Crafts Using Recycled Clothing

Used clothing has been recycled into craft projects for a very long time. The patchwork and memorial quilts are two examples. There are many other craft uses for worn clothing. This is a guide about crafts using recycled clothing.

June 5, 2006 Flag

Turning Old Clothes Into a Quilt

Sew outgrown childrens clothes, either whole or cut, into patterns for a worn quilt using an overcast stitch. You can quilt the pieces in as well. You can do a decorative pattern, or cover entirely. The end result is a wonderful keepsake to treasure.

By Doggy

T-shirt Pillows and Jeans Bags

I've made pillows out of old tees, they are so warm and comfy. Also, cut diagonally down the shirt from the collar to the bottom hem and sew for a simple dress up skirt, an adult tee shirt makes a child's size. Another fun thing is to make bags from old jeans and pants cut off the legs where they meet hem the remaining piece at the bottom and tie hobby rope to the belt loops of sew on straps from the jean leg. You can also make small bags from the bottom of the pant leg. Just cut about 20 cm from bottom of one leg, and hem the raw edges together, you can add handles also.

Hope you can use some of those ideas!
E

Welding Gauntlets From Jeans

I use the legs from an old pair of denim pants for welding gauntlets to cover my arms while welding. After cutting the legs off the pants, sew some elastic banding on both ends. that holds the gauntlet in place at the wrist and at the upper arm.

This protects the arms from welding splatter, and UV rays while welding. (Note - these are used in conjunction with welding gloves - OR the welding gloves can be sewn to the lower portion of your gauntlet instead of installing elastic there.)

Rex Smith

T-shirt Quilts

There is a pattern for making quilts out of tee shirts that have a special meaning. Maybe for the Sports enthusiast in the family for graduation. A tee shirt quilt made from all their sports teams shirts.

Donna

Pillows

When my Mother passed away it was up to me and my two sisters to empty out her apartment and do something with her belongings. When we got down to clothes we donated them to a mountain mission which gives them away to needy people. I kept some of her old cotton print blouses and couldn't bear to part with them. I was in the process of learning how to quilt. For a mother's day present I made my sisters and nieces a handmade pillow using the pattern called Grandma's Fan and cut the pieces from Mom's old blouses. Now we all have a momento of her in our homes.

MamawKC

Weaving Pot holders

You can cut the sleeves from t-shirts into rings and use the rings instead of purchased loops for weaving pot holders. Great colors! You can also do this with the tops of worn socks.

jlxian

Baby Heirloom Quilt

An idea I would have loved to do with my old baby clothes was to make a baby heirloom quilt to use for your first child or even better to give to your children for their first child.

I believe it was in Family Circle Magazine a few years ago that they used the fronts of shirts or dresses and sewed them into each quilt square as if it were hanging on a hanger or something. Other ideas would be to just use the fabric to make your own design.

Tawnda

Braided Rugs

Clothing can be cut into strips and braided to make rugs. these rugs are very durable and they wash well too.

Gizzmo from Colorado

Quilts for Dog Beds

Old denim jeans make great quilts for dog beds. They smell like you, which pleases the dogs. I usually cut old jeans into rectangles and squares and sew together. To practice fancy stitches on your sewing machine, you can overlap the raw edges of the seams and reduce raveling at the same time.

Lynn from Western Oregon

Denim Quilt

I have also made a Quilt out of my Hubby's old jeans! He never throws away a thing "it'll make a good rag someday" so when the pile became overwhelming I cut up the legs, stitched together with batting and a sheet and had a heavy warm quilt!

I also have made Pillows out of old, beloved Shirts from my kids. They work real well as throw pillows on their beds. Just stitch up the openings and stuff! too simple and they love them!

Terry R

What are some craft projects you can think of using old clothing?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use old jeans to make tablecloths. The jeans are cut to different size squares and sewn together. Finish the outside edges with seam binding. I also save the pockets and place beside each place setting to hold a napkin and silverware.

Wow.. Its really great.

But you can also sell your kids cloths online. I use some sites like dutchchoice.com and others to sell my kids designer cloths

Read More Comments...

April 6, 2010 Flag

A friend of mine gave me a whole tub, like a 50 gallon barrel, full of old clothes. They are not good enough to wear, but sure good enough to use in crafts. Instead of using my newer fabrics first I go to that tub then to my stash. Almost always the backs of trivets, frames, linings for doll clothes and outer clothes for country dolls come from this tub.

Some of the clothes were hers when she went to school and we are now in our 60s. In return I am saving the better pieces for a quilt for her bed, from the tub, a surprise for her. One she will love for the fabrics were also ones from her mother, aunt, and grandmothers' stashes.

Ann from Loup City, NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello ! I understand your anger but maybe the lady you talked to did not explain everything. Maybe they do not "send" what they do not sell to China, maybe they sell it to China and use this money to help people and even if they don't sell it to China they are still doing a good thing and not only for America but for the Earth. Take a look on this page : http://www.theguardian.com/sustaina ... extile-recycling-challenges-industry

I hope it will change your opinion. Most countries fabricate to sell worlwide and make benefits because they sell worlwide but they are not concerned about where and how their products will end and we customers are not better. "... in the US alone, almost 11 million tonnes of textiles ends up in landfill." Thank you China for your recycling industry but wouldn't it be better not to produce so much and not to waste so much and to plan recycling before production. Try to think of problems on a worlwide scale because pollution is worlwide. 26th of April 1986, 20 years ago this year, nothing stopped the wind, nothing stopped the clouds that came from Chernobyl.

I go to the nearby Goodwill sorting station to find interesting fabrics. They bring out large bins of clothing, linens, sometimes books or toys are mixed in. You pay for most things by the pound and there a substantial discount as you go up in weight, so it becomes cost effective to get more items.

I grab anything that looks like it might fit me or any eye catching fabrics. Sometimes I buy a item for the rhinestone buttons or fancy trim. You often see price tags on the clothing from being displayed at a Goodwill store. Other times, the clothes seem to be directly from a donation bag and are none too clean.

I wash or air out everything when I get home. I even gently wash most dry clean only items. I've usually managed to get an outfit or two in addition to all sorts of fabrics and craft supplies.

Read More Comments...

December 9, 2009 Flag

I needed some denim to make a couple of sturdy aprons, but it can cost over $10 a yard for the good stuff! (Even with store coupons, it is expensive). So I went to the thrift store and bought two long denim dresses for only $5 each and I have plenty of fabric for 4 aprons.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 23, 2008 Flag

These are just a few ideas of what you can make using the fabric from clothing you no longer wear. What you see is one draft catcher and three pillows/chair cushions.

Pillows Made from Old Clothes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 14, 2012 Flag

I watch for the local thrift stores to have half off or 75% off sales and go look for fabric suitable for covering scrapbooks, making recycled clothing, making small crafts and recovering furniture.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 22, 2006 Flag

Craft uses for old clothing. Here are some crafts that you can make with old clothing.

rag rug

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 24, 2007 Flag

Here's a craft for making a figure that looks like a baby wearing a straw hat.

Materials

Directions

Take the broom and separate the bristles to look like two legs and tie with string or pipe cleaners. Put on the sleeper, putting the legs of the sleeper over the bristle legs. Stuff the legs and body around the broom then stuff the arms. They will be open on end and sticking out straight but then you are going to sew the arms together in front of the baby by sewing the sleeper together.

Then put the hat on broom handle top. It is not going to have a face but no one will know because it is going to be displayed with the back showing as in the picture. Sorry about the picture, it's a little bit short but you can get the general idea.

By Sandy from Bluff City, TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks so much for the tip I have been looking for this idea for so long now my grandmother use to call them "baby be bad " corner dolls I love it !!

These are so cute! In my area of Texas, I've seen them dressed in little jeans and cowboy boots/hats...saw one today that even had a Skoal can in the back pocket! Around here they are called "Pouters".

Read More Comments...

September 25, 2015 Flag

A number of eBay sellers stock second hand surplices cheaply. All that gathered white cotton can very easily be upcycled into a nightdress (add broderie anglaise), tunic for re-enactment, dirndl blouse, or Victorian style pinafore. And they usually take dye well.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 12, 2012 Flag

Old shirts or leftover fabric make great coasters. Braid strips of 1 1/2 inch strips of fabric and tie several together if you want larger coasters. Take the braided strips and lay them next to each other creating circles.

Braided and coiled  fabric coasters.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 24, 2011 Flag

I'm looking for ideas to use old/used items and make them into something new. Ideas like turning a tank top into a shopping bag or turning an old pair of jeans into a handbag. The theme is "reuse, repurpose, refashion". I am looking to use materials that are no longer useful in their current state or would normally be thrown out or recycled. I'd appreciate any ideas you may have. Thanks!

By Anne from Washington Twp, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's a couple of my favorites, besides my #1 favorites, which happen to be Thrifty Fun & Instructables!

Here's a tshirt tote bag, & if you go to the home page of this website & look under 'Green Crafting',there are a lot of things - http://www.favecrafts.com/Green-Cra ... -Shirt-Tote-From-Earth-Safe-Finishes

And this site has some of the best sewing ideas & things to do with your old clothes! http://www.allfreesewing.com/Refashioning-and-Upcycling

Rag rugs! they can be knitted, crocheted, or just braided. I make mine from old tshirts and they are so hard wearing and pretty!

My fav recycle from a T shirt, is cutting the sleeve out of the Tshirt, right at the arm seam and you have an immediate cute little head covering with no sewing involved. You can embellish it or cut slits in around it and pull through a piece of the bottom band of the shirt for a tie. I have several and my SIL loves them so I made her a couple. It sounds crazy but they look really finished if you cut neatly next to the arm seam. Have fun.

Read More Answers...

September 17, 2007 Flag

Save your ripped pants and shirts, then "harvest" the buttons. You never know when you will need buttons. You can also save parts of the fabric and make clothes for an infant.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2012 Flag

The first outfits given to baby are so special! Turn that special outfit into a very sentimental and personal pillow that you can gift back to the original gifter on Mother's Day, Father's Day, for any occasion, or just because.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 11, 2005 Flag

If you end up with a clothing item you would never wear but like the pattern, think about using the material for pillows, quilts, etc. You can also stock up on material from clothes for quilts at bag sales from thrift stores or yard sales.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 8, 2005 Flag

The back pockets of jeans may be used as fun drink coasters! I remove them from the pants, put some backing on them (quilted material for example), with a water resistant glue or sew them on, and voila! I have drink coasters that can even be put into the washing machine.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2012 Flag

How do I find someone to who would make a memory blanket for me? Roughly how many lbs. of clothing would I need for a small blanket?
Many thanks.

By Jean from London

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dear Jean, How big would you like the blanket to be, in feet/inches in both length and width. The number of pounds is not quite the question, but each piece of cloth used should be no smaller than 8 x 8 inches. 10 x 10 inches is better, as this size is easier to work with.

One can also sew a piece of the memory item to a piece of cloth of the right size. The number of squares needed would depend on what size you want the blanket to be. You need to remember that seams use up some of the size of each square.

You say you are from London. I am in the USA, California. I'm not sure if it would be worth it to you have the blanket made by me as shipping would be quite a lot. If you can do any sewing at all I could walk you through it by email. write to: tracy_m_mcdonald AT yahoo.com

November 24, 2008 Flag

How can you make a bag out of a hoodie?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you make one, will you please post a picture of it when you're done. Cool idea!

August 20, 2008 Flag

I have always loved the country look in my home. It has become so popular, that people can pick up swanky catalogs and order just about anything. Or, they can be smart like us and do it themselves!

Rag Rug Balls

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Recycled Crafts ClothingFebruary 14, 2012
Colorful seed catalogs to be used in crafts.
Crafts Using Recycled Catalogs
Book Lamp
Crafts Using Books
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
Craft Ideas Using Recycled Crayons, Uses for Old Crayons
Craft Ideas Using Recycled Crayons
🎉
🎄