Stringy Rhubarb

What's causing my rhubarb to be stringy? What can I add to my rhubarb's soil to produce a more tender plant? Thanks.

By countessj from Anchorage, AK

Maybe you're letting it get to old before you cut it.

I believe that is the nature of the stem.

Rhubarb does have a lot of strings naturally. But as your plants get older, you may find that the stalks are thinner and stringier. This is a sign the plant needs to be split into smaller plants and given more room. You need to do this every two or three years or so.

Also, rhubarb is a heavy feeder. I surround mine with 2 or 3 inches of organic compost in the spring when it first sprouts and it feeds it all summer long.

Rhubarb stalks
Growing Rhubarb
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingMay 31, 2009
Rhubarb plants in cardboard box
Transplanting Rhubarb
Hands holding freshly picked rhubarb stalks
Harvesting Rhubarb
Freezing Rhubarb
Freezing Rhubarb
Rhubarb
Cooking Rhubarb
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 3:09:25 PM on 10.0.2.150 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.