Finding a Stopper for Bathtub Overflow Drain

A bathtub's overflow drain.
The overflow drain in the bathtub is meant to prevent the tub from overflowing. However for many people it also prevents them from drawing a deep enough bath to cover their body. Here are some suggestions about after market options to bypass the overflow drain.

Related Product:

3 Questions

Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

November 6, 2019

I have a bathtub in my basement that is directly underneath my kitchen. The kitchen and bathtub drainpipes must connect underneath the basement floor, and the bathtub drain regularly (every six months) starts backing up with waste water from the kitchen.

I'm installing a sealable stopper on the bathtub drain to prevent backups through the drain, but the tub overflow remains open. Is there a seal/stopper I can buy to prevent air/water from backflowing up the overflow tube when the tub isn't in use? I'm currently the only person using this bathtub/shower, so I'm not worried about safety issues and can disable/remove it if this changes. Thanks!


Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
November 7, 20190 found this helpful
Best Answer

There are many different kinds you can buy for your tub. Here are some that Amazon sells -


What you should do is go to a plumbing shop in your area with an image of the hole you want to close up and seal. I would also take a photo of this and if you can measure it this would be even better. They are experts and have all the materials needed to do your job. Other than this you can take your chances and order online.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
November 8, 20190 found this helpful
Best Answer

Looks like the link Judy posted is what you are looking for but I'm wondering if you should not try to find out exactly why this is happening as this does not sound like a good thing to me.


Closing/sealing everything off may cause more (different) problems as it appears there is need for this overflow and some sort of backup is causing this to happen.
Plumbing services are very expensive but if you go to an Ace Hardware or maybe a plumbing parts store someone may be able to tell you what you can do to stop this from happening.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question

June 25, 2008

I just moved into an apartment with a claw foot tub. The tub is located below a set of stairs so there is not shower capabilities. There is a hand held nozzle that I can use but I'm getting comfortable with the idea of taking baths daily.

Here is my problem that I am searching for suggestions. The main drain has a stopper that works excellently. There is a separate drain about 5 inches below the faucet that if the water gets to that point will automatically drain it out.

I won't lie, I'm not a size 0 person, so I need more water to cover my body than a smaller person might. When I fill it to a point (with me in it), where it covers my body it takes about 10 seconds before the waters drains out super fast and then I'm back to square one.

How can I keep the second drain from draining automatically, both so I can soak in the water but also so I don't have to hear that loud gurgling sound while I'm trying to relax? Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Danielle from Hoboken, NJ


By Cathy (Guest Post)
June 25, 20080 found this helpful

I would just stuff the corner of a wash rag in the hole. It worked fine for the short time I was in

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
June 25, 20080 found this helpful

I had the same problem and just bought an over-flow cover for about $5 from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's called a "Deep Water Bath" and here is a link to it from (Affiliate Link)


It works GREAT and I have nice full baths now.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question


ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.

June 25, 2008

My bathtub overflow valve is set too low in the tub, and I can't fill the tub up past my thighs. I love hot baths, so this is really cramping my style. I remember at one time, Bed Bath & Beyond sold a clear plastic cup-like device that clamped on over the overflow to block it, but I can't find this now. Does anyone know where I can buy one, or know of another solution for my over-zealous overflow?

Kelly from Dallas, TX


Blocking Bathtub Overflow Valve

I had the same problem in my last house. I unscrewed the round overflow plate, just enough to loosen it, then turned it so the hole was on the top of the plate instead of the bottom. At least it gave me a few more inches. Good luck! (01/18/2008)


By Kate

Blocking Bathtub Overflow Valve

I think Miles Kimball sells a plastic cover with suctions. I'm sure I've seen one somewhere recently; in fact, I had one for years and threw it away when I could no longer get in the tub. Also, try Home Trend catalog and Carol Wright Gifts catalog - these are some other catalogs that I receive. If all else fails, you might try Googling "Bathtub Drain Covers". Good luck and God bless you. (01/18/2008)

By Pat Giles

Blocking Bathtub Overflow Valve

I too got mine from Miles Kimball catalog years ago. I would look at hardware stores or home supply stores like Lowe's and Home Depot. Or maybe an organizing/container type store or dollar store. It is always a case of seeing them everywhere until you need to buy one and then they are no where to be found.

Good luck!


By K

Comment Was this helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Product FinderNovember 21, 2019
Halloween Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2023-09-28 17:10:56 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.