Cooking Rhubarb

Category Vegetables
Many of us are familiar with strawberry rhubarb pie, but less so with other ways of cooking rhubarb. This is a guide about cooking rhubarb.

I love rhubarb but until recently never bothered to try cooking it because I assumed it was too complicated. Well, now that it's rhubarb season, I mentioned this woe to a neighbor. She laughed loudly and told me just how easy it is ;-) LOL! So for those of you who might be a dork like me here's the how to.

Wash 1 pound rhubarb, trim off ends and slice in to 1/2 inch pieces.

Place rhubarb in a saucepan, add 1/4 cup water and cook until just barely tender, about 5 minutes.

Add 1/2 cup sugar, or more to taste. Cook, while gently stirring, until sugar is dissolved.

By Ann from Richland, WA

hahaha, Deeli, it is easy alright! I grew up with it so I have used rhubarb just about every way possible. And I love it, especially combined with strawberries!

Anonymous

Hi Laniegirl I never had anything rhubarb except for pie when visiting someone who had made it :-( I guess I was deprived LOL!

I am not in to making pies but do you happen to have a good cobbler type recipe for it? I just tried cooking rhubarb as mentioned above recently and eating it with brown sugar on it ;-)

One recipe calls for a teaspoon of real butter - cooked the way you did, with sugar. I think the butter might cut down on the tartness. It was very good.