Fruit Fly Control

By Helen Fritzie 1

I am just curious if anyone has heard of a homemade fly paper type remedy for fruit flies? We have these in our office at work and would like something natural to use, as we have people in our office 24/7. Thanks for any response.

By HelenF. from Pensacola, FL

Filter Sort

By Fran 10 19 Flag

I tried everything and found the most natural remedy to be about 1/4-1/3 cup apple cider vinegar with a few drops of cooking oil in a glass. Keep this near fresh fruit (or wherever the flies are) and they will dive into the mixture and drown. It works better than anything else.

Fran

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 10 2,498 Flag

I have had a terrible problem with fruit flies lately. The fruit is not overripe, nor do I have garbage piling up. I've also checked the drain. Anyone know how to get rid of these?

Leslie (San Diego)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Laure Sullivan 8 58 Flag

This is the best way to get rid of fruit flies:

Use apple cider vinegar - a couple of ounces in a small glass such as a jelly jar/juice glass or even a shot glass, and add just 1-2 drops of any dish liquid. The dead fruit flies will accummulate on the bottom. Just dump and refill as needed. I place them near any fruit or veggies that sit out, and near my trash can.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol 1 36 Flag

I have used the cider vinegar/dish detergent method for years, but I add a little water. They don't swim at all well!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Fruit Fly Control

Any quick easy tips to get rid of fruit flies in the kitchen?

savtajon

Answers:

RE: Fruit Fly Control

First pour bleach down your drains and wash all your fruit. (10/19/2004)

By dsbaby14

RE: Fruit Fly Control

Take small bowls filled with apple cider vinegar with 3 to 5 drops of dish washing liquid mixed in and place where you notice the flies. They will be attracted to the vinegar and as they investigate will drown since the soap creates a barrier that prevents them from escaping. Empty the bowls daily and keep putting out fresh bowls of the vinegar mixture until the flies are gone. With severe problems you may find that the vinegar traps work for a while and then stop working. This tends to occur when several different types of fruit flies are present. Some are attracted to the vinegar scent and others don't seem to notice. When the vinegar doesn't work you can use left over wine. Leave the wine in the bottle add a couple of drops of the dish soap and leave the opened bottle where you notice the most flies. Good luck! (10/19/2004)

By Deb

RE: Fruit Fly Control

You have to make sure that there is nothing a fruit fly can eat. I have a dish washing soap dispenser sitting on the counter. I found them clustered on that. I think they were eating the soap! When I have a problem I take everything off my counter. I bleach all surfaces, including the sink and sink drain. I cover the cat food and move it out of my kitchen. You can not have anything in your house that they can eat. They do not just stay in the kitchen either. They will go anywhere in your house that they can find something to eat. I have tried the trick of putting some fruit in a brown paper bag. This works okay for me...I slowly move up to the bag and swoop down on it, trapping the bugs inside the bag. I have not tried the bowl of vinegar and soap yet. The next time I have the little pests I will try that. (10/19/2004)

By beckyalan

RE: Fruit Fly Control

May not be fruit flies. If you have a lot of houseplants it could be gnats. (10/19/2004)

By lindal

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I found the best way to get rid of fruit flies was to leave an unrinsed wine bottle open on the counter, then cork it when a lot of fruit flies are inside. It will take a few days for the fruit flies to die so move it to your garage once you've caught a bunch. Another option is to put fruit (I used pineapple) in a jar to lure in the fruit flies and then cover. Again, wait until they die before opening the jar. I didn't have good luck with the dishwashing liquid. Good luck to you! (10/19/2004)

By Sandy

RE: Fruit Fly Control

All of the posted feedback suggestions are good, but I might add to not leave any dirty dishes in the sink, keep the trash can emptied, at night pour bleach down all drains in the house and close them. They are a pest, but something we live with and expect each spring and fall here in the area where there is farming. Not really sure where they come from-but right now a lot of watermelons and pumpkins are being harvested and of course they are attracted to the busted fruit! (10/20/2004)

By Connie

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I had a terrible problem this summer with the fruit flies all over the house, anywhere there was a drain. A friend told me to pour 1 cup of bleach down the drains and follow with boiling water. I continued using boiling water down every drain (kitchen, bath etc) daily for about a week and and do this at the first sign of them. Works great, no more problems (10/21/2004)

By certified

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I've come to learn that fruit flies don't like hairspray. I haven't tried anything else yet. My mom has them and the lady I live with ahs them and we hate them. They drive us crazy. We are learning how to deal with them now. I also heard that if you put up one of those fly gold stick it'll take them away as well. Please let me know of anything else that works to kill them. Thanks. (11/07/2004)

By Crystal.

RE: Fruit Fly Control

Check you washing machine lint catcher.they like to breed there & in machine. Spray with bug killer, tape shut & wash. Put milk or wine in soda bottle. Plastic wrap mouth or tape it and poke a small hole, let it set for a few days, shake it occasionally. Don't let food sit on dishes in dishwasher. Hair spray or windex slows them down so you can kill them. They also like damp paper towels so pitch them. The expensive traps work but not well enough. (03/01/2005)

By ann

RE: Fruit Fly Control

IF what you have is fruit flys than any one of the suggestions given should work. However sometimes gnats are mistaken for them, as the other guest said. Do you have pets? Specifically cats? If your litter box is not cleared of cat feces on a frequent basis, gnats will become a problem in your home. If you do have cats, change the litter and you'll notice that your gnat problem with literally stop overnight. Good luck. (03/02/2005)

By Suzanne S.

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I have found that rather than using chlorine bleach to disinfect the drains (which is not at all good for the water supply), using straight vinegar, followed by a kettle full of boiling water, will do the trick, without the harm to the environment. (07/23/2005)

By flowergirl

RE: Fruit Fly Control

When you buy produce at the grocery store, and you bring it home. Rinse it under the taps. Fruit flies lay their eggs on Banana Skins. Wash the bananas as soon as you can, and you won't get fruit flies in your kitchen. (09/23/2005)

By Evelyn Jepson

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I sit an apple or banana out for a few hours waits till its crawling with them then spray furniture polish on them then just hoover them up it works really well also if you see one flying threw the air just spray the furniture polish on them and they fall to the ground (09/30/2006)

By

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I have lots of fruit flies right now and I can't seen to get rid of them !!! I have tried everything and nothing has worked (not sure were they came from) my place is clean there is no fruit around Need Help (11/25/2006)

By christy

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I pour bleach down my drains and cover them I also keep my vacuum in the kitchen with the hose attachment on and bait the fruit flies out with a dirty dish. once they are on the dish I vacuum them off of it and out of the air. it gets rid of them pretty good. don't forget to empty your vacuum. (06/03/2007)

By jessicab

Archive: Fruit Fly Control

How do you get rid of fruit flies? At the end of summer when I start bringing the bounty from my garden into my house the fruit flies are everywhere.

Julie from Lindon, UT

Answers:

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I have problems with fruit flies only when I have any fruit ripening on the counter. I do wash all my fruit when I bring it home but sometimes have a problem. Once you get one, it seems you get the whole generation of them.

I started this fruit fly trap a few days ago and it seems to be working. In a jar, I placed a piece of cantaloupe, put a funnel -- spout down, on the top, taped it to the jar using masking tape, so the flies can't get out. I think as of today, I have the whole group. It's like a family reunion in there. They can get in but they can't get out.

My daughter's boyfriend who manages a restaurant suggested what he used as a trap in the restaurant kitchen. Pour some cider vinegar in a jar, cover it with plastic wrap, and then rubber band it tight. Punch some holes in the top with a toothpick. This trap has one fruit fly in it. Like someone suggested there are different types of pests. So what works for one may not work for others. At least, we have a variety of ideas to use.

If I have the problem again, I will replace the cantaloupe with cider vinegar or maybe try both together. You have to keep the fruit flies happy in order to catch them. Good luck. (09/11/2007)

By Laura

RE: Fruit Fly Control

Fruit flies-drain flies and fungus gnats. All just as annoying but all require different action to relieve the problem. Unfortunately they often get mistaken one for another. You need to know which one you have to get rid of them. I have some pictures up and info on all three. Hope it helps.
http://pestcemetery.com/?cat=16 (11/17/2007)

By Dutch 1962

RE: Fruit Fly Control

Wine in a bowl covered in plastic wrap. Use a rubber band to make it tight and poke holes so they can get in (make sure they aren't too big so they cant get out. Place in your sink at night and on the counter during the day. Once you get several change the wine by dumping the old in your trash and taking it out right away! Vinegar and hot tap water works great in the drain too. We also put a wine container in the bathroom under a night light and caught several! (03/05/2008)

By Kael

Archive: Fruit Fly Control

There have been times in the past when a few fruit flies would come into my house via grocery shopping and they multiplied. I usually make sure there is no good food source for the little rascals, swat the ones I can, and they are gone within a few days.

We had a few show up about a month ago and I did all the usual stuff, but we soon had an invasion. I searched the house, and found that my son had left an open cup in the bottom of his closet. It had contained a milkshake, and the little buggers came flying out of it like crazy.

I make sure that all food is covered, dishes are rinsed and put in the dishwasher, trash is removed daily. I removed the cat bowls and am temporarily using small paper plates that are tossed out daily. I've even put all the plants outdoors. The little monsters will not go away.

It's annoying to try to eat a sandwich and shew fruit flies at the same time. They are in every room in the apartment. I know they usually lay their eggs in a food source, but I feel like I've eliminated any potential nesting areas. Short of an insect bomb, does anyone have an idea of how to get rid of these pests?

Dianne from OR

Feedback:

RE: Fruit Fly Control

Gnats from plants: in a spray bottle, fill with water, a few drops dish soap and a few drops of peppermint oil (essential oil). Spray the soil where the gnats are.

Fruit flies: open a bottle of gel hand sanitizer. Gnats love this and then get stuck in the gel.

Pouring bleach down your drain is bad for the environment and also not a good idea if you have a septic tank. (10/04/2008)

By yaffadreams

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I made a funnel of paper and placed and taped it over a jar with a little pineapple juice mixed with vinegar. The fruit flies are drawn to the mixture and they can manage to get into the jar down the funnel, but cannot figure out how to get back out. I have eliminated whole rooms of fruit flies by doing this. Any kind of fruit will work, especially if it is starting to rot, but with the lack of rotting fruit, the juice mixture works great. (10/04/2008)

By Mom to 11

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I have the little devils too. I found they like the bubbles when I put dishes in to soak. I use an old plastic glass and put dish soap, then run the water into the glass to fill it with a nice head of soap bubbles. I will come out later to find the little guys have expired on the foam. I also have the pantry moths from a box of dog bones that are driving us crazy too.

Kathy (NJ) (10/05/2008)

By katlyn

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I can appreciate your frustration as I have to deal with them as well. So much so that I wonder if they have beat the rabbit as the fastest multiplying life form on earth.

Here are some of the things that have worked for me:

1. Take a pill bottle and carve a hole in the center of the top of the lid. Fashion a small funnel out of a piece of glossy magazine paper. Fill the bottle 1/4 way with witch hazel, put on the lid and insert the funnel. Then place it in the area where the fruit fly infestation is the worse. The flies are attracted by the smell of the witch hazel. They fly into the funnel to get at it, but cannot find their way back out and drowning in the very thing that attracted them.

2. Second, get them drunk. Seriously, but a bottle of generic Kahula and put about one ounces in a rocks glass. The smell of the sweet coffee liquor attracts them and when they attempt to get to the weetness, the alcohol hits them first. So they end up in the bottom of the glass, wait for it. Dead drunk.

Of course wash the mix down the drain unless you are really really needing a drink. Just figure you can get some protein while you get bombed.
(10/05/2008)

By Bob P

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I used to be a bartender and we used to pour some wine in a shallow cup and add some dish soap. The little pests go after the wine and coat their wings with the soap so they can't fly out. You don't have to mix it, just let the soap float on top. (10/06/2008)

By sassybritches

RE: Fruit Fly Control

I've tried the vinegar and dish soap, it works pretty well, especially if you put it under a single light in a room overnight. The best thing I've found is to hang a sticky fly strip where they seem to be the worst, usually next to the kitchen sink. I don't hang it over the sink because one year I ended up with my hair caught on the fly strip. Yuck. It usually only takes a week to catch all the original flies and the ones that hatch out a few days later. (10/06/2008)

By chriself

RE: Fruit Fly Control

This works. One small jar filled half-full with water. Add two drops of dish soap which breaks up the surface tension. Add the butt slice of an orange or lemon and fully submerge. The flies are attracted to the fruit, but drown because there is no surface tension on the water. (03/10/2009)

By saddlebag

Getting Rid of Fruit Flies, Fruit Fly on Apple
Getting Rid of Fruit Flies
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesSeptember 4, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Apricots hanging on the tree.
Growing Apricots
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
Getting Rid of Fruit Flies
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 10:02:45 AM on 10.0.1.159 in 846 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings