Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom

My mom's birthday is coming up and I don't know what to give her, but the good thing is I saved up my money. I have 412$; anyone want to give some suggestions?

By Hailey from Spring, TX

Does she have a computer? You can get a nice one for $400 if you shop around. That's in a large town.

You know better than the rest of us what your Mother likes, needs, or wants.

Find out what her hobbies are? And or where her favorite place is to shop is? Sometimes a gift card where she shops is best. :)

Give her a hug and tell her you love her. That is priceless. And f you feel like you need to do more take her to a dinner and a movie. My mom love it when she doesn't have to cook and gets to see a movie that interests her.

Another idea to give your mom for her birthday is make her a birthday cake and supper. Buy her some flowers. And give her coupons for doing jobs around the house for her like washing the fridge n stove around Christmas. I also remember writing a letter to my mom once on Mother's Day, about how she was so special, letting her know about the times I knew she sacrificed in many ways, and went through a lot when we were kids. I do a lot of little things for my Mom too, like printing of the Net topics she talks to me about, since she has no internet. The other day I printed out the TOU table, this is the Time Of Use Table for hydro costs through out the day, and on different months. I sometime take her dog for walks too. This are just a few ideas for you.

By now your mother probably has more "stuff" than places to put it. You can buy her a cheap $300 - $400 laptop online, and set up Skype for her. Nowadays almost all laptops have web cams built in, and with Skype she can video chat with family and friends for free. Skype is free.

The ability to do that will mean a lot more to her than any material goods. Setting it up is easy, and you can rig it so that it automatically starts, and all she has to do is select the person she wants to chat with.

This year you can set her up with a $10 head set, next year give her a desk microphone and a set of speakers (or connect a speaker cable to her home stereo), so that she can continue chatting while working in the kitchen. When I see how my father lights up, when I skype him at his breakfast table 8 time zones away from here, I know that there is no better gift than giving the ability to communicate.

Have FUN!

You've had some pretty good ideas, overall. Here's my two cents:

I don't know what your mom's income bracket is, so I hope I don't offend. The amount you named would pay one major bill (like mortgage or rent), or most of it. For me personally, that amount would also pay several smaller bills. (I'm thinking phone, electric and gas; we're on the percentage plan.) Of course, you'd need the information like to whom to write the check, payment address, etc, so it would be difficult to do it secretly.

On a smaller scale, my younger daughter and her hubby took us grocery shopping for Christmas a couple of years ago. We chose the food within the dollar amount they could spend, and they paid. Given your budget, you could stock Mom up on her favorite "luxury" foods, all the non-food items, etc, for some time. If you want time together, a day spa or mini-vacation together would be great.

What I asked for and got last year was the gift of time. My two daughters and one daughter-in-law and I all went to an inexpensive restaurant for lunch and enjoyed each other's company. Then we went back to my daughter-in-law's and put on a video. Of course, we spent more time playing with my grandson than watching the movie, but that's beside the point.

Last but not least, I love to window-shop at, which has adaptive tools for blind, deaf and mobility-impaired folks. I'd shop rather than window-shop if I could. I'm waiting for my next generous friend or family member to send me a gift certificate so I can get some things I need without paying out-of-pocket when I can't spare the cash.

Hope I've been of some help. Happy birthday to your mom!

What I want from my sons for my birthday or Christmas is a Roomba. I detest vacuuming, and we have 2 cats, so there is lots to clean. I do also have a lovely Dyson vacuum, but it doesn't push itself! Another gift I love is perfume. You wouldn't spend $400 on that, but it is a delightful gift.

If you are prepared to spend all that amount, what about a mother/daughter outing, take in a concert & supper at a fancy restaurant, a mom/daughter day at a spa getting massages and manicures, or go shopping for clothes with mom to her favorite store, you can buy an outfit and then do lunch. If I had a daughter, I'd love to do those things.

Does she have a ceiling fan? They can be bought reasonably cheap. Take her to dinner at her favorite restaurant and give her gift certificates to that restaurant or to stores she likes to shop at. Or, certificates to local movie theaters, or a dinner and a play, some form of entertainment. Certificates are my favorite gifts, helps me go places or eat out, that my limited income won't allow me to do otherwise. I am still trying to convince my kids of this for Christmas.

November 5, 2011 Flag

My mom's birthday is this month, so I'm planning to get some clothes for her, she likes classic clothes. Any suggestions? Please help.

By Max

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would go to somewhere like Sears, or JC Penny. Ask a sales clerk for help or assistance picking out an outfit. I know lots of people in retail and they honestly like being asked to do so. They say it's a lot of fun picking out clothes for others, rather than standing behind the register or folding clothes in the back. So don't hesitate to ask! That's what they are there for.

As a mom, I would be thrilled to have my son take me shopping for clothes. That would solve the problem of size and color choices. It is hard to buy clothes without first trying them on, unless you stick to pretty simple items like sweaters . Even then, it can be tricky. This year there are a lot of shawls and ponchos and such things. Those would be good items to get, as there is no size/fit issue with those. But, personally, I'd like to be taken on a shopping outing by my son.

I know a lot of people don't like gift certificates and cards, but I love getting the things! I think your mum would love to have a gift card for one or two of her favourite shops-that way she can go in and try on anything she likes at a time of convenience to her.

Put the gift card inside a special greeting to her, and she'll be over the moon at your thoughtfulness.

I'm with Louell53. I've never had a son who was willing to take me clothes shopping, although a daughter has at least once. You and he can make the day completely special without spending a fortune by stopping in to a local coffee house or tea room, either before or after your shopping trip. And please, turn off your cell phone and show your mother some attention! My younger son took me for pizza a couple of years ago for my birthdday and spent most of the time texting the gal who later became his wife. Grr!

A daughter hugging her mother on her birthday.
Birthday Gift Ideas for Your Mom
Holidays and Parties Gifts BirthdayOctober 9, 2010
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift basket with green ribbon.
Making a Mother's Day Gift Basket
Two child's hand print ornaments.
Homemade Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom
Birthday Party
Planning a Birthday Party for a Parent