Using Mayonnaise In Your Hair - Categories:

TipsHair Tips

Using Mayonnaise In Your Hair

I am looking for instructions to condition my hair with mayo.

Cindy from Spokane, WA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

First, as with all conditioners, apply to the ends only of your hair, not the root. It will result in oily hair. Second, I have heard some people say that the mayo gives a nasty odor to your hair, so you may want to try other alternatives, like the olive oil. In response the the person that said it made their hair more brittle, this is entirely possible. Dry hair is usually lacking protein, but if you put too much protein back in it can have the same effect. Finally, buy a really good shampoo, and you won't even need deep conditioning. I have gone several years without using conditioner in my hair because I buy a quality shampoo. Although the bottle may initially cost more, it is still frugal because you use far less of the good stuff than you do of the cheap stuff. Good luck, hope you get shiny hair!

P.S. What you eat comes out in your hair as well. Try eating a diet rich in "good" fats, like olives and nuts.

Best Answer

My grandmother used to use mayonnaise on her hair. She would put it all over her hair and leave it in for awhile and then wash her hair with shampoo. I did try it once, but like someone else, took forever to get it out, but I used it as a conditioner not before shampooing. I have also used a mixture of olive oil, egg and a couple of drops of a scent, it was great.

Best Answer

I've used this technique several times, and my hair always feels soft after. Simply scoop some mayonnaise out (I keep a jar just for my hair, so your fingers is fine) and massage it through you hair until it is all damp. Cover with a plastic shower cap, and watch TV or do housework for 20 minutes. Then rinse it out in cold water only (very important, otherwise hot water will set the egg content) and wash and condition as normal.

I don't know why the above posters said their hair was greasy - maybe they didn't wash it afterwards?

Good luck!

Best Answer

I have taken mayonaise out of my diet and put it into my hair. I have very coarse, dry, and unruly hair simply because I love flat irons and blow dryers. Mayo works! Wet your hair, towel dry and then put in a decent amount of conditioner roots to ends. (I use Organics White tea grape seed conditioner, you can pick up a bottle at Walgreens.) Once the conditioner sets for a couple of minutes add your mayonaise, (about a teaspoon) starting around your crown, not at the roots! Let the mayo and your conditoner set for about twenty minutes, rinse with cold water, use a very little of shampoo, then reconditon, and rinse. Towel dry and avoid putting any other products or heat on your hair until the next day. Do not over condition your hair, twenty minutes of anything is enough.

Best Answer

You can use mayo in your hair. I am 17 and I have long (use to be dry) natural hair. I did 2 eggs, 2 scoops of mayo, 2 tablespoons of honey and lavender essential oil (for the smell). Then I use apple cider vingear (diluted) then put the Mayo mix in (leave in for 20 mins.) Then wash out the mayo and shampoo and condition as usual. I also use DIY Shea butter to seal in the moisture. Works wonders and I do it every week to two works depending on my hair condition. To the person who said it made the dry hair worse, if you put too much protein back to your hair it makes it dry. Look up Naptural85 on YouTube for the recipes and good luck.

Mayo oil doesn't penetrate the hair shaft. What does work is warming olive oil and putting only on the ends of hair. Where it's needed most. Perhaps even sleeping with it in your hair...like a hot oil treatment. It works great. Shampoo twice to get it out.

I tried conditioning with mayo when I was a teenager and it was a big mistake! It took forever to get out and I had to go around for a while with really horrible greasy hair! I would not ever try it again!

This idea (mayonnaise) started way back before there were good conditioners on the market. Now there are wonderful products that chemists have spent hours perfecting in the lab. They are FOR HAIR! Not for tuna fish salad! Don't use food in your hair! Buy a good conditioner. I love Paul Mitchell leave in conditioner. It is all natural. You can wash under your arms with it, shave your legs with it, and even bathe in it if you want to.

*WARNING*

Be careful! I did this as a teenager and I have thick hair and put gobs in my hair which I combed through then I put a plastic bag over my hair. Then I went and sat outside in the hot sun. Well, when I washed it

out my hair looked like a skunk or so my mom said.

It looked like I put a can of car grease not oil on my head. I washed it with Palmolive dish soap and white vinegar it still took a few weeks to get it out. And in teenage years it was forever. So do so carefully. Go to the ethnic hair section and buy Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil it is wonderful and if you have dry skin it really takes care of it.

My hair it super dry and damaged because I always straighten it every single day. Hopefully this will work, because its in my hair right now. I dont know how long to keep it in.. around an hour maybe? but yeah. It smells exactly like egg salad. I did add the egg in it. and olive oil. Will that make it better? Hopefully! [[:

The key to the whole mayonaise thing is to rinse the mayo out of your hair with cool water BEFORE you shampoo it! I've been doing it for years!

I just did this today, and it really made my hair soft, and repaired most of the damage done due to my straightener :) ha ha, my only problem is that my hair was SUPER oily after the first wash. But then I just got back in the shower and washed with a bunch of shampoo then conditioned it, and its not greasy anymore:) it feels so clean! lol. I'm washing it again in the morning though just to make sure I didn't miss any spots:) i would definitely recommend trying this.

I don't know. I just did this with my fiance and it worked well. We each used a glob of mayonnaise, a tablespoon of olive oil, and we worked it through our hair. After 20 minutes, we rinsed it with cold water, and then shampooed and conditioned like normal. Worked great! :)

I love mayonnaise hair treatment. I do it Once a week and it has really strengthened my hair beautifully...What I do is mix about two tablespoon of mayo. Note, this amount depends on the length of your hair, then I will mix olive oil, coconut oil and vitamin e oil which has grapeseed and safflower oil in it. Also, about a tablespoon of pure honey, mix well. Apply plastic cap and a warm a towel from the microwave. Wrap around your head and leave on for about 30 minutes. I sometimes leave on longer, shampoo and condition as usual. It works wonders.

I am 65 years old. I started using Mayo, mixed with one egg treatment on my hair about 2 months ago. Unlike most; I do not wet my hair; tends to make the Mayo drip. I have a lot of hair, so I use a lot of Mayo. I cover my head with a plastic shower cap and usually leave in for a few hours, rather than the suggested 20 minutes; depending on what I have planned for the day. I do this once a week.

I can honestly say - It's done wonders for my hair. My hair is healthy, soft, silky, manageable; my silver locks shine like New Money! And it's only been two months! Can't wait to see what my hair looks like in a year. My hair never looked this good in my youth. I read some of the earlier remarks about bad smell and/or oily, brittle hair. Sorry: But none of those things have happened to me.

I am very pleased with the way my hair looks and how strong it's becoming. I only wish I had tried Mayo/egg conditioning years ago: would have saved myself a lot of money. But, like so many of us; I believed - the more you spent; the better the product. Duh! Don't be fooled ladies and gents! I've been around a long time. I've tried a lot of conditioning products.

Never have I used a conditioner as good as this. But, there's an added bonus! No false promises or disclaimers listed on the back of the jar. Have a blessed day everyone. Toni

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsDecember 30, 2008
Sandwich with mayonnaise alternative.
Alternatives to Mayonnaise
Mayonnaise in dish with fresh basil leaves.
Fat Free Mayonnaise Recipes
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 12:19:26 AM on 10.0.1.144 in 847 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.