Cleaning Cloudy Mirrors

I have moved into a newly built home and have 3 bathrooms with large mirrors. I have cleaned them with everything I know to remove the cloudy, haze that is on them. I have used window cleaner, vinegar, alcohol and even tried Greased Lightning. Nothing works. Any suggestions?
Kathy from Memphis

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Have you tried using a scraper? It may be a paint-like residue. Get one of those tools from the DIY store that you use to get paint off windows and try that. They normally have a 'Stanley' knife blade in them and look a bit like a big flat disposable razor. If you use this tool with a new blade in it shouldn't scratch the glass at all.

If this works and the mirrors are not heated you might then want to use a product called 'Anti-fog' which you can buy from car accessory shops. It's a liquid that you wipe on, then off and it stops your mirrors from fogging up for weeks - till you clean it, then you have to reapply. (It's wonderful used inside your car in the winter!)

Hope this helps.

Chicky

I too have (had) a problem with cloudy mirrors and tried everything. I am now using a slightly dampened (with water) microcloth. My mirrors are now streak-free and the clouding has gone.

try to take some newspaper, wrinkle it up and go over what you cleaned, like you would a paper towel. This usually works on older mirrors, hopefully it will work!

ALSO, IT MIGHT BE NICOTINE. AS A SMOKER, I CAN ATTEST TO THIS. IF A MIRROR OR GLASS OF ANY KIND ISN'T CLEANED LIKE REALLY OFTEN AND THERE'S ANY NICOTINE FLOATING, IT WILL CEMENT ITSELF TO THE GLASS. I HAVE HAD TO CLEAN GLASS UP TO 4 OR 5 TIMES TO GET RID OF IT.

I use a capful of Avon Bubble Bath in a spray bottle full of water to clean mirrors, windows, etc. Works great.

For a haze on mirrors or glass that nothing works on or if you know that the surface has been chemically "etched" by using the wrong cleaner use jeweler's rouge. Call a local jewelry store to see if they have some in stock (about $4-5 a stick). This is a hard compound that you rub on the surface first then buff with a dry cloth. It can be labor-intensive and time consuming, but it has worked when nothing else has. The sticks come color-tinted, but I don't believe that applies for this application- I have used black and white with success.

I have a very old dressing vanity with a triple mirror that had been left out on a covered porch for years. The mirror was very cloudy and it had water streaks running down it. I tried everything! Then I heard about shaving cream! It worked like MAGIC! Took a lot of hard rubbing and wiping and you might have to do it a couple of times. I was amazed! :)

Answer

I have a mirror that is about 70 years old, but in the last 6 or 7 years it has been down and sitting. I got it hung today and it's a little cloudy. I would like to know how I should clean it so that it will get the shine back. Whatever I do I want to start with the first wash. This mirror means a lot to me. My grandfather purchased it when my aunt was 8 years old, and she is now 70 years old. So, I want to start right so it will end up right.

Thank you.

By D. C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't believe it is the glass that is cloudy but the backing that gives a piece of glass it reflectivity. It other words the mirror may need to be re-silvered or you can replace the mirror at less cost than having it re-silvered.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousAugust 1, 2004
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 31, 2016 at 1:56:59 PM on 10.0.2.120 in 848 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.