Baking for the Troops

This is the first time that I have some free time on my hands, and I thought that I'd make some care packages to send to friends of my son who are in the service. I remember seeing posts in the past about what to send, but cannot find them at this time.

I would be grateful if anyone could (1) guide my to the past posts, and (2) give me some recipes for cookie/cakes I can make and send that will withstand the shipping and the HEAT. The last time one friend e-mailed my son, he said that their thermometer capped out at 140 degrees, and it had already hit that mark, so they had no idea how hot it really was. (They are in Kuwait waiting to be shipped out.)

Any sites with info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance--both from me and the servicemen.

Susan from AR

I think these are the posts you are looking for:

Desert-Safe Treat Recipes For Troops Overseas

These treats were put out by Nestle about a year ago and have been tested in their kitchen and do meet the required Middle East guidelines as well as the U. S. postal guidelines.

By imaqt1962

<http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf682729.tip.html>

Tips for Shipping Baked Goods Overseas

No butter, margarine, peanut butter or nuts should be used. These fats go rancid too fast in high heat. Butter flavored shortening however can be used.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf682352.tip.html

My favorite website is http://www.anysoldier.com. There are many things our troops need. You can read letters, lists and suggestions from a huge list of names and service branches. At one point they were saying that they could not accept any homebaked treats.....only commercially packaged....for safety reasons. I don't know if they are still enforcing this or not. I'd check first before I put a lot of time and effort into baking treats that might not make it to the intended recipients! We have some care packages almost ready to ship out too. They appreciate cards and letters too. Some of the men and women don't get much support mail from their families and a friendly letter makes their day! Do check out this website and see if you can cheer up a soldier with a card or package!

I was looking to see if this had been posted or not, but a great candy bar to send over to our troops would be Hershey's Zero candy bar. These are considered to be 'the construction worker's candy bar'. They don't melt in the heat, & can even withstand sitting on your vehicle's dashboard till you get off from work & not melt. Hope this helps out somebody's sweet tooth. They make the regular sizes & king sizes. I find them at Walmart Superstore, near the checkout.

Also, I talked to a gal whose hubby was stationed over in Iraq. Her grandmother baked and wanted to send him a loaf of her banana bread. Against her better judgment, she did and by the time he got it, it was all moldy. After cutting away all the mold, he was only able to eat about a 1 inch square out of the middle, but he sent word to her/them, that "it was so good & was great to finally taste some home cooking!" Said his only regret is that Granny didn't send 2 or 3 loaves. So he'd have had more 1" squares to eat. So consider anything moist will not travel well overseas.

go to www.verybestbaking.com and click on receipes. they have a search that has a military care package listing and lists a few different nestle receipes for the troops.

Thank You! I appreciate everyone's help more than you can imagine. I have one more question--What is the best and cheapest way to send the packages?

sending packages can get expensive but the govt. is now giving military families and friends a break. The PO now has FLAT RATE boxes for APO/FPO use. No matter what it weighs it goes for the flat rate plus you get a $2 discount for the APO/FPO address. I sent 23 lbs of baked goods for only $10.95. Vacuum pack the baked goods (Food Saver), air is as much the enemy as heat.

Care Packages for Troops
Sending Care Packages to Troops
Better Living CharityOctober 17, 2005
Clipping Coupons for Troops
Coupons for Troops
Baking Ingredients
Substitution for Cream of Tartar When Baking
Substitution for Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
Sending Donations to Troops
Sending Donations to Troops
🎉
🎄