Men's GroomingBeauty

Braun Shaver Clean & Charge Cartridges

Does anyone know a recipe for the alcohol based cleaning fluid in the Braun Clean & Charge Refills?

Jeannie from SC

We have been saving the old cartridges and refilling them with plain old alcohol. My husband is equally satisfied with the result and I have not purchaed refills in almost 2 years

Buy a bottle of "EVERCLEAR" grain alcohol (this is 95% alcohol or 190 proof available at most liquor stores)

Small bottle of lemon extract (available at any grocery store)

Directions:

Rinse out and shake out the empty cartridge a few times until there is no residue left

Air dry , or if you are in a hurry, use a hair dryer to dry the inside.

Use a measuring cup and pour approx 150 to 160 ml of alcohol (2/3 cup) into the empty cartridge

Add 5 caps of lemon extract (using the small bottle)

You now have a near duplicate mixture of the Braun Synchro cleaner. Works Great!

or

Here are the ingredients:

* SLX denatured alcohol, 1 gallon, $10.20 at Home Depot.

* Singer sewing machine oil, 4 oz, $2.99 at fabric & craft stores. If you can't find it, you can try shredder oil from Staples, or other high-speed machine oil.

* McCormick pure lemon extract, $3.79 for 1 oz at grocery stores. This is optional. You'll need this if you want your razor to have that lemony fresh smell. Be sure to get extract, not lemon juice. Lemon extract is an oil made from the skins. You'll need two ounces to make 22 refills.

Directions:

Rinse the empty cartridge with water. I don't bother to completely clean it out. Just rinse it a few times, then let it dry.

Add 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract.

Add 1/2 teaspoon machine oil.

Fill the cartridge almost to the top with the alcohol.

You should have enough to make 22 refills.

make sure you use denatured alcohol NOT rubbing alcohol

Why not use rubbing alcohol for the basis of the recipe?

What is your reason for saying that?

Is there a trick or procedure for cleaning out the cartridge first?

Hi,

Here how to do it:

50% alcohol

1ml of glycerin (that's what they use to lubricate the pump mechanism and the shaver, ask at your drug store)

and citron smell (I don't put any)

That's it!

When I got my Pulsonic for Christmas three years ago I was quite pleased until I figured out how expensive the cleaning cartridges were. I tried to find out what is in them buy researching the MSDS information but struck out. I did find out what is in the Norelco Jet Clean solution. Jet Clean is alcohol based just like the Braun cleaner. Jet clean has three additives: ALS, TMP and fragrance.

ALS is a cleaner that is used in a lot of shampoos and soaps. You will have a hard time finding any one to sell it to you in any quantities less than a 55 Gallon drum. TMP is a high quality expensive synthetic lubricant that is not broken down by the alcohol.

After months of googling and calling chemical companies I was able to get these chemicals in a quantity that would last several life times. You can benefit by my quantity purchase. I have quality product that will save you some money.

I decided to make my cleaner without the fragrance to keep the price down and also because I did not want to take a chance of breaking down the lubricating properties of the TMP lubricant.

Glycerin is used in the Philips brands cleaner that is water based. I think the lubricating properties of the glycerin are dissolved by alcohol. If you want to know what ALS and TMP are visit my eBay item with the link listed above to satisfy you curiosity. If you buy my product you will save at least 50% of the cost of operating your Braun razor. Plus you will keep some plastic out of the land fills. If you have any questions about my product please contact me through eBay. I will be happy to share my experience with you.

I've been using a much less expensive refill for the cartridge called Shaver Shebang that can be found on the Organek Living site. I think it may also be on Amazon.

They use a different formula that also lubricates the face for a smoother shave. I find that to be most true towards the beginning of the shave. By the end of the shave, the lubrication is gone.

I've read that alcohol alone isn't sufficient, because the shaver works best and lasts longer with a small amount of lubrication. I think Shaver Shebang just loads up on more lubricants that also work well on the skin.