Ask for Gifts for Others at Your Party

Every year, I have a Christmas open house and invite everyone on my Christmas card list. I usually end up having 50-70 guests show up. It is a blast. Only thing is, I always ended up with several bottles of wine or liquor (we do not drink) and a ton of boxes of candy which I really didn't need. This last year I had a brainstorm. On the invitation, I requested that instead of bringing a hostess gift, the guests bring an item suitable for a young child to be donated to charity. It was a huge success! And the charity organization I donated it to was thrilled.

As an added note, my great-niece did the same thing for her birthday party. She donated all of her presents to the poor.

This very small gesture will bring great joy to those who receive your donated items and will give you and your family a sense of the real meaning of giving.

By Antiquefreeque from WISCONSIN

What a great idea! Food Share would be another thankful recipient. Keep up the good work/deeds. let's hope others follow your lead.

Better Living Charity TipsApril 27, 2009
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts
common or stinging nettle
What is This Weed?
A bride and bridesmaids.
Saving Money on Bridesmaid Dresses