Use Tuna Water to Tempt Senior Cat to Eat Dry Food

As he gets older, my 15 year old kitty Taz (named after the Tasmanian Devil because that's what we thought he was when he was little. Boy was he wild!), is becoming very finicky with his dry cat food and he doesn't like the senior food at all.

However, he does "love" the liquid from our tuna when we make tuna salad, and cries for it whenever we open a can. He will eat anything I drizzle tuna juice over. We buy the tuna in water, and I have started saving all the liquid whenever we open a can. I put it in the fridge, but if I have a lot, I make ice cubes out of it to keep in the freezer in a Ziploc. I then thaw a cube as I need it.

When we feed Taz, we drizzle a tablespoon of tuna juice over his dry food, and he very happily eats every bite. The tuna softens it a bit, makes it taste better, and as an added bonus, it's good for him!

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

I do the same with salmon juice and tuna as u said. Our cat also is becoming picky about her Iams. I guess I would get bored too, if I ate the same thing every day.:)

I'm going to keep trying this with our Sir Catty-Kit who will be 6 on Feb 14, 2011. So far, he objects to any food at all other than his Purina Adult Cat Chow mixed equals parts with Purina Naturals and Purina Kitten Chow. He will only eat when there's all three foods mixed in his bowl.

When my husband brings the new bags home to be mixed, Kit jumps up on a chair and watches every move he makes, just as if he knows exactly how it's all being done. I believe he counts the number of scoops, but he'd never let us know he's that smart, too afraid of having to go to work maybe.

I'm glad to know that others have had some luck with the tuna juice though. I was once told that I should be using tuna packed in oil, but we don't like that, so Kit is just going to have to learn to tolerate the tuna "water".

Thank you for sharing this information.

Pookarina

I've done this to give medicine to cats, too. Great idea for older cats! Thanks for sharing...

I'm going to try this with my dog.

Thank you for sharing. I have done this for many years. I worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years and our Dr.'s recommended using tuna in water to give meds. You can also have your meds compounded in to a flavored syrup, or you can just buy the syrup for a picky eater and drizzle it on their food. You can buy this at your local pharmacy. The syrup come in different flavors.

That is so cute! My cats are 2 1/2 but they love tuna too and want it when I open a can. I will try this for them if they decide that they don't like the dry food I buy.

An excellent idea. Keep in mind that older cats often have sensitive teeth, and need softer food. It can look like they are just "off their feed", but a softer diet can solve the problem.

You've accidentally discovered that cats & dogs DO NOT LIKE DRY FOOD! I don't care what you've heard it DOES NOT keep their teeth from forming cavities it's just the OPPOSITE. The dry food sticks to the teeth more. Don't listen to you Vet & well meaning friends keep moistening that kibble!

Feeding a Picky Cat
Feeding a Picky Cat
Pets FoodSeptember 1, 2010
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Tuna Wrap
Tuna Wrap Recipes
Tuna Tetrazzini
Tuna Tetrazzini Recipes
soft cat food
Feeding a Cat Soft Food
🎉
🎄