Remedy For Tape Worms

By teetee 1

Is there a home remedy for a puppy that has a tape worm?

By teetee from north Ft Myers, FL

Filter Sort

By vicki hood 4 563 Flag

Diatomaceous Earth, MUST BE FOOD GRADE for intestinal worms. Do not use garden or pool grade diatomaceous earth as it has poisons in it. Feed and seed store usually carries it or order on the internet. Inexpensive. Effective. Not a poison. Sprinkle over food and intestinal worms are eliminated. Easy and dosage can be every day for awhile. Dosage not critical. Not a poison. An effective natural product. Small dogs/cats 1/4 teaspoon a day. Adjust as to size. Many benefits. Check internet. Use as a blessing. Puppies are born with roundworms. Tapeworms come from fleas. Eliminate fleas with dry 20 mule team borax in carpets. Read my previous posts on pet health. Puppy love is the beginning of a best friend.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

Hello, I am sorry to tell you that there is not an over the counter medication to treat your pet for tapeworms. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please take a fecal sample to your Vet and have them check the sample for any parasites. There may be more than tapeworms. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Julia 147 1,074 Flag

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is all we ever use. Just be sure you're buying the Food Grade one.

We sprinkled it into our carpets as well and left it for a couple of weeks, just to be sure to kill any other parasites and fleas that could be there.

We use it on little kittens, puppies, and when we had pet chickens, they were given DE in their food every day as well.

This is something that pet owners should never be without. Since it is not a poison, you may use it freely indoors and outdoors on bedding, all food dishes and nesting areas.

Good Luck to you.

Pookarina

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Home Made Remedy for Tape Worms

I have tape worms in my dogs. There is a mixture of things to make tape worm medicine. I have lost the recipe. I know you use fish medicine in it. Can anyone help me?

By Shelbie from Forest, LA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240 Flag

Tradewinds for Dogs is the best medicine for tapeworms It is over the counter. Also, there is safeguard for dogs and puppies, but it only treats the type of tapeworms that come from eating rodents and animals, and not the more commo type that comes from the pet ingesting fleas.

Tradewind is the best and you can find it at drsfosersmith.com...or at feed supply store. Sometimes you can find it at stores but not usually.

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith. ... nt=0&subtotal=0.00&division=

For roundworms and such I use Nemex and have been very happy with it as well. The Nemex will get them all but not the tapes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Remedy For Tape Worms

I am out of work and can't afford tape worm meds for my four month old puppy. Is there a home remedy for eliminating this parasite?

Mr. Edwin

Answers:

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Here is a site with some herbal treatments for worms. I didn't have time to read the whole page or follow all the links but there might be some information there for you.

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/parasites.htm

Why do you think your puppy has tape worms?

It might not be too expensive to take a stool sample to a vet or the humane society and if they find them, just get the medication you need without an office call. It's worth calling around.

Take care,
Susan from ThriftyFun (06/01/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Do you have a friend or relative who could lend you the money for a vet's visit? You can find some worm medicine, relatively cheap, at a Farm supply store, or even Wal-Mart. I don't know how well they work though, but have heard that they are helpful. I do know that the best tick preventive is Frontline, which I did get from our vet, but found out I can get it much cheaper at Rural King stores. You can even get medicine for pets' injections there, but I don't want to try that, I will leave that to my vet.
I don't know about home remedies, but you can check out this site---vetinfo.com, and see if you can find some help there.
Good luck! (06/01/2005)

By Kentucky-lass

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Ivermectin is available without a prescription, it may be bought by mail anyway. Humane society is a bet too, they would know. (06/02/2005)

By Barbaral

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

This sounds like something better left to the professionals. You might find a vet that would set fees for you on a sliding scale according to what you can pay, or let you pay over time. The humane society might also have some ideas about how you can get free or low-cost pet care. (06/02/2005)

By Claudia

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Tapeworms are very hard to eliminate, they are the result of fleas. The dog scratches with the mouth, ingesting the flea eggs, and the result is tapeworms. If you eliminate the fleas, the problem will be easier to control. The medicine for tapeworms is very strong. If possible at all, see your vet, or at least make a call to him. The over the counter drugs are not nearly as effective as the prescribed medicine. I have gone both ways and the vet medicine is much better. You will have a re infestation if the flea problem is not reduced. (06/02/2005)

