Grout Smell After Toilet Overflow

My young daughter clogged the toilet, when using the bathroom, with too much toilet paper. She flushed the toilet and *everything* overflowed on to the floor. Our floors are 12" x 12" ceramic tile with 1/2" grout lines between each tile. I have tried everything I can possibly think of short of replacing all the grout to remove the foul smell in the bathroom, but to no avail. Any suggestions???

Thank you,

Jeni G.

I would try bleach water. spray it on all the grout and wash off after leaving it on for awhile. Make sure your bathroom fan is on.

Try pouring vinegar on it. Vinegar neutralizes a lot of odors.

Call the local janitor supply store. They supply hospitals, which deal with such cleaning issues, also.

The even have a safe bacteria in a liquid form that eats organic waste. I had a home daycare, and depended on that product for accidents while potty training.

I read earlier on Thrifty Fun that you can use peroxide to clean grout. I don't know if it would get rid of bad smell, however.....but I would say maybe spray it on the grout and let it sit for awhile, then clean off?

The peroxide will foam if there is bacteria or dirt there. I don't think it will need to be rinsed off but it might work to get rid of the smell. You could also try rubbing baking soda into the grout. As it dries it should take the smell with it. Then sweep it up and throw it away.

You say you have used a lot of different things trying to clean it. You want to be very careful mixing a lot of chemicals together. Vinegar, peroxide and baking soda are pretty harmless. If you have used bleach, don't use anything with ammonia or visa versa. These two make a toxic gas.

There is a product called ZeroOdor that is used the cean up after pet poo. It is super for odor and stains. I use it.

It's on the internet at its own site.

A less costly brand is Nature's Miracle. Others swear by it, but it didn't work as well for me. If it works for you, you save. At pet stores.

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomOctober 2, 2004
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎄