Making a Tin Punch Lantern

You can easily turn an empty tin can into a beautiful lantern. Simply punch a pattern into its surface and place a candle inside to illuminate it. This is a guide about making a tin punch lantern.

July 12, 2005 Flag

Tin can lantern illuminated with a candle.Here's a simple way to turn old coffee or vegetable cans into lovely garden lanterns.

1. Clean out and remove the labels from any sized tin can-opened on one end. If necessary, pound down any sharp edges with a hammer, then dry the can thoroughly.
  2. Cut a piece of white paper big enough to fit around the can, cutting off any excess. This paper will serve as your design template.
  3. After cutting the paper to the correct size, remove it from the can and with a colored marker, trace or draw a simple design using a series of small dots (about the size of a nail head). These dots represent the spots you'll be punching with a hammer and nail. Leave at least a 1/2 inch border around the top of the can so you punch out holes for hanging.
  4. Tin Candle Holder Step 1

5. Fill the can up to the top with water and let it freeze over night. This will prevent the can from bending and denting while you punch holes into it and give you a hard surface to work on.
  6. Remove the can from the freezer and reattach your template with masking tape. If necessary, secure the template with paper clips along the rim of the can.
  7. With a hammer and large-sized nail, pound holes into the can following the pattern of your design. Make an X with masking tape across the open end of the can to make it easy to mark where to punch holes for hanging.
  8. Tin Candle Holder Step 2

9. Decorate the outside of the can with paint as desired. Add small candles or tea lights and use wire or a metal clothes hanger for hanging.
  10. Tin Candle Holder Step 3

A Note of Caution: Make sure you keep your candles small and your hangers long enough to avoid fire. Never leave a candle burning unattended. Tin Candle Holder Step 4

I love this idea...but I want to modify it by using small cans which I will attach a string of Christmas tree lights to and hang up along the perimeter of my patio. Each bulb will have a can attached to it!

These can lights would alos be great as luminaries at Christmas along a walkway or driveway!

Thanks for the great ideas!

I did what you said but be4 when i didnt use the paper bag the paint kept peeling off.. Thanks For The Advice..

Beautiful, really love this. I love the idea of doing smaller cans and use it for Christmas lights!

What do you mean about using a paper bag? I was curious how paint would stick to the can. I suggested to my husband to do this with the cub scouts. What a great way for them to make Christmas gifts for their parents or for the senior center.

November 17, 2014 Flag

Repurposing used cans from soup to cat food, these tin punched cans make adorable, homey holders for candles on tables or in a centerpiece.

Finished candle holder with lighted candle.

January 31, 2012 Flag

Fill can with water and freeze. This will give the can stability so that it does not collapse when you hammer with nail.

Alternate method - use a piece of wood to support the inside of the can.

Use different size nails to puncture holes to form different size holes.

Crafts MetalSeptember 8, 2011
Fruit Punch Recipes
Fruit Punch Recipes
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Wedding Punch Recipes
A glass of Champagne Punch.
Champagne Punch Recipes
Tin Can Frog
Tin Can Animal Crafts