DogsPets

Making a Dog Bed Using Cedar Chips

Category Dogs

Are cedar chips OK for dog bedding? I've heard that they cause blindness. Is that true? Can I use the chips loose instead of in a pillow base? My dog seems to chew everything up (foam, etc). Is there a special material to use that I can sew myself? Please help. Thanks.

T

By T from San Antonio, TX

Cedar chips are fine to use for a dog bed! Just make a removable washable cover and you will be fine.

Anonymous

Cedar chips can be irritating to any animal and cause headaches. You should never use for small animal bedding as their urine combined with shavings forms a noxious gas. Try using essential oils on a pet bed.

I have read that the oils in cedar can make dogs sick if they eat them. Personally, when my wife used to use it with hamsters and gerbils, I would get reactions to the oils and some of the small animals would get read eyes. Maybe we were allergic but is it worth the chance.

You should try to find why your dog is chewing things up and correct that, then you could use standard products.

Cedar chips are not good for small hamsters I do know as it can cause respiratory problems. There's an unscented wood chip that's much safer to use for a bed filler. I would use that before using the scented cedar wood chips.

If the dog has a lot of toys to play with and interaction with another pet and its owners, you would probably see less destruction of bedding as the dog's interests would be diverted elsewhere instead of the bedding as its focal point. If you think about a dog bed size as the same as your dog, it may be the dog's way of physically challenging the bed in play as he would in playing with another dog. I think the dog needs a companion to play with.

Cedar chips can be harmful to pets; it is irritating to their eyes and the fumes can damage their respiratory systems.