Share Crafts

Baking Soda Laundry Booster

I use baking powder to reduce odors in my laundry. Use about 1/8 to 1/4 cup per load and the laundry will smell okay. The amount can be changed depending on your need.

By Bea W.

By Lauren Heck (Guest Post) 04/08/2005

I Have an elderly grandfather who is in a Temporary Nursing Home and I take his laundry home with me to do to avoid him of losing his clothes at the facility. Sometimes he has accidents OOPS! It makes the clothes stink! So this time i washed his clothes 3 times then put them in the dryer and they still smelled! I looked on the net to find out what takes out the smells and i saw that the baking soda works very Well! Thanks Bea Westrate!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 04/08/2005

I work in a nursing home and we use commercial strength laundry soap on the clothes and never have a "smell" on them afterward, however, you could try a cup of white vinegar in the rinse. The smell of vinegar will go away and it will soften your clothes too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 9 2,498 12/13/2005

Your laundry soap will work better if you add about 1/2-1 cup of baking soda to your wash water.

By Robin from Washington, IA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By tootie (Guest Post) 02/17/2006

I keep baking soda by the washer for use in cleaning our dishtowels. Just one heaping teaspoon will keep the towels from a bad odor. Works for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Kenyon Allen (Guest Post) 02/25/2006

All I do for my whites when they are really dirty is just add a half-a-cup of white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and one-fourth cup of alcohol.

That always work for my dingy, and dirty whites that no laundry detergent can get rid of.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Terry 11 03/18/2007

I use washing soda, but I will try the baking soda since you always have that. If I run out of washing soda it will be a good substitite. Borax is also good for smelly laundry, however it will lighten your clothes, so be careful when using on colors.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Christina (Guest Post) 06/26/2007

Baking soda is such an amazing, natural cleaner. I like the tips at for all sorts of ways to use baking soda in laundry and just in general cleaning around the home. I hate using too many chemicals - so baking soda is an excellent option! :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By likekinds 109 396 07/01/2013

This is a good idea. I've been doing it for years. It also helps get your clothes cleaner. If you are pre treating an area, a paste of baking soda and detergent rubbed or brushed into the area will work much better than detergent alone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Post a Comment