Removing Labels the Thrifty Way

I do not remember where I learned this, but I am so glad I did. This tip has always worked for me. The easiest way to remove labels and sticker residue from glass jars is as follows:

1. Peel the label. (Soaking in hot water helps.)
  2. Rub any sticky areas with peanut butter.
  3. Rinse and enjoy, knowing that no chemicals were needed!

Not only did you avoid spending money on some sort of cleaner, you also got to play with your food!

By Anip from Social Circle, GA

Have tried a number of the other ways posted in the past. Soaking in hot water works in getting the label off, the peanut butter worked terrific getting the residual glue off.

Tried the peanut butter it did not work for me tried Olive oil and baking soda, did not work. I'm going to try boiling water in the microwave see if that works

I was skeptical that this was a joke and the tipster was enjoying a private laugh thinking of bozos smearing peanut butter. But it does work! I got the label off by soaking and was scraping the gooey residue off with a knife, which didn't work of course. You don't have to use a lot of peanut butter.

Crunchy peanut butter worked for me. Thanks for the tip. Previously I'd tried soaking in hot soapy water, rubbing with vinegar and with nail polish remover, to no avail.

Used the peanut butter, it was a joke, did not work for me!

Peanut butter took the gummy glue from the label right off! Works GREAT, thanks so much for a fantastic tip! 

The peanut butter worked like a charm P.S. I used it on a Jelly Jar :D peanut butter and jelly anyone?

This is awesome thank you so much for making a large job easy

Thank you. Peanut butter did the trick.

Thank you so very much! After spending ages soaking in hot water, hacking with a knife, scrubbing with wire wool and rubbing with a pan scrub I finally googled it and your solution worked so easily and in just seconds! Again, thank you so much.

Brilliant! It works ...thanks

Tried it in lack of better options.

Worked like a charm.

Mine could barely be described as "peanut butter" as it only contained 2% peanuts. More like a chocolate butter/paste.

Tried it in lack of better options.

Worked like a charm.

The "peanut butter" I used, could barely be described as "peanut butter" as it only contained 2% peanuts.

More like a chocolate butter/paste.

Still, it worked like a charm.

OMG, I don't know where you learned this, but I'm glad you did!! Works so well, and fast. Thanks!

I thought this was a joke too - I had tried soaking an old vegemite jar after putting it thru the dishwasher, rubbing with eucalyptus oil and even nail polish remover. I got out the pb jar (laughing the whole time) and worked it over all the glue residue. Took a bit of rubbing (nuts helped!) but it worked. I'm amazed - and still laughing!

Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Love peanut butter and playing with It was fun and did the trick.

I wouldn't have believed this until I actually tried it myself...ah all those times I have ended up throwing the dam glass bottle in the bin!!...thanks a million..

I don't know why I never thought of this! My mom used peanut butter to get gum out of my hair when I was a kid. Will have to try it!

Spaghetti Sauce Jar with Torn Label
Removing Labels from Glass Jars
Home and Garden Cleaning GlassApril 18, 2012
Finding Free Address Labels
Finding Free Address Labels
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 10:36:55 PM on 10.0.0.119 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.