Keeping Cool in Hot Weather

When the temperatures rise, there are a number of ways to stay comfortable. This page is about keeping cool in hot weather.

Cool off with these 30 Fun and Easy Tips:

1. Run through the sprinkler with your kids, get out the slip and slide, the super soaker or the kiddie pool (add ice cubes).

2. Have a water balloon fight.

3. Plug in the fans, add streamers. Mind your fingers! Put a bowl of ice in front of the fan for added cooling power.

4. Place a wet sheet in the open window. As the breeze passes through, you'll cool the room a bit. Frugal wind chill!

5. Go swimming. You don't sweat underwater!

6. Take a cold shower.

7. Freeze your shower gel before using.

8. Have your spouse or your kids run an ice cube up and down your back.

9. Stand in front of the freezer case at your local grocery.

10. Re-visit your basement (clean it out while you are down there cooling off).

11. Go ice skating.

12. Visit an air conditioned mall, library, or museum.

13. Head to a local cave where it is always about 54 degrees F.

14. Buy lemonade from the kids in your neighborhood.

15. Make your own sun tea, popsicles, or fruit smoothies.

16. Drink your coffee iced.

17. Think cool - tell yourself you are comfortable. Mind over matter really works!

18. Visit your local ice-cream parlor.

19. Wear linen, a straw hat, light colored clothing.

20. Watch "Cool" Movies: Happy Feet, Cool Hand Luke, Ice Age.

21. Listen to "Cool" Tunes: Ice-T, Vanilla Ice, Ice Cube.

22. Read a "Cool" Book: Scott of the Antarctic by David Crane, Into Think Ari by Jon Krakauer.

23. Put the top down ANYWAY!

24. Eat a salad dinner, picnic style.

25. Wash your car - Water hose fight!

26. Stay hydrated.

27. Sleep.

28. Exercise in the very early morning.

29. Close the damper on your fireplace to keep out hot air

30. Adopt a Cooling yoga position-seated forward bends, roll your tongue into a tube, and breathe in and out through it; pressing your chin to your chest as you breathe in. Check www.yogayak.com and search for cooling breath for a video.

By Diana from Prospect, KY

It is a balmy 111 degrees in Los Angeles today and I've found my best ally is my hot water bottle. Before popping it in the freezer, I fill it up with water only halfway, because water expands as it freezes. In a couple hours, I have a large, soft, super cold pack to hold up against my body to cool down. I use one for a couple hours while another one sets up in the freezer. Pure bliss!

I live near Portland, Oregon and we are in the midst of a heat wave. We usually have temperatures in the 80s at this time of year, but today it is forecasted to be 105!

Many people, including myself, don't have built in air conditioning. Here is what my family is doing to keep cool.

A dog being bathed in a kiddie pool outdoors.

The dog days of summer are soon upon us and that air conditioner looks mighty tempting, but keep these ideas in mind.

The heat in Europe is fierce these days, and I had been suffering until I remembered a trick I learned in Africa, but is surely well known in the southern USA.

This is a health tip for dangerous hot weather.

I am really enjoying my parasol this summer! Even with a hat and sunglasses, it's much nicer to have one's own shade at an outdoor party or event. And there are a lot of inexpensive options out there.

I keep a sopping-wet micro fiber towel in a sealed Ziploc baggie in my refrigerator. I use the towel to wet myself down when heat gets to be too much.

I then rinse the towel, wet it again to level of "soppiness", and cool in the refrigerator.

Looking for a way for keeping cool without an air conditioner? Put a large bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan. Turn on the fan. The ice will cool the air from the fan and quickly cool you off. Replace ice cubes as needed.

If you have to go out in this heat and you wear a cloth ball cap. Take some cold water and put it in the hat; wring the hat out so you don't drip on anything and put it on your head. It works. I've done this forever.

One of the best ways of dealing with summer heat as you work outside your home is to wear a clean wet towel around your neck.

Since I don't have air conditioning in either my home or car, I keep spray bottles of water around for a quick cool off. When it starts getting hot, I just give myself a quick fine spray. It isn't enough to get really wet.

Are your kids looking for an activity to keep them cool on a hot summer day, but you don't want to take them to the busy pool? Simply, reuse a couple of bottles with a small hole in the lid. Ketchup bottles and some salad dressing bottles work great!

A condiment bottle for use as a makeshift squirt gun.

Years ago when I worked in a nursing home, the halls were air conditioned, but not the individual rooms. We would take a hand towel, soak it in cold water, ring it out and wrap around our necks, repeating as necessary.

I have done this frequently at home, too.

To keep cool on a very hot day, turn on your fan and arrange a bowl of ice-cubes in front of it. Just like having an air-conditioner without the cost. Enjoy!

Keep a few cans of tuna or chicken in the fridge, for in those times when you need a quick meal. They'll be great to either drain and toss on top of a green salad or a quickie dish of tuna or chicken salad.

I keep a large shoe-box-sized plastic container in the freezer filled with feed corn. It's actually wide enough for both of my bare feet to fit side-by-side. On hot days, or if my feet hurt, I pull it out, stick my feet into plastic bags, then dig my toes deep into the feed corn!

For a nice pick-me-up for upcoming summer weather, put your spray on body mists or sprays in the refrigerator to keep them cold! When you spritz yourself, it's a nice treat to have tingling cold and pretty smelling mist rather then room temperature!

Tips for cooking in hot weather.

Load More

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 10, 2012
🐛
😷
😎
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Cool-in-Hot-Weather.html