MiscellaneousCleaning

Cleaning Cloudy Mirrors

I have moved into a newly built home and have 3 bathrooms with large mirrors. I have cleaned them with everything I know to remove the cloudy, haze that is on them. I have used window cleaner, vinegar, alcohol and even tried Greased Lightning. Nothing works. Any suggestions?

Kathy from Memphis

Have you tried using a scraper? It may be a paint-like residue. Get one of those tools from the DIY store that you use to get paint off windows and try that. They normally have a 'Stanley' knife blade in them and look a bit like a big flat disposable razor. If you use this tool with a new blade in it shouldn't scratch the glass at all.

If this works and the mirrors are not heated you might then want to use a product called 'Anti-fog' which you can buy from car accessory shops. It's a liquid that you wipe on, then off and it stops your mirrors from fogging up for weeks - till you clean it, then you have to reapply. (It's wonderful used inside your car in the winter!)

Hope this helps.

Chicky

I too have (had) a problem with cloudy mirrors and tried everything. I am now using a slightly dampened (with water) microcloth. My mirrors are now streak-free and the clouding has gone.

This is an old forum, but water with a micro cloth worked perfectly for me when I couldn't find another solution!

try to take some newspaper, wrinkle it up and go over what you cleaned, like you would a paper towel. This usually works on older mirrors, hopefully it will work!

ALSO, IT MIGHT BE NICOTINE. AS A SMOKER, I CAN ATTEST TO THIS. IF A MIRROR OR GLASS OF ANY KIND ISN'T CLEANED LIKE REALLY OFTEN AND THERE'S ANY NICOTINE FLOATING, IT WILL CEMENT ITSELF TO THE GLASS. I HAVE HAD TO CLEAN GLASS UP TO 4 OR 5 TIMES TO GET RID OF IT.

I use a capful of Avon Bubble Bath in a spray bottle full of water to clean mirrors, windows, etc. Works great.

For a haze on mirrors or glass that nothing works on or if you know that the surface has been chemically "etched" by using the wrong cleaner use jeweler's rouge. Call a local jewelry store to see if they have some in stock (about $4-5 a stick). This is a hard compound that you rub on the surface first then buff with a dry cloth. It can be labor-intensive and time consuming, but it has worked when nothing else has. The sticks come color-tinted, but I don't believe that applies for this application- I have used black and white with success.

I have a very old dressing vanity with a triple mirror that had been left out on a covered porch for years. The mirror was very cloudy and it had water streaks running down it. I tried everything! Then I heard about shaving cream! It worked like MAGIC! Took a lot of hard rubbing and wiping and you might have to do it a couple of times. I was amazed! :)

Thank you... I have an antique mirror that belonged to my Mom, I did everything to clean it... I gave up hope.. Until today... I read the your shaving cream solution and yes MAGIC... it works. Yes it takes a lot of rubbing... BUT IT WORKS........

What is the shaving cream solution for mirror cleaning?

It is just using shaving cream to clean a mirror. You spray it on and then wipe it off. I have never tried to do it myself. If I want any glass surface to be very clean, I use isopropyl alcohol. It's also very effective for removing ink stains.

Shaving cream usually has alcohol

Magic Eraser and Elbow Grease. I think my antique mirror might have had smoke residue. Glass plus works great for new stuff but this mirrow would just cloud up the minute any product dried. Magic Eraser plus A LOT of elbow grease is the only thing that has worked. BTW: You must push hard/fast enough that the magic eraser "squeaks" or it isn't going to work.

I just tried stove top glass cleaner (the one with small bits of grit in it) and a damp soft cloth. Rinsed it and cleaned with windex.Worked wonderful on mirrored tile on a bathroom roof area.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousAugust 1, 2004
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 28, 2017 at 2:38:32 PM on 10.0.2.9 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.