Browsing: Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs

Dog is Licking Its Hair Off

Today I noticed that my dog was licking underneath her right leg. When I checked her, I noticed that underneath her right leg she did not have any hair unlike her left side were she has hair. What can this be and is it something I should be concerned about? She is 5 years old and a Shih Tzu.

By Nelson from Hackensack, NJ

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

There are many causes of this type of behavior including behavioral, allergic, and endocrine disorders to name a few. It is important to be adament about sharing information in detail with your Veterinarian such as when she is doing this behavior, type of diet fed, and the use of flea and tick products. Sometimes the smallest things such as a change of environment, household cleaners, and or laundry detergent can cause upsets. Other problems can be psychogenic grooming due to a need not being met. These cases are quite difficult to pinpoint but, are not impossible. I would suggest keeping a diary of behaviors and changes and presenting them to your vet. It may sound a little freaky but, the more information we have, the more able we are to get to the root of the problem! Good luck! :) SEUT RVT

Best Answer

It sounds to me your dog is still traumatized by the surgery and her nerves are getting the best of her which would cause her to lose her fur and as for the vomiting it is probably caused by her ingesting her hair like fur balls to a cat when they clean themselves.. When she goes to the vet again love her while she is there so she won't be so upset cause she remembers what happened the last time she went there, take her home and pay lots of attention to her and give her a special treat.

I agree with the last person keep a journal of any changes in her environment and her habits. Good Luck and God Bless!

It could be fleas or perhaps she is allergic to something.

Hello,

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years as an R.V.T.. Please take your baby to his/her Vet for an exam, it sounds like what the vet will call a hot spot. This can be treated with a topical medication and your vet might give her an injection to stop the itch. Good luck.

I agree, your dog should go to the vet.

Consult your veterinarian before the problem escalates.

September 21, 2010 Flag

We have a female hound-husky mix. She is 1 year old and seems to have serious nervous problems! These problems seem to have started shortly after having her spayed when she was 6 months old. I asked the Dr. if there could be any side affects from the surgery and she said no. She began by not listening to direct commands that she had done great before, such as sit and stay.

About 3 months ago she licked her tail and a lot of the hair was gone. We took her to the vet and she said that there was no evidence of mites/fleas etc. It hadn't happened again until a couple of days ago, but this time she has licked most of the hair off her tail, paw and forearm! She has vomited a few times in the past week too. I'm just a mess worried about it. I'm taking her to the vet today. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated, or just someone that understands!

Molly from Maryland

Answers:

Dog is Licking It's Hair Off

There are many causes of this type of behavior including behavioral, allergic, and endocrine disorders to name a few. It is important to be adamant about sharing information in detail with your Veterinarian such as when she is doing this behavior, type of diet fed, and the use of flea and tick products. Sometimes the smallest things such as a change of environment, household cleaners, and or laundry detergent can cause upsets.

Other problems can be psychogenic grooming due to a need not being met. These cases are quite difficult to pinpoint but, are not impossible. I would suggest keeping a diary of behaviors and changes and presenting them to your vet. It may sound a little freaky but, the more information we have, the more able we are to get to the root of the problem! Good luck! :) (11/15/2008)

By SEUT Registered Veterinary Technician

Dog is Licking It's Hair Off

It sounds to me your dog is still traumatized by the surgery and her nerves are getting the best of her which would cause her to lose her fur. And as for the vomiting, it is probably caused by her ingesting her hair like fur balls to a cat when they clean themselves. When she goes to the vet again love her while she is there so she won't be so upset cause she remembers what happened the last time she went there, take her home and pay lots of attention to her and give her a special treat.

I agree with the last person; keep a journal of any changes in her environment and her habits. Good Luck and God Bless! (11/18/2008)

By candleglows

Dog is Licking It's Hair Off

The same thing happened with my sister's dog and the vet checked his blood and found he had hypothyroidism. Soon after he started taking thyroid medication, the hair quit falling out and he stopped scratching. (11/18/2008)

By pet lover

Dog Loosing Hair
Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 21, 2010
Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed
Dachshund Losing Hair
A cat wearing a cone on its head.
Keeping a Cat From Licking a Wound
dog licking a toy cat
Remedies for Dogs Obsessively Licking
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 8:07:24 AM on 10.0.0.221 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.