Keeping Chrome Clean

How can I preserve and clean up chrome?

By Isewlate from Wilkes-Barre, PA

Best Answer

Squirt five or six drops of dish washing detergent into a bucket. Fill the bucket with a half-gallon of water. Swish the detergent around to make a sudsy solution.

Dip a soft cloth into the bucket, wring it out, and wash the chrome. This will remove loose dirt and grime than can scratch the metal when you polish it. Rinse the cloth as it becomes soiled. Good luck.

Best Answer

Borax, borax, borax. I can't say it enough. I use this for prepping my car for shows, its natural eco friendly, a natural mold killer. It is not abrasive mix with water if it is needed for fine detail. Works on the rims of my Miata to the side chrome on my 57 Chevy. I use it to clean laundry and rid the convertible of mold issues. Its cheap too and can be found in the laundry section almost everywhere.

One thought is to go to an auto parts store and look over their offering of car care products. They usually have chrome cleaners.

I am not sure if you're talking about chrome for household fixtures or a car but either way all you have to do is keep them clean and/or wiped down with a rag.

Chrome Faucet
Cleaning Chrome
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMarch 18, 2010
Polished Chrome on Classic Car
Polishing Chrome
Rust on Chrome
Removing Rust from Chrome
Closeup of Chrome
Painting Over Chrome
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean