Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

There is nothing worse than opening up your dryer and seeing crayon stains all over your clothes. Cleaning the stains off the clothes is only half the battle, cleaning the crayon out of the dryer can be daunting as well. This is a guide about cleaning crayon out of your dryer.

Picture of crayon stains on a dryer door.
Filter Sort

Tip: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

By Amanda 1

Okay I've just experienced the crayon in the dryer and tried a few of the ones mentioned, but I remembered we just brought a product called Spray Nine. It is for cleaning marina items (environmentally friendly) and does a great job. Well, it did one heck of job cleaning the inside of dryer without having to worry about the enamel being ruined or anything else. Terrific :) Remove all the crayon and even marks that were there from something else.

By Geri from Jax Beach, FL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

We have now joined the ranks of people with the dreaded problem of removing melted crayon from the clothes dryer. After my brief crying spell, we were able to devise a removal plan based on other people's suggestions on ThriftyFun.

Here are the steps we used to remove the crayon:

• Run the dryer for 15 minutes to heat up the crayon.

• Sprinkle Comet on a wet sponge and gently rub the crayon spots. (Rubbing to hard will damage the enamel coating!)

• A toothbrush dipping into a comet and water paste worked well for the cracks and crevices. (It is important to clean the crevices so that crayon wax doesn't seep out when running future loads of laundry!)

• Once you have removed the crayon with the Comet use a damp rag to wipe out the Comet and crayon residue.

• If there is still crayon left after doing this, run the dryer again for 15 minutes and repeat the above cleaning process until all the wax has been removed...DO NOT run the dryer with any cleaner still inside!

• Finally, to "test" whether it is completely clean, run a few clean white rags through a drying cycle and inspect them for crayon marks! If there aren't any you loads of good clothes should be safe!

I have included some before and after pictures of my dryer...to give you the hope and encouragement you might need to tackle your disaster! Good Luck!

Laurel and Lewis from Port Orchard

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cleaning Crayon with WD-40

By teresa 6 26

Crayons can leave a very hard thing to clean up, unless, you have WD-40 on hand. All you have to do is spray a little on and it melts the crayon so all you have to do is wipe off! It also works well on your childs artwork on walls or anything eles.
I was a daycare provider many years ago and found this is the best for crayon removal. Then just use a good cleaner like 409 or windex to cut the oils from the WD40, Super easy and no scrubbing!

By Teresa from Lynnwood, WA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Crayons in the Dryer

By Mother of 9 1

How do you remove crayon from clothes and the inside of a dryer?

By Mother of 9 from Pensacola, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By LA 1 4 Flag

Try a magic eraser.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cleaning Crayon From A Dryer Drum

Soft Scrub works well. Just a bit on a sponge scrubs it off easily. Rinse and sponge periodically and reapply more soft scrub until initial coat is up. Follow with a rinsed slightly damp sponge to make it easy to wipe up remaining film with an old towel.

Source: Other tips from website led me to understand that a grainy cleaner works best, and it did.

By Mack Daddy from Gainesville, VA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

What do you do for the dryer itself which has the crayon melted inside somewhere, ready to destroy another load of laundry?

Ben

Answers:
-- 06/01/2004
leave dryer to cool down, place ice cube or bag of frozen peas over crayon leave it to harden again then scrape off or run machine a few times with an old cloth in it till all the crayon marks stop appearing.
By carol (Guest Post)
-- 06/02/2004
Use an old rag sprayed with WD 40 and wipe it off.
By Mnchyld95
-- 06/03/2004
I had this happen years ago - on my best washable work clothes - devastating! I tried many many things to no avail. Then I happened to try turpentine - cheap, worked like a charm in dryer AND on the clothes! Just carefully clean it out of everything when you are done. It was a lifesaver for me. Try it and let us know.
By Carolyn (Guest Post)
-- 02/08/2005
I too washed a load of my sons clothes and threw them in the dryer not knowing there was black and red crayons in one of his pockets. I had both colours dried on all his clothes and my new dryer was now a nice black and red swear colour. I used oxyclean and soaked them all in hot water for several hours (did it twice) and 95% of the mess came out of the clothes. Pretty good considering I was going to toss them all. As for the dryer, I used some oxyclean and hot water and the eraser and the majority of it came out. Lesson learned: check all pockets next time!
Mckenzie
By Thrifty_Fun
-- 02/12/2005
Tried the Wd-40, running the dryer with a cloth, and oxiclean. Too much work! I then used toothpaste (plain Colgate) on an old rag and I was done in 5 minutes! Wish I had known of that first. Would have saved a lot of frustration!
By laura (Guest Post)
-- 04/13/2005
I tried all suggestions except for the turpintine. I found applying Carbona Stain Devils Ink and Crayon remover applied directly on a dry rag worked the best. Then wipe inside of dryer clean with a wet rag before using. The Colgate toothpaste also worked but not as well.
By Mrs. Clean
-- 05/22/2005
I'm just happy to see that I'm not the only one that this has happened to. For me, the color was blue and now the inside of my brand new dryer, less than 4 months old is now a very pretty shade of light blue. It's not in one little spot where ice can freeze it and it be scraped, that would be sooo nice. Nope not mine, it's (b)EVERYWHERE(/b).
By Sandra N. (Guest Post)
-- 06/20/2005
Plain white colgate is the shiznit! Way easier than WD40. Wipes up easy and leaves your clothes smelling minty fresh!
By samajm (Guest Post)
-- 07/05/2005
White toothpaste is awesome! Hidden in my load of wash was a bright blue crayon that colored not only the clothes but changed the dryer drum on my new dryer to a not so flattering shade of blue with little chucks everywhere.

First I warmed up the dryer to soften the crayon and used a stiff nail brush (tooth brushes are too soft), a cup of very hot water and scrubbed with the toothpaste and wiped with a hot damp rag.

Mopped up every bit of surface with a clean hot rag to remove all the tooth paste residue (cause it can become sticky!) and I sacrificed a cheap white kitchen towel (damp) for a few test runs incase I missed any spots! The holes to the lint trap is hard to clean and may have some tid bits of crayon.

Once again my dryer looks white and new thanks to the tooth paste and doesn't sound quite as dangerous as some of the (b)flammable(/b) suggestions made.(b)(/b)(b)(/b)(b)(/b)

By Michelle (Guest Post)
-- 10/23/2005
Simple and easy: Preheat the Dryer for 5 mn. Spray WD-40 deliberately, Scrub with Mr Clean "Magic erasers" (YOu should never be without. The crayon will dissapear like Magic!
By David (Guest Post)
-- 01/11/2006
This very thing happened to me today. My first thought was to check online. Then I remembered what has saved me from crayon in the past... Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It came right off, a bit of scrubbing with the thicker bits. Took about 3 minutes to remove the crayon damage. These things are worth keeping around if you have little ones. They get pen, pencil & crayon off of walls too. :)
By mrscmw5
-- 02/18/2006
My brilliant husband used a 3M scrubbing pad and scrubbed vigorously for 10 minutes and removed all purple crayon (thanks to my creative 4 year old son) as well as blue stain from laundry detergent. He washed with hot soapy water, dryed with old towels and saved us $400 (cost of new dryer). All done without using harsh, toxic chemicals.
By Hallie S (Guest Post)
-- 03/03/2006
We tried the other suggestions: WD-40, Goo gone, colgate toothpaste and the Magic Eraser. However, none were as effective or as fast as Bon Ami household cleaner. Just sprinkle a bit onto the drum and rub with a wet rag. Then vacuum out the crumbs and rinse with a clean wet rag.
By M & M (Guest Post)
-- 03/13/2006
I had this happen a few years ago, and now it has happened again. At least, I think it's crayon, but I can't really be sure as I can't find any piece of it. Now my dryer is streaked. Last time, my husband used gasoline, which I wasn't crazy about. Since he's not home, I definitely won't be trying that. I'll have to try the Colgate.

Also, to get it out of the clothes last time, I used baking soda. I have to try it again since now I have a load that included my favorite jeans with black spots all over them. That worked on probably 90-95% of the clothes. Certain fabrics just won't release the crayon.

By Christine (Guest Post)

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I opened the dryer to find an entire load was washed with guess what, crayons in a pocket! So far, I have not had any luck getting the crayons off the clothes or the dryer drum. Lots of things work to get the blue and yellow off the dryer drum, but not the red. I've tried WD-40, toothpaste, a citrus solvent, Soft Scrub, a degreaser and nothing works. On the clothes, I've rewashed the clothes twice with detergent and Oxy-Clean in hot water and now I'm trying it again with baking soda and vinegar. Can anyone help?

Marla from Rocklin, CA

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

For cleaning black crayon marks that covered the entire inside of our dryer we found the combination of Colgate toothpaste (white paste type) AND Oxy spray cleaner for bathrooms (yes we stumbled on the combo) finally worked. We rubbed the toothpaste all over the inside, waited about 10 minutes, then sprayed the Oxy cleaner on top of that. We waited about another 30 minutes, With lots of rubbing the marks finally started to come out. We wiped the whole dryer clean with cool water. It took a long time and lots of elbow grease but it worked! (08/05/2006)

By Pat

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I don't understand how I've gotten this far without having this problem before (5 kids, all teens). Anyway, ceramic/glass cooktop cleaner works like a charm on the dryer. Same idea as the slightly abrasive toothpaste. (08/15/2006)

By Zack

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

This weekend I opened up my brand new dryer and found it covered with green crayon. I thought I would have to get a new one. The repair man cleaned the blades for free. I went to the Internet and found one website that suggest WD-40. It did not work. Then I found this site. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser work wonders. Thank you. (08/25/2006)

By Danna

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I tried 100% acetone for cleaning crayon out of dryer. WORKS better than WD-40 and Mr Clean magic eraser. Just make sure you are in a well ventalated area, the smell is awful. (09/02/2006)

By fun1973

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I'll toss in my two cents. Running the dryer a little to warm the crayon seemed to help a bit. The Colgate worked great once I switched from a toothbrush to a scrubby sponge. It still required a lot of elbow grease, though. (09/11/2006)

By NoJoy

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

You shouldn't use GooGone or Gasoline or anything flammable! The dryer itself has a warning to NEVER dry anything with anything flammable as an explosion might occur. GooGone has a warning to never use near heat. (10/19/2006)

By Monica

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I used Colgate Luminous toothpaste and it took the black crayon residue right off that the magic eraser couldnt get off. Dryer is just like it didnt happen. I washed the pants that had the black crayon on it in HOT water and it took 100% of the crayon out of the jeans and maybe 50% of it out of my favorite work out pants but its ok they are only my gym pants right. I am just so happy it didnt happen to the light, white, or bright loads. Good luck everyone toothpaste who knew! (10/23/2006)

By Shannon

Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I just learned that my 18 mo old daughter puts crayons in the legs of her pjs. I had a purple dryer! I used Comet, hot water, and a scrubber sponge. I was afraid I'd end up scrubing for hours. But everything came off in about 10 minutes with very little effort! It looks like new! Hope it works as well for you! (11/04/2006)

By Beth

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

My daughter asked me to 'throw her shirt' into the dryer, she works part time at a restaurant, and I didn't notice the blue crayon in her pocket. Needless to say... big mess in the dryer. Tried the toothpaste with a teflon scubber, and it worked great. (11/25/2006)

By Dennis

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

When my daughter left a blue crayon in her pocket, I spoke to someone who told me to use WD-40 before washing the clothes a second time. Spray the WD-40 on the clothes and work it in with a little detergent using a toothbrush. Then you may have to wash the clothes a couple of times to get the WD-40 out. (11/25/2006)

By Mel

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I could not believe that I googled "clean crayon out of dryer" and this page came up as the first hit. I thought I was done (clothes and dryer). I read through the posts and tried what I had. Magic Eraser and Toothpaste had NO impact at all. Thanks to the person who said ceramic cooktop clenser. I had Bar Keeper's Friend clenser. It worked perfectly!!
Thanks. (11/29/2006)

By Tracey

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

As a career Firefighter, I certainly hope none of you have truly put WD-40, Goo Gone, or Goof Off in your dryers. If I were a dryer salesman, then yeah go ahead. Anyway, I used Ace Hardware Floor Stripper on my crayon incident (green, and by the way, and it was in MY pocket) wiped of in less than 5 minutes...And I DID try WD-40, Goo Gone, Goof Off, toothpaste, stove strubber stuff, eraser pads. Yeah I know, do as I say, not as I do, why do you think FFs get burned at home! (12/28/2006)

By Tim

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I tried the magic eraser first, did not work. switched to white ultra brite toothpaste from the dollar store and it worked great! I followed up with some oxiclean to clean off the toothpaste. (01/27/2007)

By trisha

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Everyone please don't use any chemicals that are flammable or explosive in a dryer. Even if you wash the drum out, there could still be residue. I don't want anyone getting hurt or dying because of a crayon. I did use the toothpaste on a sponge and IT WORKS! The mint fumes did burn my eyes a little though. (02/11/2007)

By paulkellar

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

This just happened to me i'm still trying to get it out of the clothes, my dryer was orange, I found the Mr. Clean magic eraser worked wonders on the dryer too bad it didn't work on the clothes, just follow the directions on the box and wipe it out you really don't even have to apply pressure (02/22/2007)

By Kris

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

On the dryer we used canola oil on the crayon smears to thin them out and then cleaned it all off with Fantastik original spray cleaner. It's cleaner now than before. (02/28/2007)

By Anne

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I open up my brand new "white" dryer to find purple crayon on all my light colored clothes & all over the inside of my dryer. I used Bar Keepers Friend on it with a damp cloth and it came out the dyer insantly. I hope that I can it comes out of the clothes now. "I am so glad that I am not the only one this has ever happened to." (03/10/2007)

By Tara

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

My 6 yr. old son left a red crayon in his pants and they were dried. My dryer was dark red. I tried everything listed and the magic eraser worked pretty good, but Momet with bleach worked the greatest along with some scrubbing. My dryer is now red crayon FREE! (04/10/2007)

By Stephanie

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Misery loves company and we just joined the party today. We were able to catch the culprit because 1/2 the crayon was still in the pocket. Thanks for all the advice this is what we did: Simple Green (undiluted) with the Mr Clean eraser took the black crayon right out of our white dryer with very little elbow grease. Note our drum has a textured surface. The door with the smooth finish was very easy to clean. We also ran a load of work cloths through before any good went back in. And my white work shirts will be hung dry for a long time. For the cloths we used Simple Green (undiluted) with a toothbrush to scrub it out. And while tedious we put on a movie and brushed the rest of the day away - Hoodwinked is a very funny movie if you have not seen it. (04/15/2007)

By Tom

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I just used Barkeepers Friend and a scrubby sponge. It was pretty quick and easy. I wiped it clean with a wet towel and put a test white tee shirt through the dryer. (05/06/2007)

By TB

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I dried an orange crayon in the dryer and ruined some clothes. any ideas on how to get the stains out?

Hannah from Burlington, WV

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Soak clothes in washing machine with 3-4 scoops of oxyclean powder for about 1-2 hours. Then wash as usual and repeat if necessary. It took we two times soaking and washing the clothes and every single red crayon mark came out. Good luck! (06/26/2007)

By Jen

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Thank you to the person who recommended Canola Oil. It thinned out the crayon really quickly and made it easy to wipe it off. I followed up with Oxyclean foam, which took the red stains out. The whole process only took 15-20 minutes. What a relief!
(07/09/2007)

By R Wantz

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

My 2 year old had a blue crayon in his pocket... which left crayon streaked all over the inside of my dryer... Heat the dryer for a few minutes, spray the dryer with WD-40 and scrub with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.... Then just wipe with a damp cloth... It works great. (07/31/2007)

By Lindsey S

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

How do I get the crayon marks out of my dryer drum?

Kris from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Wd40 works wonders. Unplug the dryer, and spray wd40 and wipe with a clean rag. (08/14/2007)

By duckie43

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Sure was glad to find this thread after my son had a POCKETFUL of crayons go through the dryer.

After reading the advive here, I decided to try my Dawn Power Scrubber spray. Sprayed it on, left it alone for about ten minutes, and most of the crayon residue (which was smeared all over the walls of my dryer) just wiped off. It was really easy. The only downside was that the dryer seemed pretty "gooey" with the Dawn Power Scrubber, so I threw in a wet towel and ran the dryer for about 10 minutes so it could twist around and wipe it clean. My next load was also towels, which I'll rewash if they smell too much like the Dawn. Next step is to try Oxyclean on the clothes.

Of course this would have to happen as I was just about the dry the last load before leaving on a trip tomorrow morning. Getting necessary stuff rewashed, plus the waiting load dried, is going to have me up into the wee hours. (08/31/2007)

By In The Same Boat

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Makes you wonder what the toothpaste is doing to our insides, if it is on a par with acetone on the abrasive front. The acetone worked on my red & blue crayon fiesta (killed my hubby's best shirt though). My advice is to do the back of the dryer first. You won't want to put your head in once the sides are done because the fumes are too strong. (09/12/2007)

By sarah

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I had a purple crayon go through my dryer. It was well distributed and I had no idea how to clean it. Thank God for this site! We found that toothpaste worked well. I used at least half a tube if not more. I found putting it on the scrubby pad first worked better than directly applying it to the dryer drum. I spent about half an hour to an hour scrubbing and applying toothpaste to the drum. If the crayon is a dark color and it is all over the drum it will take a few applications and a few scrubs but it did mainly come off. There are a couple patches on the collar and at the back that still have a slight pinkish color but I don't expect it to come off on any of my clothes since it didn't come off after multiple scrubbings. I'm still working on the clothes. (09/16/2007)

By Heather Stanton

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I just found this site after opening my dryer to find red crayon! Not sure if it came from my daughter or son, but at this point what does it matter. I read through the posts and tried the one that suggested Comet - since that was what I had. It worked well. I went back and misted the inside of the dryer with water and wiped it all down. I'm still going to run a test load with rags and old towels before putting my clothes back in it.

