Cleaning Cloudy Mirrors - Categories:

MiscellaneousCleaning

Cleaning Cloudy Mirrors

I have moved into a newly built home and have 3 bathrooms with large mirrors. I have cleaned them with everything I know to remove the cloudy, haze that is on them. I have used window cleaner, vinegar, alcohol and even tried Greased Lightning. Nothing works. Any suggestions?
Kathy from Memphis

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Have you tried using a scraper? It may be a paint-like residue. Get one of those tools from the DIY store that you use to get paint off windows and try that. They normally have a 'Stanley' knife blade in them and look a bit like a big flat disposable razor. If you use this tool with a new blade in it shouldn't scratch the glass at all.

If this works and the mirrors are not heated you might then want to use a product called 'Anti-fog' which you can buy from car accessory shops. It's a liquid that you wipe on, then off and it stops your mirrors from fogging up for weeks - till you clean it, then you have to reapply. (It's wonderful used inside your car in the winter!)

Hope this helps.

Chicky

I too have (had) a problem with cloudy mirrors and tried everything. I am now using a slightly dampened (with water) microcloth. My mirrors are now streak-free and the clouding has gone.

try to take some newspaper, wrinkle it up and go over what you cleaned, like you would a paper towel. This usually works on older mirrors, hopefully it will work!

ALSO, IT MIGHT BE NICOTINE. AS A SMOKER, I CAN ATTEST TO THIS. IF A MIRROR OR GLASS OF ANY KIND ISN'T CLEANED LIKE REALLY OFTEN AND THERE'S ANY NICOTINE FLOATING, IT WILL CEMENT ITSELF TO THE GLASS. I HAVE HAD TO CLEAN GLASS UP TO 4 OR 5 TIMES TO GET RID OF IT.

I use a capful of Avon Bubble Bath in a spray bottle full of water to clean mirrors, windows, etc. Works great.

For a haze on mirrors or glass that nothing works on or if you know that the surface has been chemically "etched" by using the wrong cleaner use jeweler's rouge. Call a local jewelry store to see if they have some in stock (about $4-5 a stick). This is a hard compound that you rub on the surface first then buff with a dry cloth. It can be labor-intensive and time consuming, but it has worked when nothing else has. The sticks come color-tinted, but I don't believe that applies for this application- I have used black and white with success.

I have a very old dressing vanity with a triple mirror that had been left out on a covered porch for years. The mirror was very cloudy and it had water streaks running down it. I tried everything! Then I heard about shaving cream! It worked like MAGIC! Took a lot of hard rubbing and wiping and you might have to do it a couple of times. I was amazed! :)

Thank you... I have an antique mirror that belonged to my Mom, I did everything to clean it... I gave up hope.. Until today... I read the your shaving cream solution and yes MAGIC... it works. Yes it takes a lot of rubbing... BUT IT WORKS........

February 10, 2012 Flag

I have a mirror that is about 70 years old, but in the last 6 or 7 years it has been down and sitting. I got it hung today and it's a little cloudy. I would like to know how I should clean it so that it will get the shine back. Whatever I do I want to start with the first wash. This mirror means a lot to me. My grandfather purchased it when my aunt was 8 years old, and she is now 70 years old. So, I want to start right so it will end up right.

Thank you.

By D. C.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't believe it is the glass that is cloudy but the backing that gives a piece of glass it reflectivity. It other words the mirror may need to be re-silvered or you can replace the mirror at less cost than having it re-silvered.

Use a Swiffer wet mop with a Kroger Home Sense wet mop refill. Works every time. RST Indianapolis, IN

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousAugust 1, 2004
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 4:52:57 PM on 10.0.0.123 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.