can.

My tomatoes are planted in the U garden, along with the other vining--cukes, zucchini, squash, etc. Each gets their own tomato cage to crawl through. So they can be closer. I trim tomatoes so they stay at least 10 inches up from the ground. AIR is important. Also when you water, you lay the garden hose down and let it run. Do not water from the top.

I train the cukes up the cages and around the clothes line end. Put the same fencing in between the kinds of vegies too. An old crib rail standing on end trellis! Inbetween the U I put down cement blocks to help keep mud to a minimum. And weeds don't grow that way.

I have many layers of starting vegies, when one crop is done, I have another growing 4-6 weeks behind it. I eat spinach, peas, lettuce, etc till it freezes and snows. Vegies that are fall types (beets, carrots, etc) I plant on an end.

I use lots of bone meal, miracle grow, mix in your compost, the sandbox goes in at fall, etc. Doesn't have to cost alot. Oh, the most important thing I find for my garden is EPSOM SALTS. Magnesium sulfate. Has the directions on the package for gardens. Anything vegie flowering needs a boost weekly of this.

I rotate and transplant the flower beds as the season goes on. My herb garden is at one end between the vegie side of the yard and the flower side. I put my herbs in bottomless margarine tubs (3# size) and they stay contained instead of spreading where I have to fight with them. Then my labels (attached to skewers) stay put too. No question for anyone looking for something in the garden.

Home and Garden Gardening Raised BedsApril 1, 2009
wood framed garden bed
Building Raised Beds
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Gardening in Raised Beds
Gardening in Raised Beds
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond