Using Banana Peels When Growing Roses

Bananas for a good source of potassium for us and for our roses. This is a guide about using banana peels when growing roses.

July 16, 2010 Flag

Give your rose bushes your used tea bags and banana peels. They will love you for it. Also hydrangeas will love your water from when you boil potatoes. You can also use the potato peels at the bottom of your plants.

By tennis4two from Madison, IN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

May 4, 2011 Flag

Throw your banana peels under your roses to produce bigger roses and more blooms. Just move away a little of the soil or compost, lay them down, then cover it up. The roses love the potassium. Also my roses have never had black spot.

Source: Farmers Almanac

By laidback racing from Charleston, SC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

April 26, 2011 Flag

When transplanting rose bushes, chop banana peels (I use a blender) and place around the roots of the roses before covering the roots with soil, then water.

By sweetsoo from Hamilton, ON

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 16, 2010 Flag

For beautiful roses, I emulsify old bananas and peels in my blender with water. I pour this on the base of the rose bush. You will not believe how well this works.

By Laurie from St. Charles, MO

Answers:

Banana Peels for Roses

What a wonderful use for otherwise useless banana peels! I sure am going to try that on my roses which, by the way, have been absolutely gorgeous this year. Have a lovely day and God bless you. (05/09/2009)

By tedsmom

Banana Peels for Roses

I have done this for years and you are right, it works best if you blend them with some water, then you don't have to bother digging a hole. Might be better to move the mulch back a little and then recover the banana peels. (05/20/2010)

By Laniegirl

Banana Peels for Roses

I dry my banana peels and crumble them up and scatter them; sometimes I just throw the peels on the ground in back of the roses. Our local Garden Guy gardens organically and I use a lot of his formulas, such as Epsom salts in water for the magnesium. I just sprinkle a little ES around and water it in, great for blooming plants. (05/20/2010)

By desertgal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 22, 2010 Flag

Larger Rose Blooms With Banana Peels

I have roses growing on my back fence. Year before last my flowers were nice but small. Last year I remembered my grandmother adding banana peels in the dirt around her flowers. So early in the spring, I dug a trench around my bushes and buried banana peels about 6 to 8 inches from the plants. My flowers were much larger than before, and bloomed for a longer period.

By Sharon from Van Buren, AR

Answers:

Gardening: Grow Larger Rose Blooms With Banana Peels

I just had to comment on this - in the movie, "Seven Pounds" w/Will Smith, he told the lady in the movie to do this very thing! Of course in the movie it worked (LOL!), but to hear it in 'real life' is pretty coincidental! Your roses look great - wonder does that work with the planting of all flowers (?) I'm a huge geranium fan, plant them every year and wonder would it have the same effect? (02/17/2009)

By nardog

They are gorgeous and yes it does work! I go to the local market and buy bananas off of their sale table. I cut up the entire banana and put it in the dirt around my roses a couple of times a year. If you have old bananas you can freeze them until it is time to do the gardening, then just thaw them out and cut them up and dig them into the dirt. (02/17/2009)

By florida gal

I tried this along with egg shells, coffee grounds and left over coffee, also banana peels. I put it all on my hollyhocks. Oh my, they grew taller than my house and the flowers were huge! You must try it for yourself. You can mix it all together and spread on any plants you like. Let us know how it works for you. (02/17/2009)

By scarlettr

Besides the added minerals, the organic material helps amend the soil. Bananas are known to attract earthworms, which aerate the soil and add castings to it. (02/18/2009)

By susanmajp

Roses apparently need potassium, which bananas are a good source of. (02/21/2009)

By louel53

Well, bananas, like other vegetation turn into compose. Any plant life would do the same as the bananas. One could start a compost pile and use the compost for any plant they are growing. (02/11/2010)

By foxrun41

I think these tips are really good. I will definitely try some and let you know how they go. (02/11/2010)

By irisheyes

I love this. It's nice and easy. I'm going to have to give it a try. (02/11/2010)

By jtithof

Love it. Will try it in the spring. (02/11/2010)

By Allison5

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2009 Flag

This is an old trick, but maybe someone hasn't heard about it yet. I save my banana peel after eating the banana and gently dig out an opening around my roses and place the banana peel, spread out with the inside of the peel facing the ground and cover. It adds potassium to the soil. My roses love it!

Thank you.

By Mary

Answers:

Freeze Banana Peels for Roses

I save my banana peels, (or yuckie bananas ) and freeze them, when I plant a new rose bush, I plant the banana peels with it. Roses love banana peels.

By rosa (07/13/2004)

Feed Your Plants Banana Peels

When you eat bananas, don't throw away the peels. Cut them in pieces or strips, or use the whole peel. Poke a hole in soil at edge of plant. Put in a piece or two and firm down the soil. Sit back and in a while, you will notice how much different your plants look.

By Gladys
(10/28/2004)

Grind Up Bananas For Your Roses

Take banana peels and put them around your rose bushes. The aphids will be gone. I take my banana peels, add water, and grind them up in the blender then pour the mixture around the roses. It works like magic.

By anniebug (11/11/2004)

Banana Peels for Roses

HeritageRose.jpg

If you are a gardener, and grow roses, don't throw your banana skins in the compost pile or garbage can.

Instead, bury them just below the surface of the ground at the base of your roses.

Roses utilize potassium very well and banana skins have a lot of potassium in them.

Your roses will love you for it.

Happy gardening!

By Sandra (05/06/2005)

Planting Roses Tip

When planting roses, drop a banana peel in the hole first. Save all banana peels and freeze them. Several times a year, chop up a few frozen peels, put in a blender with some water, and then feed all your roses with the concoction. They love it.

By Norma (05/09/2005)

Banana Peels for Roses

Just wanted to let you know I think your roses are beautiful. (05/24/2005)

By Twila

Banana Peels for Roses

Thank you for this wonderful tip, I had never heard of this. From now on, I will treat my roses with banana peels. The picture of your roses is beautiful. (06/11/2005)

By Barbara

Banana Peels for Roses

Thank you! My mom's friend told her to do that yesterday so I looked it up to see if it was true (08/04/2005)

By Mia

For Anyone Who Loves Roses

Don't ever throw your banana peels away, save them to put them in your garden.

We do! My wife loves her rose bushes. Take the peels and bury them skin side up around your rose bush, not too deep but deep enough so the small animals don't dig them up. You may have to do this more than once, but the more the better. You will see a big difference in your bushes.

I know the season may be over for some but keep it in mind for next year.

By Charlie (08/22/2005)

Banana Peels for Roses

I had heard this before but never tried it. This year we have been getting an abundant supply of bananas that are often too ripe to use (they're free) and I just place them around the roses. It is unbelievable how much they have improved this summer.

The bushes had only a leaf here and there and only one or two stems. Now they are are putting on new growth and and leaves. The few blooms I have had so far this year have been beautiful. I did buy a bale of hay to cover the bananas rather than dig them in. (08/22/2005)

By JAN in NC

Banana Peels for Roses

Wow, how beautiful. I wonder if it would help ordinary house plants. What do you think? (08/24/2005)

By nmcl

Banana Peels for Roses

My family has actually been using this trick for generations and my grandmother's roses are the most beautiful roses I have ever seen
(09/25/2005)

By anonymouse

Banana Peels for Roses

The smell also deters aphids. (09/28/2008)

By Jesuslover

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening RosesMay 27, 2016
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
A rose bush growing in a yard.
Growing Roses
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Banana Peel
Uses for Banana Peels
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 4:35:29 PM on 10.0.0.148 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.