Harvesting Rhubarb

Every fruit and vegetable has an optimal time to harvest it for best flavor. This is a guide about harvesting rhubarb.

I have rhubarb growing in my garden. When do you cut it for freezing or cooking? When is the right harvest time?

By Sheila

Answers

Best Answer

Where I grew up we didn't cut the rhubarb, we pulled each stalk out. I don't know how to explain when to cut it. You don't want it to get too old. Maybe when the stalks are about as big around as your thumb, sometimes a little smaller.

If rhubarb gets frozen a little in the ground in the early spring, is it ruined in any way?

By Don

Answers

Best Answer

No. Just give it a little time and it should start popping back up.