Linoleum Floor Stained By Foam Backed Rugs

I need to remove yellow stains from foam backed rugs on vinyl flooring. Help!

N.M.

I need to know the cheapest way to remove rug glue on my Linoleum. The Rug is so dirty and I cant stand the filth in my kitchen. Does anyone know how to remove it?

Try scrubbing it off with baking soda and if that don't work, mix some ammonia with water and scrub it with that. Keep the area ventilated when using ammonia.

I have a different problem than the mats turing my flooring yellow. I am renting an apartment right now and after a year of being in here there are yellow stains along the outsides of the flooring in the bathroom. This is next to the tub and along the wall. The caulk is coming up from the baseboards too. I don't know if I should tell the management about this situation or just try to clean it up myself. The magic eraser didn't work, bleach hasn't worked and there is no access to any sunlight in this bathroom. HELP...

Someone mentioned in taking hair dye stains out of linoleum to use peroxide cream covered by plastic wrap overnight? It may work?

August 15, 2008 Flag

Again, when we bought our home we didn't notice it right away before until it was too late. They had put foamed backed rugs on the linoleum floor which turn the areas a orangish yellow color. Is there anyway to remove these stains? We tried everything we could think of. Please, if anyone can help let me know. The kitchen and dining area is all linoleum. I can't afford to replace it all right now. So, am hoping someone has an idea. Thanks to all!

LilHoneyBrat from MN

Answers:

No. Unfortunately, a reaction has occurred between the floor and the rugs. It is typically worse where a throw rug has been placed on a floor and sunlight hits the rug. The heat intensifies the reaction and you can have brown dappling!

Continue to cover the affected areas or learn to live with it or use floor tiles if the area allows for it.

Some words from Armstrong Flooring:
"Place a walk-off mat at outside entrances to reduce the amount of dirt brought into your home. We do not recommend the use of rubber or latex-backed mats because the chemical (antioxidant) used to keep the backing from becoming brittle can permanently stain your floor. We suggest a nonstaining vinyl-backed mat or a woven rug that is colorfast. Most of these products are identified "colorfast" by the manufacturer. All Armstrong floor care products have been specifically developed to care for Armstrong floors. You may purchase Armstrong floor care products at your local flooring retailer."

(01/12/2005)

By beanygurl

This is not a solution, but I had this problem and over time the yellow has disappeared. I started using a different type of rug of course. Other than that I just mop the floor as usual and sometimes clean extra dirty areas with Softscrub or baking soda. The Softscrub would probably ruin your finish - I didn't care. I don't know what got rid of it, but it is gone over time. (01/12/2005)

By Ann4

Nothing you can do now. It's stained, however, you can paint it! I did and it turned out beautiful. Go to Home Depot, get a primer, latex paint any polyeurthene. It will do the job. You can stencil the floor, or stamp it prior to putting on the polyeurthene for extra decoration.

Good Luck. (01/12/2005)

By Sheryl

I'd never thought of painting linoleum but it sounds like an interesting idea. Before doing something that drastic though, try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They are cheap and it's definitely worth a try. I've removed stains from things that nothing else has removed.

Susan from ThriftyFun (01/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

I tried Mr. clean eraser. It does NOT work for cleaning up the yellow stains from the rubber back rugs. Any other suggestions or is it stained forever? (11/17/2005)

By Rhonda

A rug sitting on a vinyl floor.
Removing Rubber Backed Rugs Stains on a Vinyl Floor
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsAugust 15, 2008
Stamps and Colored Ink
Cleaning Foam Stamps
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Cleaning Discolored Linoleum
🎉
🎄