Cleaning Your Dog's Ears

My Lavender keeps shaking her head, as though she has something inside her ears. How safely can I clean her ears, and with what?
We thank you!

By Lavender Mommie from Sunny CA

Dog with big ears.

Check just inside the dog's ears for any discharge that looks a lot like coffee grounds (yes, it will be black or really dark brown). If she has that is is highly likely that she has ear mites. The head shaking is what my cocker spaniel used to do every time he got ear mites. My vet prescribed some ear cleaner that we had to use once a day for the first week and then once a week after that (I think that was the has been a while since doing this.) There are over the counter ear cleaners, but I don't know how effective they are.

Hello. First of all she is just adorable. Hugs to her! Please go to your veterinarian and have them do an examination for ear mites. The veterinarian is the only person that can prescribe medication for this. Do not use a home remedy or anything from over the counter. It does not work. I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Good luck.

Baby oil, or mineral oil is good to clean ears with. Fill the ear canal and massage the base of the ear. Wipe it out with a cotton ball after a few minutes. I strongly suggest doing this outdoors because it gets messy when they shake their heads!

My vet told me a little alcohol on a cotton ball. I've been doing this awhile now on my chawinnie and I have not had any problems.

Cleaning Your Dog's Ears, A basset hound puppy with long brown ears.
Cleaning Your Dog's Ears
Pets Dogs GroomingJune 15, 2010
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears