Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

3 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Picture of crayon stains on a dryer door.

There is nothing worse than opening up your dryer and seeing crayon stains all over your clothes. Cleaning the stains off the clothes is only half the battle, cleaning the crayon out of the dryer can be daunting as well. This is a guide about cleaning crayon out of your dryer.

Solutions: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

We have now joined the ranks of people with the dreaded problem of removing melted crayon from the clothes dryer. After my brief crying spell, we were able to devise a removal plan based on other people's suggestions on ThriftyFun.

Here are the steps we used to remove the crayon:

• Run the dryer for 15 minutes to heat up the crayon.

• Sprinkle Comet on a wet sponge and gently rub the crayon spots. (Rubbing to hard will damage the enamel coating!)

• A toothbrush dipping into a comet and water paste worked well for the cracks and crevices. (It is important to clean the crevices so that crayon wax doesn't seep out when running future loads of laundry!)

• Once you have removed the crayon with the Comet use a damp rag to wipe out the Comet and crayon residue.

• If there is still crayon left after doing this, run the dryer again for 15 minutes and repeat the above cleaning process until all the wax has been removed...DO NOT run the dryer with any cleaner still inside!

• Finally, to "test" whether it is completely clean, run a few clean white rags through a drying cycle and inspect them for crayon marks! If there aren't any you loads of good clothes should be safe!

I have included some before and after pictures of my dryer...to give you the hope and encouragement you might need to tackle your disaster! Good Luck!

Laurel and Lewis from Port Orchard

Tip: Cleaning Crayon with WD-40

Crayons can leave a very hard thing to clean up, unless, you have WD-40 on hand. All you have to do is spray a little on and it melts the crayon so all you have to do is wipe off! It also works well on your childs artwork on walls or anything eles.
I was a daycare provider many years ago and found this is the best for crayon removal. Then just use a good cleaner like 409 or windex to cut the oils from the WD40, Super easy and no scrubbing!

By Teresa from Lynnwood, WA

Tip: Cleaning Crayon From A Dryer Drum

Soft Scrub works well. Just a bit on a sponge scrubs it off easily. Rinse and sponge periodically and reapply more soft scrub until initial coat is up. Follow with a rinsed slightly damp sponge to make it easy to wipe up remaining film with an old towel.

Source: Other tips from website led me to understand that a grainy cleaner works best, and it did.

By Mack Daddy from Gainesville, VA

Tip: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

Okay I've just experienced the crayon in the dryer and tried a few of the ones mentioned, but I remembered we just brought a product called Spray Nine. It is for cleaning marina items (environmentally friendly) and does a great job. Well, it did one heck of job cleaning the inside of dryer without having to worry about the enamel being ruined or anything else. Terrific :) Remove all the crayon and even marks that were there from something else.

By Geri from Jax Beach, FL

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer.

Question: Crayons in the Dryer

How do you remove crayon from clothes and the inside of a dryer?

By Mother of 9 from Pensacola, FL

Most Recent Answer

By LA [1]10/17/2010

Try a magic eraser.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

What do you do for the dryer itself which has the crayon melted inside somewhere, ready to destroy another load of laundry?

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I opened the dryer to find an entire load was washed with guess what, crayons in a pocket! So far, I have not had any luck getting the crayons off the clothes or the dryer drum.

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I dried an orange crayon in the dryer and ruined some clothes. any ideas on how to get the stains out? Hannah from Burlington, WV

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Soak clothes in washing machine with 3-4 scoops of oxyclean powder for about 1-2 hours. Then wash as usual and repeat if necessary. It took we two times soaking and washing the clothes and every single red crayon mark came out. Good luck! (06/26/2007)

By Jen

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Thank you to the person who recommended Canola Oil. It thinned out the crayon really quickly and made it easy to wipe it off. I followed up with Oxyclean foam, which took the red stains out. The whole process only took 15-20 minutes. What a relief! (07/09/2007)

By R Wantz

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

My 2 year old had a blue crayon in his pocket... which left crayon streaked all over the inside of my dryer... Heat the dryer for a few minutes, spray the dryer with WD-40 and scrub with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.... Then just wipe with a damp cloth... It works great. (07/31/2007)

By Lindsey S

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

How do I get the crayon marks out of my dryer drum?

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

A whole bunch of crayons melted in my HE Dryer. I tried the soft scrubber Magic Eraser, and it's not working. Also, it melted on my son's jackets

Archive: Cleaning Crayon from the Dryer Drum

To remove crayon from the dryer drum I used denatured alcohol on an old towel. While the fumes are indeed poisonous, and flammable they evaporate quickly.

By Harry

RE: Cleaning Crayon from the Dryer Drum

Have you tried spraying WD-40 and wiping clear. Then I would use a wet cloth of soap and water to wipe the residue from the dryer AND LET THE DRYER DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE TURNING ON THE HEAT AND USING THE DRYER. (01/02/2007)

By Sheila B

RE: Cleaning Crayon from the Dryer Drum

i tried rubbing alcohol and it didn't do a thing. I'm afraid to use the WD40 because I don't want all my clothes to smell like that from now on. Is there anything else that works? (07/15/2007)

By DayFromHell

Archive: Cleaning Crayon or Ink from a Dryer Drum

Tip for taking dried crayon or ink out of a washing machine or drier. I have experienced both and rubbing compound worked both times. The ink was quite a bit of work, but it came completely out. I used 3M rubbing compound for light oxidation. It will remove the crayon or ink without harming the appliance finish at all. Just apply as described on the bottle. It can be found in car care area of WalMart.

By Silverado6902 from Stedman, NC

Archive: Crayons in the Dryer

We have dried a crayon in the dryer and are at our wits end trying to get it all out of the dryer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Laundry is piling up.

Momholla

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

Try WD 40, I was browsing the website the other day and they have a list of 2000 uses for this stuff and I remember seeing this. This stuff is really pretty amazing. Check it out wd40.com (06/30/2004)

By Ginger

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

Thank you to all for the great suggestions. I had red crayon all over the inside of my dryer. Being 8 1/2 months pregnant, I didn't want use WD40 in my dryer or on my clothes. I ran my dryer on high for about 5 minutes and used Aquafresh Extreme Whitening toothpaste and a soft (gentle) scrub sponge; it worked with almost no effort. Good luck. (11/29/2006)

By Jessica

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

Just had this happen to me. I came and viewed all the suggestions and was going to try the toothpaste one when I remembered having Krud Kutter in my house. I sprayed it on and let it sit for a minute or two it wiped right off without any trouble. My husband and I looked the bottle over thoroughly and did not see flammable, or any ingredients that are flammable, listed. This also works on counter tops, range hoods, etc. to get that greasy/tacky feeling off. Great stuff. (03/16/2008)

By Hannel98

Archive: Crayons in the Dryer

My daughter left crayons in her coat pockets and it was run through the dryer. Needless to say, it made a horrible mess inside the dryer, but also in two new winter coats.