As for the clothes that were in the dryer with the crayon, I rewashed them right away with warm/cold water (I read once that hot water may cause the crayon to set it!) That seems to have worked for the most part. (09/28/2007)

By white_98c1

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Hi, Thank you for suggesting the Bar Keepers Friend. I just cleaned my dryer using this in only a few minutes. It took the black crayon out. I squirted the dryer and wiped it down.
Blessings, Terry (10/07/2007)

By Terry

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Two Words: Comet Cleanser -- (it worked great!) After using comet, I just wiped the inside of my dryer down with a few clorox wipes and my blue dryer is now shining white again. (11/21/2007)

By MJ

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

OMG this just happened to me today. I have 2 grown children, NEVER did I have this problem, well I can't say that any more. I now have 4 grandchildren who love to put crayons in their pockets! I am trying comet right now. SO far so good but there is a lot of crayon! So far 15 minutes into it. I think this will work, but boy, oh, boy will I ever be checking pockets from now on!! This is hard. SO SO glad I found this site! Thanks a million everyone! HAPPY HOLIDAYS! (12/03/2007)

By nina98168

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Just found fuschia crayon all over white load and in the dryer. Of course I didn't have any Comet. Tried a Brillo pad, scrubbed lightly and no more crayon. Just to be on the safe side, I ran a load of reds through to clean up the remainder. As for the white load, hot water and bleach took care of the mess. To bad about my son's gray gym shirt though. (12/16/2007)

By highjones6

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Run the dryer on hot to melt wax a bit. Then use a warm rag and baking soda. It got all my orange crayon out of my dryer. (12/21/2007)

By Kristi from NC

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

First I ran the dryer for 20 minutes on hot to warm up the dark orange crayon that completely covered the entire interior of my new HE5 dryer. Then, as suggested, I tried the toothpaste, then the Magic Eraser, but neither worked. However, the non-abrasive Comet with bleach (sold at Costco) worked wonders, with barely any elbow grease involved. There are some slight scratches on the surface of the drum, however, it's better than the orange crayon all over the clothing. (02/02/2008)

By Dustie

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

LOL! I joined the crayon in the dryer club! I am off to the store to buy Oxiclean and bar keeper's friend. We'll see how those and running a few loads of rag towels through the dryer works. (02/05/2008)

By cindy m

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I of my 4 daughters who LOVES to collect things had put a yellow and a red crayon in her coat pocket. When I took the coats out of the dryer...AWWWW, It was on everything. My husband had purchased Mean Green Super strength Cleaner Degreaser (spray)for another mess. I didn't want to scratch the dryer drum so I tried the Canola oil someone here had suggested with minimal success. Once I remembered the degresser and sprayed it on the inside of the dryer...WOW! 2 minute job, honest! Amazing stuff! (02/06/2008)

By Deborah

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

The issue of getting crayon out of my dryer was a trial and error sort of thing. I'm guessing that because different crayon manufacturers use different ingredients in their crayons, only certain cleaners will work on certain crayon types. I tried baking soda, GooGone, Comet, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, Canola Oil, etc...neither of which worked. I decided to use the Wal-Mart brand version of Orange Clean (perhaps the actual Orange Clean works too, but I didn't try it). I sprayed it on, and the crayon just ran off, no elbow grease required. As a note, please be extremely careful using anything that may be flammable in your dryer, and make sure you monitor it very closely when running it for the first few times after cleaning it, just in case. Good luck! (02/07/2008)

By Pamela Martin

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I just finished cleaning orange crayon out of my dryer with a dry paper towel. I didn't have a lot to clean up 'cause unfortunately most of it ended up on the clothes. I just put a dry paper towel over the end of my finger a rubbed/scraped it right off. Does anyone have advice on how to get crayon out of the clothes.

(02/07/2008)

By lisa

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

We used lacquer thinner and it just wiped the crayon right out in seconds. However you must let ALL the fumes from the thinner out or risk ignition of them in your dryer. this is done easily. just run your dryer with the door open ( hold the button ) ( or use a pen for older models ) for a few minutes and your good. febreeze a rag and run the dryer. Works the fastest yet. p.s. We have three kids.
(02/22/2008)

By jeff and rene

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I found orange crayon completely covering my dryer and all over a load of pink clothes. I started out with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (did not work at all) and then my mom suggested bleach so I did that with the scrubbing part of a dish sponge. It worked but the smell was horrible. Then I found this website and tried the degreaser. I happened to have BAM kitchen degreaser and it worked! Thank you! As for the pink clothes, I am washing them for the third time using a spray n wash for the crayon stain and I think it'll be completely out of the clothes this time (I have 2 girls and a boy). (03/07/2008)

By Breaz

How do you get crayon and ink out of clothes and off of walls???

