Use Ice to Water Plants

I have a few plants in my home. One day I didn't have time to water all of them, so I was passing them on my way out and dropped a few ice cubes from my glass in them, just to keep them fresh until the weekend when I had more time. Well, I found that this became a habit and my plants stay watered better and have even begun to grow more.

I found out the Ice melts letting the plant "sip" the water instead of drowning it as you do when pouring the water into it. It is a more natural growth.

By NannyQuacker from Pineville, LA.

Now, I'm not sure but I thought I had heard that this was bad for some plants. Sorry I wish I could remember what they said it could do to your plants. Now is this in the summer times or year round? This is great if it works!

October 13, 2009 Flag

Fill empty plastic water bottles then freeze with the tops off. Once frozen, place upside down in your plant. The frozen water bottle will automatically water your plant for you as the ice melts. This helps keep your plants watered, even if you are under a water restriction.

By learninglinx from Gainesville, FL

July 27, 2009 Flag

I have a gazillion houseplants, most of which have been started from cuttings. Watering hanging plants can be hard, especially when they get a bit rootbound. To make this easier, I freeze empty water bottles and yogurt cups of water and when frozen put them into the plants. As the water melts, it is absorbed into the soil slowly, rather than just running down the sides and out the bottom. This saves water, frustration and also, since a full freezer is more energy-efficient, it saves electricity. Sometimes I mix soluble fertilizer/food into the bottles and feed the plants this way, too. None of the fertilizer is poured out into the saucer, either.

By Linda from Vista CA

Answers:

Use Ice To Water Houseplants Slowly

Great Idea! (09/18/2008)

By L M

Use Ice To Water Houseplants Slowly

Do you just turn the water bottle upside down or do you have to put the mouth of the bottle into the soil? (09/19/2008)

By Carolyn

Use Ice To Water Houseplants Slowly

I just turn the bottle upside down, propping it on the lip of the pot, the hanger or the wall-or an adjacent pot. Not necessary to put it into the soil. (09/20/2008)

By Linda

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsOctober 13, 2009
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Refrigerator Ice Maker
Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Getting Water
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
🎉
🎄