Cleaning a Dog's Smelly Ears

What can I use in my dog's ears to take away the odor? She doesn't have an ear infection, and my groomer can't get the smell out either.

By Katie

Either your Vet or the local Pet Store will have ear cleaner. It consists of putting a few drops into the ear canal, and rubbing in a circular motion under the ear to remove waxy buildup. Also remember to clean the visable area inside the dogs ear of any wax buildup. If your dog has long ears that hang over the opening of the ear canal, air does not circulate well to dry this area out. So you may have to do this every 6mth's to a year.
Good Luck!

I mix the following: 1:1 solution of white vinegar and water. Heat in microwave just til warm. Add 10 drops tea tree oil. Use a white wash cloth. Saturate and squeeze solution into dogs ear canal. rub gently at base to work in. Let the dog shake it out. Wipe the ear flap clean with the wet wash cloth and dry with a towel. Repeat as necessary.

I use Zymox Ear Cleaner It gently cleans and inhibits bacterial growth. It is used for non infected dirty dog ears and is non toxic. Since your dog's ear smell a lot you may have to use this on a weekly basis to keep the odor in check. I think it leaves a pleasant smell in the ears. I buy it at Amazon.com you may be able to purchase at pet stores but am not sure about that. I have used other ear cleaners but I like this one the best for quality and price.

With no disrespect your Groomer is not a Veterinarian the only person qualified to pass option of problem

I had the same problem with my cocker spaniel. First, problem ears are many times the result of food allergies. Try a grain free food. Here is a recipe for home-made ear wash. I asked my vet if it was safe and she said YES. This works better than anything I've ever gotten from the vet.

16oz isopropyl alcohol or witch hazel (witch hazel stings less if the ears are very irritated.
4tb boric acid
16 drops gentian violet solution.

These items are inexpensive and this ear wash works. If you can't find boric acid in your local stores, try online.

Anonymous

Just FYI I use boric acid and my (farm/country) vet told me you can buy boric acid at just about any store including dollar store .... It's disguised as roach killer! Be sure and read ingredients to make sure it's 100% boric acid though

How do I get rid of the black tarry stinky stuff in my dog's ear? He always has it and I am constantly cleaning it. I've taken him to the vet and the medicine he gave me did not help. It just cost a lot of money I don't have. I have been dealing with this for years and getting very tired of it.

By Ev

Answers

My cat had black, tarry ears and when I took her to the vet they said it was ear mites. They are painful for the animal because they bite. The medication is very inexpensive so I hope you can take your dog to be checked for ear mites. It makes them miserable when they have it. Don't put anything like rubbing alcohol or peroxide in their ears as a home remedy because it is very painful on the ear mite bites.

In the best interest of your Dog change your veterinarian. Good luck.

I had a miniature pinscher for years that had the same problem and constant ear infections. Nothing the vet gave her helped...only made the black gunk worse. I started using a homemade recipe. 16 oz. bottle of isoprophyl alchol, 2 Tbsp. boric acid, 16 drops gentian violet. Mix all together. In the beginning when her ears were really bad I put a couple drops with an eye dropper in her ears every other day. After they cleared up I dropped down to once every couple of weeks. Then finally I started using the solution once a month....a couple drops in each ear. Everything cleared up...no more ear infections or black gunk in her ears. She was a much happier girl!! Make sure you shake it up really well before using each time....the boric acid has a tendency to sink to the bottom. If your local drugstore doesn't have the boric acid or the gentian violet it's easy to find online and cheap!! Good luck!!