I have a couple loads of clothes that have crayon all over them, and my two girls have decorated their bedroom walls with crayon and even some ink. What will take it out without damaging the walls and clothes? (03/11/2008)

By Amanda

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

My entire large dryer drum was one pink stain from a bright red crayon. (Luckily there wasn't much of the actual crayon waxy stuff.) I tried Goo Gone but it didn't work. Then I tried some Melaleuca Sol-U-Mel 3 in 1 Cleaner a friend gave me - it wiped right off. Thank you, Roseanne! (04/05/2008)

By Michelle B.

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I've become a fan of Mean Green. So far, everything I have tried it on has come out. I haven't had reason to use it on crayon, though. (04/05/2008)

By ksflwrpetals

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Thank you, thank you so much for the tip on Bar Keepers Friend. I had tried six or seven other things and it was the only thing that worked. It took two nights of scrubbing but every bit of crayon came out. I made a paste of the powder and rubbed it on with a cloth in small sections and this rinsed it of with a clean one. (04/10/2008)

By Monica

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Thanks for all of these ideas. I tried many without much success, so tried my original idea: steel wool very gently applied took out all of the crayon melted onto the dryer-- even let me get into the cracks and crevices. I then tried the wet towel idea, which got out the last few hiding chunks.

thanks!!
(04/17/2008)

By Jen in Boston

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser worked for me. My daughter left a black crayola crayon in her pocked, so I had black streaks throughout the dryer. I used the textured side of the Magic Eraser with a little Comet sprinkled on it. Then, I rinsed and wiped with the white side. All gone without using anything flammable. Hello! WD-40 and Goo Gone are flammable products and extremely dangerous in a gas dryer!! (04/24/2008)

By Cara

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

For the clothes themselves, I JUST learned that Windex removed the crayon immediately and it did pretty well on the dryer itself but I resorted to a bit of Comet as suggested on this site. I'm starting to believe the father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was right - Windex fixes/heals everything! :) (05/04/2008)

By Carrie

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Where do I find "BAR KEEPERS FRIEND"?

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) It is usually near the Comet or Ajax in the leaning section of the grocery store. (05/24/2008)

By WENDY0156

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

I just opened the dryer to find the towels covered in black specks and the dryer drum gray thanks to a little black crayon! After trying lots of other things, the thing that worked for us was Scrubbing Bubbles and lots of elbow grease! (05/25/2008)

By Angela

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Just cleaned my dryer with KABOOM bath and tile cleaner. Worked in seconds. I let the dryer run for 10 minutes to warm it up. don't know if I needed to but just sprayed and wow!!! It worked great! don't use on clothes!!! spray is a little yellow colored and didn't come out easily from my husbands white shirt and did nothing to remove the purple crayon. hope this helps. (05/25/2008)

By tmsiler

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

Hot dryer and mr clean sponge! (05/29/2008)

By

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of Dryer

This just happened to me for the first time. I read this post and opted for the Mr Clean Magic Eraser teamed up with Bon Ami ( or Bar Keepers Friend if you don't have it). Worked like a champ! I wet the Magic Eraser and made a nice wet area and then sprinkled the Bon Ami over that and mad e a paste and scrubbed it right off. Not more than 20 minutes and my dryer is like new! Whew! Now for my son's favorite skull shirt...... (06/15/2008)

By Stephanie

Archive: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

A whole bunch of crayons melted in my HE Dryer. I tried the soft scrubber Magic Eraser, and it's not working. Also, it melted on my son's jackets. My HE Dryer is just a week old and it looks like a rainbow swirl. If I'm not mistaken, around 8 colors were melted inside. Can anyone help me without using WD-40 or anything flammable? Thanks!

Rhona from Round Lake Park, IL

Answers:

Answers: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

(format_html)
I have 4 kids of my own and 2 visiting! Even after checking all pockets (routine) 3 blue crayons made it into my brand new dryer! I read these postings and I found the way!

Use generic Orange Clean, lightly mist the drum then use a Brillo pad. Provides enough grit but does not scratch. Use a warm wet cloth to wipe as you go, start from back to front. Then toss in a wet towel with a little bleach on it.

Started with WD-40, then oops! Fumes and flammability issues were not worth it.

By Dan from Summerville, SC

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

I used comet (the powdered kind) to clean out my dryer. I sprinkled the comet and wiped it with a sponge, then I took a wet rag and wiped it up. Then I put a couple of wet towels in and it worked great! Now I'm getting ready to try something for the crayon stained clothes. (06/30/2008)

By Christi, mom of two

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

We discovered the crayon melted all over the dryer and a load of whites yesterday. We tried the baking soda with no luck, and then made a paste of water and Tide with Bleach powder laundry detergent. Presto! It's working like a charm and there is no concern about fumes, etc. It's even working with a soft rag so we don't scratch the drum. Best of luck! (07/17/2008)

By Katherine from Texas

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

Thanks for all the helpful info. Water and comet did the trick and saved our dryer. (07/27/2008)

By Rick In Tampa

(08/21/2008)

By Kezia_admin

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

Try heating just the crayon with a hair dryer and when it is pliable, scrape it out. (08/23/2008)

By Terri

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

I read most of the advice and I cringed every time I came across something flammable. I was about to try old dutch cleanser because that was what I had, then I remembered a degreaser that was recommended by a friend previously to remove stains from carpet. Anyway I tried it and voila, it wiped right off. It's called Awesome and it's just that (awesome).

I got it from the dollar store (Dollar General). I heated the dryer for a few minutes (I don't think I needed to), I sprayed a damp cloth with Awesome and wiped, then it came off, NO elbow grease needed. And it's non flammable. Thank you so much for this site. I had no idea what to do about my dryer covered in black and green crayon but thanks to the different ideas it gave me the right road to go down. (08/25/2008)

By vonna

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

Well, I am now part of this club. I've actually been a part of this club for a while. About a month ago my daughter left a blue crayon in her pocket. It was only on her shorts though when I got the stuff out of the dryer. However, my husband is in the Navy and went to wash his whites and when his uniform came out of the dryer it had blue spots all over it! So I just put some dark colored dry towels in the dryer and ran it several times before I put anything else in there. The crayon melted and came out on the towels but since they are dark colored you couldn't tell. Now, I just got clothes out of the dryer and yet again another crayon. This time brown. I wanted to do something quick rather than running the dryer over and over and over. So I sprayed some Easy Off oven cleaner in there and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I went back with a dry rag and it wiped right off. Then I put a wet towel with bleach on it into the dryer so that it could clean off the walls. Now it is good as new! (09/18/2008)

By Alisha

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

I couldn't believe it when I unloaded my year old HE dryer. A black crayon! It wasn't even wavy, it was just black/grey streaks everywhere. It almost looked like it had caught on fire. I am so grateful, toothpaste did the trick! The fumes are a little much when your heads in there but it's worth it. After about 25 minutes, most of it is gone. I just needed to take a little break and now I'm going back to it. Thanks so much. (10/03/2008)

By Kim

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

I hate to admit that I actually tried the WD40, but I did and I want to make it clear to everyone never to try it. In hindsight, the risks were too great and it didn't work. Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser worked with a bit of elbow grease. (10/03/2008)

By Martin

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

The dreaded blue crayon in the dryer. Crayola's web site says to use WD 40 but we have a gas dryer so that seemed a bit dangerous to me. I used Comet with bleach and in about 30 minutes, the blue streaks were gone. (10/19/2008)

By Jennifer

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

A blue crayon melted in my 3 day old HE dryer. The Mr. Clean eraser didn't work, but the Comet with bleach did it. I used Comet with a little water and just wiped it in the drum; like a paste. I let it sit there for about 1 minute and wiped it off. NO elbow grease! The stain was gone. (10/25/2008)

By Leontyne

RE: Cleaning Crayon Out of a Dryer

It's so nice to see I'm not the only one this has happened to. I just got my new dryer last week and one of my children left a crayon in there pocket. I had a whole load of clothes in there that I think are ruined. I'm trying to wash them now to see but it doesn't look like they can be saved. On top of that, the whole inside of my dryer has a blue tint to it now I'm working to get the crayon out. Thanks for the tips ladies. I'll have to try them. I tried clorox cleaner with bleach and that did not work. (11/03/2008)

By Tamika

Archive: Cleaning Crayon from the Dryer Drum

To remove crayon from the dryer drum I used denatured alcohol on an old towel. While the fumes are indeed poisonous, and flammable they evaporate quickly.

By Harry

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Crayon from the Dryer Drum

Have you tried spraying WD-40 and wiping clear. Then I would use a wet cloth of soap and water to wipe the residue from the dryer AND LET THE DRYER DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE TURNING ON THE HEAT AND USING THE DRYER. (01/02/2007)

By Sheila B

RE: Cleaning Crayon from the Dryer Drum

i tried rubbing alcohol and it didn't do a thing. I'm afraid to use the WD40 because I don't want all my clothes to smell like that from now on. Is there anything else that works? (07/15/2007)

By DayFromHell

Archive: Cleaning Crayon or Ink from a Dryer Drum

Tip for taking dried crayon or ink out of a washing machine or drier. I have experienced both and rubbing compound worked both times. The ink was quite a bit of work, but it came completely out. I used 3M rubbing compound for light oxidation. It will remove the crayon or ink without harming the appliance finish at all. Just apply as described on the bottle. It can be found in car care area of WalMart.

By Silverado6902 from Stedman, NC

Archive: Crayons in the Dryer

We have dried a crayon in the dryer and are at our wits end trying to get it all out of the dryer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Laundry is piling up.

Momholla

Feedback:

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

Try WD 40, I was browsing the website the other day and they have a list of 2000 uses for this stuff and I remember seeing this. This stuff is really pretty amazing. Check it out wd40.com (06/30/2004)

By Ginger

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

Thank you to all for the great suggestions. I had red crayon all over the inside of my dryer. Being 8 1/2 months pregnant, I didn't want use WD40 in my dryer or on my clothes. I ran my dryer on high for about 5 minutes and used Aquafresh Extreme Whitening toothpaste and a soft (gentle) scrub sponge; it worked with almost no effort.
Good luck. (11/29/2006)

By Jessica

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

Just had this happen to me. I came and viewed all the suggestions and was going to try the toothpaste one when I remembered having Krud Kutter in my house. I sprayed it on and let it sit for a minute or two it wiped right off without any trouble. My husband and I looked the bottle over thoroughly and did not see flammable, or any ingredients that are flammable, listed. This also works on counter tops, range hoods, etc. to get that greasy/tacky feeling off. Great stuff. (03/16/2008)

By Hannel98

Archive: Crayons in the Dryer

My daughter left crayons in her coat pockets and it was run through the dryer. Needless to say, it made a horrible mess inside the dryer, but also in two new winter coats. What is the best thing to use to remove crayon from inside the dryer and from the coats?

By Bobby from Salem, VA

Feedback:

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

I don't know how many times my kids (ages 12-27) have done this to me over the years, but my son just did it again last week with a wax fire starter he made for Boy Scouts! The dryer is pretty easy, scrape chinks off walls, then I just run it for a bit, wipe out what I can with paper towels while it's warm, then run a couple of my towel rags through on high to get rid of any excess residue.

The clothes are harder. A lot of times the color from the crayon will set into the fabric like a dye if it goes through the dryer. I have been able to get it off clothes about 98% of the time with Simple Green and a lot of work (Simple green is a cleaner/degreaser in the cleaning or automotive section). First, I use straight Simple Green on the spots and scrub them in with a toothbrush, let it sit approximately 20 min, then wash clothes in warm water with extra laundry soap and a cup of Simple Green. Check for spots, (but let air dry even if it looks like spots are gone, just in case). If spots remain, rub with more Simple Green, let sit. Then I fill the washer, again, with warm water, extra soap, 1-2C Simple Green and let the clothes agitate a bit, then turn the machine off and let it sit all day or overnight.

If you remember, let it agitate again a few times during this waiting time (I have also pulled some of the clothing out of the water to check the spots and rubbed them again with the toothbrush dipped in the soapy water). In the AM, run the washer through it's longest cycle. If it looks like the spots are gone, I run the washer through another cycle with 1/2 the amount of laundry soap and an extra rinse to be sure I get all the Simple Green out. (02/02/2010)

By lyonpridej

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

The same thing happened to me 20+ years ago. What a mess! I also used Simple Green to remove the mess in the dryer, and it worked! (02/03/2010)

By jeanniek

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I hope that it never happens again, but if it does, I'll try Simple Green. I wound up using WD-40 which did a nice job. After washing two times, most all the smell is gone! (02/06/2010)

By rwcmmc

RE: Crayons in the Dryer

I have just gone through this in the last two days! WD-40 removes the crayon from the fabric. Spray the WD-40 on the crayon marks and let soak in. Then launder. My problem was after that I could not remove the smell of the WD-40.

After much research, it was determined that since WD-40 is an oil based product, it would take another oil to remove it. So, I filled the washer with hot water, put about 1/4-1/2 cup baby oil in the water, agitated it, then added the clothes. I let it agitate again, then let them soak for an hour. Then I agitated a bit longer, then let the water out through the rinse cycle. Then I washed with a powder based soap and the smell is finally gone. Good luck! (02/16/2010)

By lauracall

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJuly 25, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes, Man removing clothes from the dryer.
Removing Melted Crayon from Dried Clothes
Girl drawing with crayons on microfiber.
Removing Crayon From Microfiber
Making Crayon Rolls
Making Crayon Rolls
Crayon marks on a wall.
Removing Crayon From Walls
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:38:23 AM on 10.0.2.92 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings