Simple Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
This page contains simple strawberry rhubarb pie recipe
. The stalks of rhubarb when sweetened with sugar are used for pies and desserts. Strawberries complement rhubarb very nicely.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Our son bought some rhubarb at the farmer's market and wanted to put it to use. So he and his dad decided to make a pie. It was so delicious!
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 1 pie
- 1 package of deep dish pie crusts (2 crusts)
- Pie Filling:
- 3 1/2 cup rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cup strawberries, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup quick-cook tapioca
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Crust Glaze:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut up strawberries and rhubarb. Place them into a bowl.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, and tapioca. Stir well to coat fruit.
- Remove pie crusts from the freezer. Scoop filling into one of the crusts, mounding it towards the center.
- Cut up butter and place the pieces onto the fruit filling.
- Using a knife, trim off the crimped edge of the second pie crust.
- Remove the crust from the tin and place it over the filling. Allow it to defrost for 10 minutes.
- Gently press the dough down around the filling a little bit and then using your fingers, crimp the two crusts together.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolk and the water.
- Using your fingers, gently brush the egg yolk glaze onto the top crust.
- Using a knife, pierce the crust in a few places to form vents.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet. Bake the pie for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven once the pie is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Carefully slide the pie onto a cooling rack and allow to cool for 2 hours. NOTE: I highly recommend placing the pie into the fridge and cooling completely before slicing and serving. It will be very liquidy otherwise.
- It can be served cold or reheated and served with ice cream. Enjoy!
Our son bought some rhubarb at the farmer's market and wanted to put it to use. So he and his dad decided to make a pie. It was so delicious! View the full recipe here: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie