Use Facecloths to Keep Cool

We have had lots of posts about facecloths and we all love them, so here is just one more small benefit. The heat in Europe is fierce these days, and I had been suffering until I remembered a trick I learned in Africa, but is surely well known in the southern USA.

Put a damp face cloth on the back of your neck for a few minutes, then move it around your shoulders, and finally placed it on top of head. I even put it on my chest as I worked on my laptop.

When it became as hot as I was myself, I refreshed with ice cold water and started all over again. I had a comfortable afternoon, and actually forgot it was 100 degrees outside. I have no air conditioning.

Perhaps this would help people to save on energy during these torrid months of summer.

By joanfry from France

Yes, I agree. I too live in Europe with 100 degree - and more - temperatures. I also have no air conditioning.

The only difference is that I keep my facecloth in a clean plastic bag in the refrigerator. I use it at night as well to ease my menopausal hot flushes. It works a treat.

We here in the deep South truly know of this cool benefit! Try putting the rag in the freezer for about five minutes. It feels wonderful. Also, leave the cloth on your wrists as well as for cooling you down.

This is a wonderful tip. I use a hand towel rather than a face cloth and leave it in the freezer longer, but it helped me survive the record high temperatures Ohio got throughout July and August.

I heard even Colorado got temperatures near 100 this year.

I always bring a wet towel in the hot car with me. I drape it over my arm, my head, my lap, or place behind my neck. I bring a jug of water with me to keep the towel most. This is essential for hot weather driving.

Better Living Simple LivingAugust 31, 2011
🌻
🎂
📓