Fruit Fly Control

I am just curious if anyone has heard of a homemade fly paper type remedy for fruit flies? We have these in our office at work and would like something natural to use, as we have people in our office 24/7. Thanks for any response.

By HelenF. from Pensacola, FL

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I tried everything and found the most natural remedy to be about 1/4-1/3 cup apple cider vinegar with a few drops of cooking oil in a glass. Keep this near fresh fruit (or wherever the flies are) and they will dive into the mixture and drown. It works better than anything else.

Fran

I have had a terrible problem with fruit flies lately. The fruit is not overripe, nor do I have garbage piling up. I've also checked the drain. Anyone know how to get rid of these?

Leslie (San Diego)

This is the best way to get rid of fruit flies:

Use apple cider vinegar - a couple of ounces in a small glass such as a jelly jar/juice glass or even a shot glass, and add just 1-2 drops of any dish liquid. The dead fruit flies will accummulate on the bottom. Just dump and refill as needed. I place them near any fruit or veggies that sit out, and near my trash can.

I have used the cider vinegar/dish detergent method for years, but I add a little water. They don't swim at all well!

Answer

There have been times in the past when a few fruit flies would come into my house via grocery shopping and they multiplied. I usually make sure there is no good food source for the little rascals, swat the ones I can, and they are gone within a few days.

We had a few show up about a month ago and I did all the usual stuff, but we soon had an invasion. I searched the house, and found that my son had left an open cup in the bottom of his closet. It had contained a milkshake, and the little buggers came flying out of it like crazy.

I make sure that all food is covered, dishes are rinsed and put in the dishwasher, trash is removed daily. I removed the cat bowls and am temporarily using small paper plates that are tossed out daily. I've even put all the plants outdoors. The little monsters will not go away.

It's annoying to try to eat a sandwich and shew fruit flies at the same time. They are in every room in the apartment. I know they usually lay their eggs in a food source, but I feel like I've eliminated any potential nesting areas. Short of an insect bomb, does anyone have an idea of how to get rid of these pests?

Dianne from OR

Fruit Fly Control

Gnats from plants: in a spray bottle, fill with water, a few drops dish soap and a few drops of peppermint oil (essential oil). Spray the soil where the gnats are.

Fruit flies: open a bottle of gel hand sanitizer. Gnats love this and then get stuck in the gel.

Pouring bleach down your drain is bad for the environment and also not a good idea if you have a septic tank. (10/04/2008)

By yaffadreams

Fruit Fly Control

I made a funnel of paper and placed and taped it over a jar with a little pineapple juice mixed with vinegar. The fruit flies are drawn to the mixture and they can manage to get into the jar down the funnel, but cannot figure out how to get back out. I have eliminated whole rooms of fruit flies by doing this. Any kind of fruit will work, especially if it is starting to rot, but with the lack of rotting fruit, the juice mixture works great. (10/04/2008)

By Mom to 11

Fruit Fly Control

I have the little devils too. I found they like the bubbles when I put dishes in to soak. I use an old plastic glass and put dish soap, then run the water into the glass to fill it with a nice head of soap bubbles. I will come out later to find the little guys have expired on the foam. I also have the pantry moths from a box of dog bones that are driving us crazy too.

Kathy (NJ) (10/05/2008)

By katlyn

Fruit Fly Control

I can appreciate your frustration as I have to deal with them as well. So much so that I wonder if they have beat the rabbit as the fastest multiplying life form on earth.

Here are some of the things that have worked for me:

1. Take a pill bottle and carve a hole in the center of the top of the lid. Fashion a small funnel out of a piece of glossy magazine paper. Fill the bottle 1/4 way with witch hazel, put on the lid and insert the funnel. Then place it in the area where the fruit fly infestation is the worse. The flies are attracted by the smell of the witch hazel. They fly into the funnel to get at it, but cannot find their way back out and drowning in the very thing that attracted them.

2. Second, get them drunk. Seriously, but a bottle of generic Kahula and put about one ounces in a rocks glass. The smell of the sweet coffee liquor attracts them and when they attempt to get to the weetness, the alcohol hits them first. So they end up in the bottom of the glass, wait for it. Dead drunk.

Of course wash the mix down the drain unless you are really really needing a drink. Just figure you can get some protein while you get bombed.
(10/05/2008)

By Bob P

Fruit Fly Control

I used to be a bartender and we used to pour some wine in a shallow cup and add some dish soap. The little pests go after the wine and coat their wings with the soap so they can't fly out. You don't have to mix it, just let the soap float on top. (10/06/2008)

By sassybritches

Fruit Fly Control

I've tried the vinegar and dish soap, it works pretty well, especially if you put it under a single light in a room overnight. The best thing I've found is to hang a sticky fly strip where they seem to be the worst, usually next to the kitchen sink. I don't hang it over the sink because one year I ended up with my hair caught on the fly strip. Yuck. It usually only takes a week to catch all the original flies and the ones that hatch out a few days later. (10/06/2008)

By chriself

Fruit Fly Control

This works. One small jar filled half-full with water. Add two drops of dish soap which breaks up the surface tension. Add the butt slice of an orange or lemon and fully submerge. The flies are attracted to the fruit, but drown because there is no surface tension on the water. (03/10/2009)

By saddlebag

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get rid of fruit flies? At the end of summer when I start bringing the bounty from my garden into my house the fruit flies are everywhere.

Julie from Lindon, UT

Fruit Fly Control

I have problems with fruit flies only when I have any fruit ripening on the counter. I do wash all my fruit when I bring it home but sometimes have a problem. Once you get one, it seems you get the whole generation of them.

I started this fruit fly trap a few days ago and it seems to be working. In a jar, I placed a piece of cantaloupe, put a funnel -- spout down, on the top, taped it to the jar using masking tape, so the flies can't get out. I think as of today, I have the whole group. It's like a family reunion in there. They can get in but they can't get out.

My daughter's boyfriend who manages a restaurant suggested what he used as a trap in the restaurant kitchen. Pour some cider vinegar in a jar, cover it with plastic wrap, and then rubber band it tight. Punch some holes in the top with a toothpick. This trap has one fruit fly in it. Like someone suggested there are different types of pests. So what works for one may not work for others. At least, we have a variety of ideas to use.

If I have the problem again, I will replace the cantaloupe with cider vinegar or maybe try both together. You have to keep the fruit flies happy in order to catch them. Good luck. (09/11/2007)

By Laura

Fruit Fly Control

Fruit flies-drain flies and fungus gnats. All just as annoying but all require different action to relieve the problem. Unfortunately they often get mistaken one for another. You need to know which one you have to get rid of them. I have some pictures up and info on all three. Hope it helps.
http://pestcemetery.com/?cat=16 (11/17/2007)

By Dutch 1962

Fruit Fly Control

Wine in a bowl covered in plastic wrap. Use a rubber band to make it tight and poke holes so they can get in (make sure they aren't too big so they cant get out. Place in your sink at night and on the counter during the day. Once you get several change the wine by dumping the old in your trash and taking it out right away! Vinegar and hot tap water works great in the drain too. We also put a wine container in the bathroom under a night light and caught several! (03/05/2008)

By Kael

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Getting Rid of Fruit Flies, Fruit Fly on Apple
Getting Rid of Fruit Flies
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesSeptember 4, 2009
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Close up of housefly on white background
Homemade Fly Traps
Apricots hanging on the tree.
Growing Apricots
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 1:04:08 PM on 10.0.0.156 in 318 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.