Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Cloudy Mirrors

I have moved into a newly built home and have 3 bathrooms with large mirrors. I have cleaned them with everything I know to remove the cloudy, haze that is on them. I have used window cleaner, vinegar, alcohol and even tried Greased Lightning. Nothing works. Any suggestions?
Kathy from Memphis

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By dsholland105/05/2013

I have a very old dressing vanity with a triple mirror that had been left out on a covered porch for years. The mirror was very cloudy and it had water streaks running down it. I tried everything! Then I heard about shaving cream! It worked like MAGIC! Took a lot of hard rubbing and wiping and you might have to do it a couple of times. I was amazed! :)

By justhefax12/31/2009

For a haze on mirrors or glass that nothing works on or if you know that the surface has been chemically "etched" by using the wrong cleaner use jeweler's rouge. Call a local jewelry store to see if they have some in stock (about $4-5 a stick). This is a hard compound that you rub on the surface first then buff with a dry cloth. It can be labor-intensive and time consuming, but it has worked when nothing else has. The sticks come color-tinted, but I don't believe that applies for this application- I have used black and white with success.

By Phyllis (Guest Post)08/07/2008

I use a capful of Avon Bubble Bath in a spray bottle full of water to clean mirrors, windows, etc. Works great.

By Cynthia Mullen06/07/2008

ALSO, IT MIGHT BE NICOTINE. AS A SMOKER, I CAN ATTEST TO THIS. IF A MIRROR OR GLASS OF ANY KIND ISN'T CLEANED LIKE REALLY OFTEN AND THERE'S ANY NICOTINE FLOATING, IT WILL CEMENT ITSELF TO THE GLASS. I HAVE HAD TO CLEAN GLASS UP TO 4 OR 5 TIMES TO GET RID OF IT.

By anne (Guest Post)11/15/2006

try to take some newspaper, wrinkle it up and go over what you cleaned, like you would a paper towel. This usually works on older mirrors, hopefully it will work!

By Goldsmith (Guest Post)07/11/2005

I too have (had) a problem with cloudy mirrors and tried everything. I am now using a slightly dampened (with water) microcloth. My mirrors are now streak-free and the clouding has gone.

By Louise [3]09/03/2004

Have you tried using a scraper? It may be a paint-like residue. Get one of those tools from the DIY store that you use to get paint off windows and try that. They normally have a 'Stanley' knife blade in them and look a bit like a big flat disposable razor. If you use this tool with a new blade in it shouldn't scratch the glass at all.

If this works and the mirrors are not heated you might then want to use a product called 'Anti-fog' which you can buy from car accessory shops. It's a liquid that you wipe on, then off and it stops your mirrors from fogging up for weeks - till you clean it, then you have to reapply. (It's wonderful used inside your car in the winter!)
Hope this helps.

Chicky

Here are questions related to Cleaning Cloudy Mirrors.

Question: Cleaning a Cloudy Hazy Mirror

I have a mirror that is about 70 years old, but in the last 6 or 7 years it has been down and sitting. I got it hung today and it's a little cloudy. I would like to know how I should clean it so that it will get the shine back. Whatever I do I want to start with the first wash. This mirror means a lot to me. My grandfather purchased it when my aunt was 8 years old, and she is now 70 years old. So, I want to start right so it will end up right.

Thank you.

By D. C.

Most Recent Answer

By Deanj02/10/2012

I don't believe it is the glass that is cloudy but the backing that gives a piece of glass it reflectivity. It other words the mirror may need to be re-silvered or you can replace the mirror at less cost than having it re-silvered.