By Kawasue

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

A visit to the vet with your pup's stool sample is by far the safest and most effective way to deal with his problem. Tape worm treatment from the vet is simple and effective. However, our pets get tapeworms from ingesting fleas. Therefore, his fleas must be treated also. The vet is the best source of accurate information and effective treatment. Your pup's bed and living area must be kept free of fleas. He can still pick them up from grass and weeds. Discuss your budget concern with your vet ahead of time. I'm sure you won't be the first pet owner with that concern. And remember your vet's first priority is his/her animal patients! (10/28/2005)

By wonfivegolf

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

If you can't afford to buy wormer this will help. I boil walnut hulls and add to my dogs drinking water. I also put pumpkin seeds in their food, and they are fit as fiddles. Most people will gladly let you pick walnuts up out of their yard before the squirrels plant them everywhere. (03/05/2007)

By creetabell

Archive: Remedy For Tape Worms

What is the most natural way to rid a dog of tape worms?

D.L. from Bonney Lake, WA

Answers:

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Dogs & cats get tape worms from fleas. A cat could get the fleas off of a mouse or off the lawn or from another animal. If you prevent fleas, then you prevent tapeworms. At least that's what my vet said. But, that's only PREVENTION.

To actually rid your pet of the tapeworm you have to get the worm to stop attaching to the stomach or intestine lining. Once it lets go of the lining the stomach acid will digest & kill it. The little "rice-like" grains that you see under your pets tail are actually the worm reproducing.

If it were me, I'd use whatever chemical or drug that your vet sells that you need to rid your pet of these nasty critters. But as far as a "natural" solution, any kind of hot peppers or cayenne can help remove parasites, but I doubt very much that your dog will eat them. Your best bet is to first remove the tape worm by using what your vet recommends, then use natural ways to keep fleas away so they won't come back.

If you can't afford a vet visit, then buy the worming treatment online. But, I bet you can just go in to any vet & ask them for the worming meds without them actually seeing your animal.

PS. I also live in Western WA & since you live in Bonney Lake, WA, you can go to the Federal Way "Vets for Less" animal clinic. They worm & give shots for half the price of other vets. Check out their web site. It's worth the drive to Federal Way. (It's located where I-5 meets Highway 18) ...I drive 20 miles to go to them & like I said, it's worth the drive if your car gets good gas mileage because you'll save money in the long run.

PRICES:
http://www.vetsforless.com/pricing.html (10/15/2008)

By Cyinda

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

The walnut hulls and pumpkin seeds are an excellent home remedy. However, you need to be VERY careful about giving Ivermectin to dogs without a vet overseeing it, certain dog breeds like collies have a gene that makes Ivermectin deadly to them. You can give ivermectin to cats under a vets direction but I would be extremely cautious about doing so. Ivermectin does not kill all types of parasites that animals can get, you have to read the label of the particular brand you get. (10/15/2008)

By Anna

Archive: Remedy For Tape Worms

I was just wondering if any one knows how to get rid of tape worms, without having to take my cats to the vet. Right now we are on a very tight budget, and do not have extra money to take them there, otherwise I would. Thank you in advance.

Amber

Feedback:

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Home Remedies "do not work" and might be dangerous to give to your cat. Please take your fur-baby to the vet to have an injection of tapeworm meds. Ivermec is "not" a tape worm medication.

Good luck. (11/01/2008)

By Sherri and Sophie

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Your vet should be able to just give you the tapeworm pills without a visit and they are not very expensive. Explain to them that you can't afford to have a stool sample done and a vet visit, but that you are certain it is tapeworm. Our vet would give us some every 6 months or so for our cats and dogs as it is a common occurrence in pets. As if I am going to bring in stool samples for 5 animals and vet visits every 3-6 months.(11/01/2008)

By Izzyflip

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Diatamaous Earth. I sprinkle it on applesauce for my kids to get rid of pin worms. I also give it to our cat. It is all natural. I get it at a bulk place that sells grain. Probably can get it on the internet. Cheap, and natural way. (11/01/2008)

By Valora

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

A friend who fosters cats and kittens for the Sheena Foundation gave me this tip. We have five much-loved cats. The best medication for worming and defleaing is called Revolution. The vet charges $30 per dose, and all you have to do is inject it under the skin between the shoulder blades. Our cats didn't even notice when we gave it to them. My friend says she buys the large dog package and a tiny syringe. There are instructions in the package for how to figure the dose, and they say that giving a larger dose is not harmful to the animal. I bought one of those packages and a syringe at our vet for $38.00. I treated all five cats and there is enough left over for at least two more rounds. The dog and cat Revolution are the identical medication. Our kitties feel much better. Hope this helps. (11/03/2008)

By Coreen

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Revolution is not for treating tapeworms. It is for roundworm, hookworm, heartworm, ticks, and fleas.
Because your pet can get tapeworm from eating fleas, Revolution will help stop a reoccurence from the flea source, but tapeworm can also come from your cat eating meat such as mice. Revolution is by no means cheap either. The $30 quote is for one dose that lasts one month and Revolution must be given every month for it to be effective. Your best and economical solution is still to get the proper tapeworm meds from your vet and administer them yourself. (11/03/2008)

By Izzyflip

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Tractor Supply has worm pills. They work great and are inexpensive. (01/31/2009)

By Jim J.

Archive: Remedy For Tape Worms

Does anyone know of home remedies for tapeworms?

By JR from Angola, IN

Feedback:

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

Are you referring to humans or animals? http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec17/ch196/ch196p.html (11/08/2009)

By MCW

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

For kids and pets, you need to give them the treatment the vet or doctor prescribes. But for adult humans you can first try eating lots of cayenne and other hot peppers in and on your food before going the way of the drugs. The worms hate hot pepper for obvious reasons. That's one reason why you'll see people that live in high parasite areas (like Thailand, Southeast Asia, India, and South America) eating lots of hot and spicy things. Hot peppers can really bother your stomach so make sure that you eat it with food. Cayenne is a mild stimulant, so don't take it right before bed time!

My kids pediatrician volunteered in Thailand and he said that over two-thirds of the people that live there have parasites (like worms)! *Yikes!* My vet said that tape worms can be contagious. Don't let pets up on your kitchen counters where your food is prepared! (11/08/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

I really wouldn't go there, as the drugs make it hard enough. Pop for the money on this one - it's awful enough and lethal enough to mess around with home remedies. (11/10/2009)

By damaged05170

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. There is not a home remedy for tapeworms. Tapeworms are caused by your cat/dog ingesting a flea egg. Please take your fur baby to his vet for a pill/injection of Droncit. Good luck. (11/11/2009)

By K9cats

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

If you're talking about a pet please call your vet! There definitely is no home or over the counter remedy for tapeworms that work! If you can't afford a vet bill just let them know and I am pretty certain they will still prescribe for you without actually seeing the vet, but you might need to take your pet in to be weighed for a safe dosage amount.

Please don't dilly dally because those tapeworms are depleting your pets nutrition! (11/11/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Remedy For Tape Worms

The medication to treat tapeworms is praziquantel, and the dose for an average size adult cat is 23 mg. If you have only 1 cat, you can buy the Tradewind brand tapeworm pills at PETsMART (or on their website) for about $15. If you have multiple cats, do a search on the web for "fish tapes". It is exactly the same medication, but packaged for aquariums, comes as a powder, and is much cheaper. You do have to figure out the dosage, mix it with water and syringe it into the cat's mouth, but the cost saving is amazing. (11/11/2009)

By suescats

Dog With Tapeworms
Treating a Dog With Tapeworms
Pets HealthApril 24, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Worm in the Lawn
Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
growing tomatoes
Worms Eating Tomatoes
cat
Remedies for Worms in Cats
Dog With Tapeworms
Treating a Dog With Tapeworms
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 6:30:15 PM on 10.0.1.238 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsAnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings