Turning a Fan into an Air Conditioner

Does anyone have any ideas on how to turn my fan into an air cooler? Inexpensively, obviously. I need them to do more than just blow the hot air around, I need them to blow cool air around. I've tried hanging Blue Ice in front of them but it didn't work.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

In the old days they used to put bowls of ice water in front of them to make a swampcooler-sort of thing. I have had success with that & just cold water. (The water evaporates, using heat, thereby cooling some of air) - It does help a BIT - but not in a big way - Also make sure your windows are shaded to keep hot sun out.

You could use dry ice, but it puts carbon dioxide in the air so you'd need ventilation! I would stick with regular ice or about 10 (or more) of the blue ice. Put it on a table right in front of the fan. You can also spray water in front of the fan while you stand there. The mist feels good when it lands on you & is refreshing!

Another idea: You may be able to soak a furnace filter in water & wire lean this against the front (& maybe also the back) of the fan.

The oldest way is to hang a wet bathtowel in front of it and re-wet it as needed.

We've never tried any of these techniques. What we do is always have at least one or two fans facing out, rather than in. The resulting breeze usually keeps our home comfortable, except in the hottest weather. I'm going to suggest a couple of these ideas to hubby, though, thanks! JustPlainJo, Ohio

I found a site that has instructions on turning your fan into a swamp cooler using a large container with a tight fitting lid, and some hand towels.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... _without_air_conditioning.html?cat=6

Woman Cooling Off in Front of Fan
Keeping Cool in Hot Weather
Consumer Advice General AdviceApril 27, 2009
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Barbecue grill with a variety of meats, shish kabobs, corn and veggies with a family in the background
Keep Cool By Cooking Outside